Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• Maybe Tranmere 'just wanted it more.' Or maybe sometimes in football you lose games.

We all saw how excited the Wycombe squad were to draw Spurs a few years ago - do you really think these players wouldn't have desperately wanted to get the chance to play in the third round, and that they were just shrugging their shoulders at missing that opportunity?

• @Cyclops said:
    Giles Phillips seems to be catching the blame for Tranmere's equalizing goal; however it was a sloppy pass from Curtis, conceding possession, followed by a mis-judgement by Tools in relation to Ferrier's well timed curving run, which were the decisive factors in that passage of play. It happens.

It was both Phillips and Thompson sharing blame for that one. Sloppy ball like you say, but a chipped ball totally took Phillips out of the game.

Phillips worries me a little as he midjudges things a lot more than our other defenders. Yes he's inexperienced, but this is a football forum, so we can say it and not mean anyone ill.

• Well, it does happen, particularly in football. Do you manage to navigate your way through life without ever making a mistake? You need to try to maintain an element of balance, although I accept that might be counterproductive to your trolling activities.

• On a more positive note, Thompson did an absolutely superb turn with no space on the touchline, and totally bamboozled their man. One absolute highlight on a difficult night.

• @Malone Agreed about Thommo's fantastic turn on the touchline. My comment at 4.29 not aimed at you but at the glass half empty wally. Posts crossed, etc...

• If every footballer was robotically infallible, the game would be a complete snooze-fest.

• @Cyclops said:
    @Malone Agreed about Thommo's fantastic turn on the touchline. My comment at 4.29 not aimed at you but at the glass half empty wally. Posts crossed, etc...

haha, didn't think it was at me, but as it's a fair bit down this page, I did wonder who it was to!

• Mistakes happen at every level of the game. To suggest that they happened last night because the players had a couldn’t-care-less approach to the game is, as I said in an earlier post, an insult to their professionalism. Our players have shown time and time again that what they might lack in skill they more than make up for in desire and commitment to the cause. A lack of effort or will to win is the very last accusation that can be levelled at this group of players.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If every footballer was robotically infallible, the game would be a complete snooze-fest.

And in case it escaped anyone's grasp - we certainly wouldn't be sitting proudly on the top of league 1!!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Mistakes happen at every level of the game. To suggest that they happened last night because the players had a couldn’t-care-less approach to the game is, as I said in an earlier post, an insult to their professionalism. Our players have shown time and time again that what they might lack in skill they more than make up for in desire and commitment to the cause. A lack of effort or will to win is the very last accusation that can be levelled at this group of players.

Just for the avoidance if doubt and to stop you putting words in my mouth I don't doubt the players effort, integrity or professionalism. They have proved this time and time again.

I do wonder if the management could have made different selection decisions to improve our chances of winning. They chose to play senior players in a league when they could have been rotated then and played last night. That tells the priority on the games. That's their call but I disagree with it.

I do wonder if this had happened last season that the cash incentive might have weighed in more. Not a conspiracy per se. Just a thought.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Mistakes happen at every level of the game. To suggest that they happened last night because the players had a couldn’t-care-less approach to the game is, as I said in an earlier post, an insult to their professionalism. Our players have shown time and time again that what they might lack in skill they more than make up for in desire and commitment to the cause. A lack of effort or will to win is the very last accusation that can be levelled at this group of players.

I dont think anyone is qustion the players attitude, Its modern day football in general.
    I was one of the 300 or so supporters, who spent a lot of money on a freezing cold day
    in Birkenhead to see the Wanderers earn a replay.
    Its just in a day when we are constantly reminded that the club really appreciate our support, they then field a weakened team in a cup competition that has meant so much for so long to many long standing supporters.
    Its a modern thing, their is no way we would have fielded a below full strength team 20 years ago.

• Why would you field a weakened team in a league game?

• @ChasHarps Sunday Wednesday Saturday games...surely we had to rotate that's the point of having a 'squad'. The impression that they did not care about a competition in which we had potentially the easiest chance of progression for years is unlikely I think.

• I posted elsewhere this week Barnet only do on-line progammes I hope that during my lifetime we always have a paper progamme of some description to enjoy.

Why would you field a weakened team in a league game?

I would have fielded the strongest possible line up in both FA Cup and league games, changing half of your succesful back four is weakening your team.
    Im pretty sure we will see Grimmer,Charles,Stewart and Jacobson line up on Saturday.
    I dont care what anyone says, but clearly the Doncaster game has been prioritised.
    When you see really low gates all across the board for FA Cup games these days, it is solely down the football authorities and clubs demeaning the worlds most famous cup competition.

• @Cyclops said:
    Well, it does happen, particularly in football. Do you manage to navigate your way through life without ever making a mistake? You need to try to maintain an element of balance, although I accept that might be counterproductive to your trolling activities.

Haha! Someone dares to question and criticise and they’re both a troll and a wally. Funny it follows an argument about maintaining some balance. There’s no room for criticism on here is there? It’s all about subservience and allegiance to the cause.

No one can ever expect infallibility from our players but there was a clear drop in the standard of our league performances last night. Most notably in our intensity.

• edited November 2019

If we didn't have another game coming up on Tuesday - potentially our biggest game of the season so far - then maybe we would have seen less rotation last night, but expecting to get optimum performance out of our 'first' team in four games in ten days is unrealistic.

