Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• Brentford have a young Danish central defender on their books called Mads Sorensen. Only played once this season and has captained their youth team.
    Could be perfect for a loan until the end of the season if Brentford see him surplus to requirements or in need of game time.

• Surely if he is ready for league 1 football, Brentford would choose a club for him where he would be likely to start every game?
    If not quite ready would he be better than we already have?

• I'm amazed at how fans seem to be lookiing through rose tinted spectacles.The performance against Coventry was simply dreadful,huge gaps in midfield from the start and predictable attacking throughout -pump the high ball to Akinfenwa and he heads it on in the hope someone latches on to it. Will they never learn or be coached that with a small forward line the ball must be kept on the ground.Goals are currently at premium so we need to sign a goalscorer,an attacking midfielder and centre back cover if we are serious about promotion. The January window will reveal all.

• One of those BS transfer rumour accounts has made up that we're in for young QPR CB Conor Masterson - came through the Liverpool youth system - but that's the kind of thing which could end up becoming real, given that we're basically an official partner of theirs haha.

• Talk about Fred's unknown status reminds me that my son and I agreed at the weekend (a rarer event than it used to be) that we are rather fed up with the lack of reliable information/ news about injured players. It is one thing not to know the nature or significance of injuries - one can appreciate that Gareth may not wish to reveal too much information on that front - but it is another to be told for the last couple of weeks by club sources (such as the club website previews) that X and/or Y are being considered or that Gareth has a full squad to select from only to discover on match day that this is clearly not the case, given, for example, that neither Fred nor Grimmer have warmed up or been named on the bench.

Either the person writing this is being misinformed by Gareth or they are writing from a position of complete ignorance, presumably in a misguided attempt to stir up interest and/or optimism. Either way, what is being said is clearly untrue. This may not seem much but I find it an unnecessary move that causes an unwelcome sense of alienation. As I said, I can live with not knowing (though I would welcome more information if it were substantial) but I do not wish to be lied to by the club.

• @HCblue said:
    Talk about Fred's unknown status reminds me that my son and I agreed at the weekend (a rarer event than it used to be) that we are rather fed up with the lack of reliable information/ news about injured players. It is one thing not to know the nature or significance of injuries - one can appreciate that Gareth may not wish to reveal too much information on that front - but it is another to be told for the last couple of weeks by club sources (such as the club website previews) that X and/or Y are being considered or that Gareth has a full squad to select from only to discover on match day that this is clearly not the case, given, for example, that neither Fred nor Grimmer have warmed up or been named on the bench.

Either the person writing this is being misinformed by Gareth or they are writing from a position of complete ignorance, presumably in a misguided attempt to stir up interest and/or optimism. Either way, what is being said is clearly untrue. This may not seem much but I find it an unnecessary move that causes an unwelcome sense of alienation. As I said, I can live with not knowing (though I would welcome more information if it were substantial) but I do not wish to be lied to by the club.

I have brought this up before and I'm pretty sure that I got shot down by gasroomers pretty much suggesting that we would be letting onto our tactics.

I beg to differ, as paying supporters, we have a right to know who we are coming to watch, surely? It's very frustrating to say the least. As supporters we like to plan out our season in our fickle minds, and Fred coming back sooner rather than later would enhance our promotion hopes (in my mind at least).

• I think we're more secretive than most teams in the league. I genuinely don't see the harm in saying so-and-so "is about two weeks away" or at least saying what the injury is, which I don't think we do either? It's not as if it would put players under more pressure to rush back, as they're not going to be allowed back until the medical staff are satisfied that they're ready.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@HCblue said:
    Talk about Fred's unknown status reminds me that my son and I agreed at the weekend (a rarer event than it used to be) that we are rather fed up with the lack of reliable information/ news about injured players. It is one thing not to know the nature or significance of injuries - one can appreciate that Gareth may not wish to reveal too much information on that front - but it is another to be told for the last couple of weeks by club sources (such as the club website previews) that X and/or Y are being considered or that Gareth has a full squad to select from only to discover on match day that this is clearly not the case, given, for example, that neither Fred nor Grimmer have warmed up or been named on the bench.

I have brought this up before and I'm pretty sure that I got shot down by gasroomers pretty much suggesting that we would be letting onto our tactics.

I beg to differ, as paying supporters, we have a right to know who we are coming to watch, surely? It's very frustrating to say the least. As supporters we like to plan out our season in our fickle minds, and Fred coming back sooner rather than later would enhance our promotion hopes (in my mind at least).

My perspective is slightly different: I can just about live with not knowing, though I agree with you and @chairboyscentral that I see little harm in having more information than is customarily given and would feel more connected were that information provided, but take exception to being actively misled.

• edited December 2019

This is from the Coventry preview on the club website:

"Gareth Ainsworth hopes to welcome Dominic Gape, Curtis Thompson and ex-Sky Blue Jack Grimmer back into the squad after injury"

Not sure that's misleading, although it is a bit vague maybe.

• The danger of lack of information is that supporters start to put two and two together and very possibly get five. I confess I may well be guilty of that with Fred.

• edited December 2019

I'm not sure I could imagine how it could be any more misleading.

I hoped to win the Euromillions lottery on Friday but I wouldn't think to write it publicly if I thought anyone might place any reliance on my aspiration. By way of illustration, how would you interpret it if you read on the club website that Gareth hoped to sign player X in the January window other than thinking it would be a realistic hope? Again, it's one thing to be vague or uninformative. it's another to create a false sense of expectation.

