Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• Some good news: Doncaster knocked AFC Wimbledon out, meaning that as long as all goes well with the new ground, we'll never have to go to Kingsmeadow again (we'll, not to play them anyway)!

• Big game tonight given what could be at stake moving forward. Won't be easy as I am sure Tranmere will be licking their wounds and after revenge. Things are going so well for us at the moment I am almost waiting for something to go wrong! Fingers crossed we can continue ruining their season!

• Agreed @DJWYC14, definitely "squeaky bum time" for me. However, this squad is special, will be fully aware of the stakes and we should all continue to believe (squeak, squeak!).?

• edited November 2019

I sense penalties.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I sense penalties.

Is there still extra time in this cup?
    If so, i doubt anyone in the ground will want it!

• Yes.

I hear the Couhigs are shipping in steaks and bubble and squeak for the tea bars tonight.

• If we win this one we will earn £128,000 with the game being on tv and for reaching round 2 which will come in handy,.

• An historic match being our last ever 1st Round match too

• Stage is set for GA's team talk.

COYB!

• This game could be off due to the cold.

• @peterparrotface said:
    This game could be off due to the cold.

"Banter?" or even the slightest chance?

• Cold? It's not even going to be 0 degrees! Scott Kashket might not even have gloves on...

• Adams Park is always 3 or 4 degrees lower than advertised.

• edited November 2019

Actual temperature forecast as 3, 'feels like' 0.

• edited November 2019

Still, when we played Coventry in 17/18, it came up as 'feels like' -10. We'll be fiiine. Just better hope the kiosks don't run out of hot water - as they have done before.

• I was fully intending on going to that game until I ventured outside at lunchtime. I'd never felt cold like it (in the UK)

Great decision to stay at home. Terrible game by all accounts

• edited November 2019

It wasn't nice - and I swear it was almost as cold when we played them at home last season.

• We shouldn't ever really have games off due to the cold making the pitch unplayable with our undersoil heating (assuming it still works and we can afford to turn it off).

I'm hoping to see Rolando and Smyth on the pitch at the same time. I could see us playing some absolutely incredible football with Freeman in the middle and those two in the wide forward positions.

• I imagine the team ‘leaders’ Jacobsen, Bloomfield and Akinfenwa will all be rested tonight, together with Charles in preparation for next Saturday and Tuesday matches. Be interesting to see if anymore are rotated out for the ‘leasing trophy team’

• I'd love to see Ofoborh start, really big fan of his already.

• Sorry @Username can’t resist making a silly comment. We probably can’t afford to turn it off if there’s any risk of ground frost which occurs in calm, clear conditions when the air temperature drops below 4 degrees centigrade. It’s pretty borderline I’d say.

• @Dickie said:
    I imagine the team ‘leaders’ Jacobsen, Bloomfield and Akinfenwa will all be rested tonight, together with Charles in preparation for next Saturday and Tuesday matches. Be interesting to see if anymore are rotated out for the ‘leasing trophy team’

I'd be amazed if this happened. Tonight is a big match.

• I doubt whether more than a couple of players will be rested this evening. There is far too much at stake financially. But all three substitutes will almost certainly be used.

• Perhaps a Samuel start with Bayo off the bench later for last twenty and pens?

• If I was a betting man, I'd go with Charles, Bayo and Bloomfield to be benched or rested, leaving Gape and JJ of the "big 5" influences.

Resting Bloomfield or Bayo doesn't hurt the quality of the team at all with such a strong squad, so why run them into the ground?

• Smyth, Samuel and Aarons would be a dream.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Smyth, Samuel and Aarons would be a dream.

I think in league 1, with Freeman behind, that's my preferred attack. I'd love to see us play a front 3 of Smyth Aarons and Kashket with Freeman in midfield and play total football, but we all know it's not that simple to try and be Barcelona.

• Or Fred, Smyth and Aarons! (not tonight I realise as there's no news of Fred)

• edited November 2019

I think Smyth would work really well off Bayo in a front two, not sure he or Kashket would be effective through the middle of a three - needs to be more of a target man in that role.

• Can't be as cold as a game a few years ago, where with snow on the ground, i'd chosen some superb gripped cross country trainers.

I'd totally overlooked that they were paper thin material though, and genuinely feared losing my feet they were such ice blocks.
    Could not wait for that game to finish

Unfortunately my lift dropped me just passed Green Street, where it was Bambi on ice territory walking miles home.