Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• Cant believe I'm saying this as I know I'm opening myself up to a load of abuse.... but I really dont get the Sido love..... there I've said it !! Nearly have a few times but stopped myself. Hes obviously a decent back up, but I personally wouldn't have him anywhere near our first team.

• I'd rather people admitted they're not keen on a player than supress that feeling for fear of backlash, so fair play.

• Thanks for the patient clarification on that stat, @chairboyscentral. It makes much more sense now!

• Agreed back in the late 80's, their was a big hype about John Kerr. He was very quick but the most one footed forward id ever seen at that level. I could never see the fuss about him.

• That surprises me.

I thought John Kerr was a terrific player, and he went on to play quite a few games for Millwall in (what is now called) The Championship

• His pace caught the eye, but decent defenders ushered him onto his weak foot, and often then had to turn back. His pace probably the reason he attracted attention. Played for 18 clubs world wide but never stayed very long at any of them. Incidentally he was the first player in the top flight to be substituted after coming on as a sub.

• I forgave him everything for that diving headed equaliser (I think) in the 3-3 vs Kidderminster (from 3-0 down).

• If I've been saying that you can only have five loanees, I've been getting it wrong. You can have EIGHT in the squad but only five in the matchday squad. Not sure whether we'll have the finances to support the wages of more than one or two more, but it could be useful.

• Send Aarons back and get a solid defender in on loan with the savings.

• @mooneyman said:
    Send Aarons back and get a solid defender in on loan with the savings.

I agree... if Fred and Smyth can stay injury free we dont need Aarons

• Strikers and wingers don't have to be on it every week in the same way defenders do but we need these three to deliver a lot more second half of the season , goals assists and tracking back / joining in. We've got almost no defensive cover that is really up to the job so we can't waist money on players who look flash occasionally but don't achieve anything.
    Really think all three can achieve great things but sooner rather than later would be nice. Also have no idea what if anything we are paying for the loaners.

• edited December 2019

Fred is going to have a big part to play in the second half of the season, and I think he'll more than rise to the challenge as long as he stays fit. Four goals in eight games was a great start to the season. I'd love to keep Aarons but not if it impedes our ability to bring in better defensive cover.

• edited December 2019

Smyth has also only started five league games, either side of a lengthy spell out - not really enough for him to make his mark, but I have absolute confidence that he will based on what I've seen of him here so far and for Accrington last season.

• It's a tricky one but with Freeman, Wheeler, Kashket and Smyth I think we have enough wide attacking players not to miss Aarons...but we do need defensive cover.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If I've been saying that you can only have five loanees, I've been getting it wrong. You can have EIGHT in the squad but only five in the matchday squad. Not sure whether we'll have the finances to support the wages of more than one or two more, but it could be useful.

Am I correct in saying that some of those can be season long and some have to be short terms? (Not that it matters because a January til end of season will she "short term" anyway)

• @HolmerBlue said:

That looks promising based on the first half of the season

• @thecatwwfc I'm not sure, but it doesn't make a difference at this stage as you say.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@mooneyman said:
    Send Aarons back and get a solid defender in on loan with the savings.

One missed about 2 1/2months, and one still hasn't come back in 3months.

What suggests either can stay injury free?!

• Smyth broke his foot - not really the kind of thing you can aggravate - but Fred's was a groin injury, was it?

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    Smyth broke his foot - not really the kind of thing you can aggravate - but Fred's was a groin injury, was it?

Yes, Fred's is more worrying, as he got it, missed a couple of games, came back, then massively did it again. So not surprising they're taking absolute kid gloves with him.

But either way, both have missed massive swathes. Which is good in a way, as we've held top without much from both!
    But then we've not had much from Aarons either. Or Kaskhet.

So you start wondering who has actually majorly contributed! The defensive lads and Bayo!

• Left straight after yesterday’s debacle but have heard a rumour that Rob C took the stage post match and announced there would be no funding for enhanced squad in the Jan window. True or nonsense?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Left straight after yesterday’s debacle but have heard a rumour that Rob C took the stage post match and announced there would be no funding for enhanced squad in the Jan window. True or nonsense?

That'd make Gareth's interview where he talks of being hopeful of 1 or 2 additions seem a bit strange!

• edited December 2019

There won't be funding for an "enhanced" squad in terms of bringing in a raft of permanent signings - not unless we're made an offer we can't refuse for someone maybe - but didn't we know that already?

• With Charles imminently out of contract, and Aarons loan ending mid Jan, there will be at least those 2 scenarios to sort out.

Aarons going back is the way we could see a signing or two coming in. I still think there's magic to come from him, probably in the same way people say it with Smyth.

• Maybe try and sort out a new deal for Gape now rather than in the summer?

• I just want to know what is going on with Fred FFS!

• We all do, I keep hoping to see him out there warming up - usually the sign that they'll be back the next game. It's been a shame to be without him for so long, the signing which really made the summer for me!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We all do, I keep hoping to see him out there warming up - usually the sign that they'll be back the next game. It's been a shame to be without him for so long, the signing which really made the summer for me!

Exactly that. You would argue that in losing McCarthy for Fred, given the current injuries...'on paper' our starting eleven looks weaker than last season!

In hindsight, we could really do with McCarthy right now!

• Just trying to imagine the gasroom if we were bottom...

• thecatwwfc. With McCarthy gone we have Grimmer, arguably our best signing. And in effect a new signing in Fred when fit, bit of a when I know but he and Jack G will be back and we will improve as a result.