• What is your five re Fred @DevC ? Or are you as reluctant to reveal what you are reading between the lines as the club are about the injury situation. Incidentally, it didn’t take a genius to realise that, if a tough nut like Curtis Thompson was in sufficient pain and as a result sufficiently incapacitated to be unable to continue at Fratton Park, he was extremely unlikely to be fully fit three days later.

Whilst in griping mode could I please put in another plea to posters not to copy down long screeds from immediately preceding posts on which they are commenting. We’re all perfectly capable of scrolling down if indeed the subject is of sufficient substance to warrant more than a quick scan.

• I think it would be great if the club went the other way:

Fred: "He had a little cough at 2pm, took a nap right after. Says the groin felt good till about 6pm, then started to ache a bit. He watched some telly and then took an early night. He will be in the team against Ipswich, but I won't bring him on till the 63rd minute, unless we are 2-0 down, then injury be damned."

Grimmer: "He was nauseous on Sunday evening, but felt better after the Coventry highlights were over. Knocked his elbow against a bookcase today, and has a little red welt as a result, but has a sticky plaster on it. I will definitely have him in the team for the postponed Peterborough game later this month."

Aarons: "He likes puppies and long romantic walks. Still feeling a little sore, but as soon as I told him he may have to go back to Newcastle, he swore he feels much better."

• @micra said:
    What is your five re Fred @DevC ? Or are you as reluctant to reveal what you are reading between the lines as the club are about the injury situation. Incidentally, it didn’t take a genius to realise that, if a tough nut like Curtis Thompson was in sufficient pain and as a result sufficiently incapacitated to be unable to continue at Fratton Park, he was extremely unlikely to be fully fit three days later.

Whilst in griping mode could I please put in another plea to posters not to copy down long screeds from immediately preceding posts on which they are commenting. We’re all perfectly capable of scrolling down if indeed the subject is of sufficient substance to warrant more than a quick scan.

Not a huge issue for me

• Nor me. Just a small but unnecessary irritant.

• Is that your only comment @eric_plant ?

• @micra said:
    What is your five re Fred @DevC ? Or are you as reluctant to reveal what you are reading between the lines as the club are about the injury situation. Incidentally, it didn’t take a genius to realise that, if a tough nut like Curtis Thompson was in sufficient pain and as a result sufficiently incapacitated to be unable to continue at Fratton Park, he was extremely unlikely to be fully fit three days later.

Point taken

• But not acted upon. Naughty boy (or girl) @thecatwwfc !
    Wonder how many girls post on the Gasroom in addition to @SmiroludyBlue?

• Hasn't Ainsworth already talked about hoping Fred will be like a new signing in January? The secrecy stuff is overstated, massaging egos of gasroomers isn't going to be high on his list.

• edited December 2019

I'm with @eric_plant I may be frustrated or surprised by the line-up but I don't need to see the x-rays or hear the manager explain why Y isn't playing myself. I would still be turning up to watch the team even if it turned out Y had fallen out with Rob C, had a Christmas day Twister injury or was in an X-Box* induced coma.

• or whatever the young people do nowadays after the Christmas pud.
  • Knowing everything seems like an ideal situation, but I bet if people truly knew everything to do with our club and our sport, they'd soon strive to get back to blissful ignorance.

• I'm with @HCblue on this one. Within the game, it's nigh on impossible to keep the seriousness of an injury totally secret. Players and scouts chat to each other. Most of the time, other managers will know/be informed. I even heard that Grimmer was travelling back down from Scotland Sunday? Common sense says that as he's been out for a a few weeks that he wouldn't even make the bench. Consequently, I do feel that I'm being told porkies by WWFC/GA, which does give a slight feeling of alienation. A little more honesty would be appreciated, or even "Fred will be out till probably February" & then when he comes back a month earlier then a feel good factor would be better.

• I just keep thinking Fred's been out for ages and we're still top. Be great when he comes back.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I just keep thinking Fred's been out for ages and we're still top. Be great when he comes back.

I expanded on that the other day, with Smyth has barely played, Aarons has been in and out, Kashket has about 4 goals, so who has actually been most responsible for this run!

And imagine if any of the above really take off and dominate things!

• Ahead of tomorrow: "Curtis Thompson returned to action on Sunday and Darius Charles is in contention to return against Ipswich, having been given time to rest after back-to-back games over Christmas. Dominic Gape and Jack Grimmer will face late fitness tests."

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Ahead of tomorrow: "Curtis Thompson returned to action on Sunday and Darius Charles is in contention to return against Ipswich, having been given time to rest after back-to-back games over Christmas. Dominic Gape and Jack Grimmer will face late fitness tests."

But what does that all really mean....? :smiley:

• Thompson will need some real physio treatment to get out for this one. Surely depends a lot on Gape's fitness too.

As despite talk of our strength of squad, Oforborh is the only one who can do either of their jobs. Bloomfield, Pattison and Freeman are all options in the other spot.

• I reckon Ofoborh can manage another start if not 90 minutes, but Blooms hasn't started a game all season so soon after playing the whole previous game. Maybe Ofoborh in the deep role with Pattison and Freeman ahead? I would be surprised if Thompson starts.

• I would be worried if Thommo starts. He needs a rest.

• It's certainly a difficult pick all round.
    Can JJ play another 90 back to back?

At least Ipswich haven't had the rest Coventry had just before though!