Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Can people please be a bit more sympathetic to all the doom mongers and misery merchants coming out of the woodwork tonight?

It’s been a very, very difficult season for them so far as Wycombe fans.

Hear, hear to this post.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@DJWYC14 said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Would have hoped some that were given opportunities to prove a point tonight (Pattison for example) might have shown a bit more though?

To be fair to Parker I thought he had a couple of decent efforts when he came on

Mascott and Phillips - meh. Don't think that equaliser happens with Charles & JJ on the left of defence frankly.

Mascoll and Phillips are both very early in their professional careers and have done well in general, but they are still learning. They will only get better. Let's not go being too critical of such inexperienced players.

Of course. It's just very frustrating to be out of the FA Cup, and to have lost out on a potential windfall which could also harm our capability to carry out effective January transfer activity. Not going to enjoy having no game from 26th November until 14th December when we could have been competing in the FA Cup and bringing in important funds. At 1-0 up at HT vs 10 men I think it was a complacent performance thereafter which started with the Bayo sub. A gamble that didn't pay off and with consequences.

First half we played some good stuff and fully deserved our lead which makes it all the more frustrating.

As for other posts above I agree that Kashket and Smyth did well. Samuel was the under-par performer up top.

Maybe the gamble was starting Bayo for 45 not taking him off, he probably needs the rest.

Exactly what our group said, might have been better to start Samuel and bring Bayo on, but it's all hind sight. We could easily have won that 4-0, we didn't, we move on. Tonight hasn't changed my thoughts that we are a genuinely good L1 side as we were far superior to them, but just came up against a keeper having a great game and a stubborn defence who earned some luck

• Tonight showed again how important bayo is.
    Without him we had zero presence.

It was a strange situation where we had a lot of shots on goal but it never felt like we'd score again.

Parker surely has to play central or not at all.

Phillips and mascoll can slot in individually here and there but i don't like both together.
    The first goal was a dreadful misplaced pass but then Phillips caught out by thelobg ball

Not too worried about saturday bearing in mind jj, charles and Bloomfield come in fresh. Thompson and bayo came off fairly early as well. Hopefully arrons can come back in as well.

Slightly concerned at that two and a half werk gap without a game now.

Maybe someone at the club is already checking to see if we can move a game with a fellow knocked outee.

Maybe not sunderland away though as that will get people twitching due to arrangements made!

• No one is saying the extra revenue wouldn't have been nice, but it's not like we needed it to keep the club going, pay the wages and whatnot is it? It's a frustrating defeat from that point of view but not a catastrophic one. Were we ever likely to go and splurge on a 'marquee' signing anyway?

• edited November 2019

That time off before the manic Christmas period could prove to be a very good thing, like a winter break that most teams won't have.

• My thoughts... 1-0 up at half time against 10 men it should of been game over. Just my opinbut I'd have done it the other way round, started with Samuel and brought Bayo on for the onslaught at the end. Had a feeling it might not of been our night when their keeper pulled off a couple of fantastic saves to be fair. I agree we passed it around a bit too much in and around the area when we could've had a shot. I actually thought the young left back Mascoll did well, also Stewart, and Smyth. Thought it was a slightly under par night for Bayo(knackered) Kashket and Thompson. Big pay day missed. Nevermind, concentrate on the league now

• @chairboyscentral said:
    That time off before the manic Christmas period could prove to be a very good thing, like a winter break that most teams won't have.

Could work out well if the weather dips and everyone else's fixtures pile up

• Gutted fa cup dreams over for another season agree with @DJWYC14 summary of the game. Think we need to sign a centre back in january if possible. I guess we can focus on the league now.

• Not getting promoted with gutless performances like that

• Its one bad game dissapointing but not the end of the world @Shitchair so far this season has been amazing lets not forget how far weve came top of league one.

• I wouldn't put a CB down as a priority. We've got two excellent ones, a very good one and a youngster who's showed plenty of promise. Maybe a RB who can also play there, though - wouldn't be ideal for Sido to have to fill in for Grimmer for a sustained period of time, as he's much better at CB.

• Oh and one more thing that was a shocker. Ref booking their GK for his celebration after the first goal then bottling it with all his time wasting antics. Seemed to ignore the fact it was happening! A final warning and stronger stance was required.

Not that it really would have helped us necessarily, from minute 45-120 it was just huge frustration all round

• I can't agree with the point about revenue @chairboyscentral, I think we desperately needed that income. The Couhig's are here to clear debt and oil the wheels of revenue generation, which begins with increased gates. The FA Cup always draws in a significant number of folk that don't come regularly or even only occasionally. Our general lack of cup form (all competitions) is a significant barrier to coaxing newbies in. We can't afford the Championship if we can't hugely increase revenue and massively strengthen the team (at huge cost). The mutterings around tonight were "if this is how we play against Tranmere, we would be destroyed in the Championship. I am positive and of course excited about what we're doing in general but very concerned that we continue to throw away golden opportunities of football fortune.

• Not convinced about Phillips and Sido seems well out of favour but agree he can do a job my worry is that Charles gets injured tonight shows how much we missed him.