Are you saying the team last night was a weakened one? I thought you were a squad advocate.

For me I'd have played the Sunday team last night and the Wednesday team last Sunday.

On rotation my only real issues was leaving out both JJ and Charles as well as swapping Bayo and Curtis with the game on the line. In my old fashioned way I have to assume injuries.

• It was weakened, but sometimes teams have to be slightly - and I agree with what others have said that those players need first team football. Maybe it's a generational thing, but the league has to be the priority in my opinion. And on another occasion, last night's side would have got the job done.

• "slightly" Arguably our two standout candidates for player of the season both rested,
    and replaced with two young highly inexpierenced young pro's who probably dont muster double figure 1st team games between them.
    Then withdraw Bayo at half time, and remove our only real goal threat in Kashket.

• @ChasHarps said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I would have fielded the strongest possible line up in both FA Cup and league games, changing half of your succesful back four is weakening your team.
    Im pretty sure we will see Grimmer,Charles,Stewart and Jacobson line up on Saturday.
    I dont care what anyone says, but clearly the Doncaster game has been prioritised.
    When you see really low gates all across the board for FA Cup games these days, it is solely down the football authorities and clubs demeaning the worlds most famous cup competition.

I watched a couple of non-league clubs host first round ties earlier this month and the magic was palpable. You could really feel it and it was magical.

Apart from a few old farts like me hankering for the old days it was depressingly lacking at Adams Park last night.

For clubs like Wycombe Wanderers it seems the magic only starts in the third round. Using the first two rounds for squad rotation leads to cup exits like last night. In the circumstances we don’t deserve any of the magic.

• For me, the PL and CL killed a lot of the cup magic. It was the pinnacle of the game until top clubs stopped playing their strongest sides. Now, a giant killing usually refers to beating at least half of a B team. I still love the cup, but it is not at all what it used to be.

If every footballer was robotically infallible, the game would be a complete snooze-fest.

Isn’t that @DevC’s perfect vision for the game?

• I wonder what a RoboRef would be like??

• Why are we talking about playing a weakened team?Gareth trusts all his squad to rotate as and when, with a Sunday game played, and two important games coming up next week, our midfield and forward line are players who will start any league game, and with Darius only able to play once a week, the defences only other change was to the left back, are we blaming the result on one player? This is football, teams lose, favourites lose, 10 men teams win, its nearly December and we’ve only lost once , come May, we won’t be talking about this game, we’ll be talking about automatic promotion, or play off games, or worst still, how we started off so we’ll, but then faded

• Sido might well have been in for Darius if fatherhood hadn’t been imminent. Whether that would have altered the outcome we’ll never know.

• @bookertease said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Isn’t that @DevC’s perfect vision for the game?

Not sure @bookertease if you are deliberately misrepresenting what I have said or whether you have not understood what I have been trying to say.

Perhaps football's greatest charm is that it is a chaotic spontaneous game. Its why for my taste I infinitely prefer it to what I see as more regimented structured games like say American football.

This season I have "found" my local Western league team and been to quite a few games. I think they operate at roughly the level of Beaconsfield/Flackwell heath (but might be a level or two out either way).

Plainly these players are much less talented (and much less organised) than Lg1 players. But I have thoroughly enjoyed every game partly because of its unpredictability. Indeed it is certainly arguable that the higher the level the duller the game - international football while technically outstanding is often virtually unwatchable.

Where we disagree is that I relish the contest between the skills and fallibilities of the 22 players. I don't need refereeing mistakes to enhance the enjoyment. I don't need players throwing themselves to the floor in attempts to con the referee to make football a watchable spectacle.

If I understand your argument, you actively welcome the refereeing fallibilities as an integral part of the game. (the time delays of VAR not being the issue for you). I don't. I think the game is the 22 players. If we could get every refereeing decision right instantly (and in the process cut out the diving and abuse of referees) I would. Genuine difference of opinion, you are entitled to your view, I to mine, I sup[pose.

• @Gooner1963 said:
    Why are we talking about playing a weakened team?Gareth trusts all his squad to rotate as and when, with a Sunday game played, and two important games coming up next week, our midfield and forward line are players who will start any league game, and with Darius only able to play once a week, the defences only other change was to the left back, are we blaming the result on one player? This is football, teams lose, favourites lose, 10 men teams win, its nearly December and we’ve only lost once , come May, we won’t be talking about this game, we’ll be talking about automatic promotion, or play off games, or worst still, how we started off so we’ll, but then faded

In effect it was 2 players - both in defence.
    You could easily argue the rest was as strong as we had available.

It wasn't like the Checkatrade which was massive changes

And the key point is we still should have won, with both the situation of the game in general and the amount of chances. No one would have been moaning about weakened lineups if we'd gone through.

Still super frustrating to lose the chance of what was in effect as close to a bye in the second round as you can get, but it is what it is now - and we move on.

• A win tomorrow and Wednesday night will be put to rest. COYB's

• @wformation said:
    A win tomorrow and Wednesday night will be put to rest. COYB's

Why? Does a win tomorrow qualify us for the second round of the FA Cup with the home draw against the lowest ranked team left in the competition?