• I'm not sure what's sadder: the reaction after any disappointing performance/defeat, or how predictable it all is.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I can't agree with the point about revenue @chairboyscentral, I think we desperately needed that income. The Couhig's are here to clear debt and oil the wheels of revenue generation, which begins with increased gates. The FA Cup always draws in a significant number of folk that don't come regularly or even only occasionally. Our general lack of cup form (all competitions) is a significant barrier to coaxing newbies in. We can't afford the Championship if we can't hugely increase revenue and massively strengthen the team (at huge cost). The mutterings around tonight were "if this is how we play against Tranmere, we would be destroyed in the Championship. I am positive and of course excited about what we're doing in general but very concerned that we continue to throw away golden opportunities of football fortune.

Going up this season was never the aim, but it's not like we can stop it happening. Football fortune is exactly what it says on the tin, and while tonight was disappointing and frustrating, it's not like we deliberately passed up on the opportunity of a big pay day. Let's remember where we are financially compared to the end of last season.

I'm not sure what's sadder: the reaction after any disappointing performance/defeat, or how predictable it all is.

Eh?

• The doom-mongers, tbh I probably thought I was still on Twitter then lol.

• Yes, night, night everyone. Apologies if I seemed negative, I love this team but having seen how close we have been (indeed to some extent are) to financial meltdown, I find it hard when we seem unable to take advantage of a reasonable payday. Still, I'll keep on buying shares, paying out for the 500 Club etc., so I must be along for the long haul! COYB!

• We won't really know the full repercussions till the end of the season. If we somehow pull off promotion, I am sure none of us would change a thing. I always feel as though the cup derailed Notts County in our promotion season.

It's gutting in one sense, but to me something special is still happening!

I'm not sure what's sadder: the reaction after any disappointing performance/defeat, or how predictable it all is.

Tom, I think you need to decide whether to be a dispassionate, analytical journalist or an Alan Parry-style ostrich-like cheerleader. Both are perfectly admirable roles and both have a place on here. But you show a lot of promise in the former; in which case, it's disappointing to see you vent frustration at those pointing out weaknesses in our set-up tonight or bemoaning the result.

• Woke up still gutted.

But we rested a few players, took other key ones off early and created way more than them.
    They sucker punched us. It happens. That's why we all love football.

No reason this should derail us in any way. Just a real shame to see that 120k and as close to guaranteed 3rd game disappear.

However, we're still in a superb position and will have an amazing two and a half week rest period to go again.
    We could give the likes of bayo a mini holiday to get him 100% as he's played a load of games and is still our key man

• Without massively doom-mongering given our current position... I thought Grimmer had a poor game, after the missed chance he struggled to make any pass or cross count.

Also Freeman, slowed the play down too often - I know his role is to dictate play and control tempo, but that doesn't always have to be right down. You expect your playmaking midfielder to contribute more than stopovers and occasional good ball.

Mostly though, how we looked inept going forward without Bayo.

• Results like this always come along to keep football fans feet on the ground.

The real question will be how we respond. We’ve two tricky games coming up in quick succession after a physically and mentally tiring 120 minutes. I’d be happy with 2 or 3 points out of those as it would be easy to go into our ‘break’ on the back of two defeats

• Felt gutted about the result last night. Woke up early this morning and immediately felt that sinking feeling and then realised how long it's been since I've felt like that about Wycombe (after Oxford away last season probably). Cup runs are one of the best things about football and we really could have done with the money but it's easy to forget just how well things are going right now and I'd rather be where we are than where Tranmere are.

• edited November 2019

@aloysius said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Tom, I think you need to decide whether to be a dispassionate, analytical journalist or an Alan Parry-style ostrich-like cheerleader. Both are perfectly admirable roles and both have a place on here. But you show a lot of promise in the former; in which case, it's disappointing to see you vent frustration at those pointing out weaknesses in our set-up tonight or bemoaning the result.

No, I was venting at those overreacting - not on here but elsewhere. If you read my stuff earlier in the season, when we were winning but with less impressive all-round performances (weaker at the back, for example), I picked up on our weaknesses accordingly. Last night was disappointing and frustrating, but some fans act like it's the end of the world.

Don't tell me what you think I need to be (and I'm a writer, not a journalist - and I'm not sure why you think I'm dispassionate, I've been quite partisan lately).

• Don't think anyone is saying it's the end of the world tbh (minus one troll who should be ignored anyway).

Just understandable frustration with the result given how the game went and what was at stake.

• I’m not sure that Tranmere are being given enough credit for that result. We can point to individual mistakes and some of the passing and crossing was below par, but that was almost the perfect example of how to play 10 v 11. We lauded the defensive performance on Sunday but, if we’re being honest, that was just as good from them.

• edited November 2019

@DJWYC14 said:
    Don't think anyone is saying it's the end of the world tbh (minus one troll who should be ignored anyway).

Just understandable frustration with the result given how the game went and what was at stake.

Again, I'm referring to reaction elsewhere, the most disappointing of which has been an apparent dismissal of some of the 'squad players' who were involved last night. Phillips, for example, didn't have a great game and he and Mascoll were at fault for the first goal, but we did almost beat a Championship team with a heavily rotated side (which included both of them). I'm frustrated, but I wasn't effing and blinding and calling players useless at full-time, questioning their attitude and whatnot (as I heard at and on the way out of the game). Anyway, we've got a big game on Saturday with even more at stake. This could still be a special season.