Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup *Replay*)

Comments

• He’s Marvin McCoy now playing right back for Dulwich Hamlet.

• @micra said:
    He’s Marvin McCoy now playing right back for Dulwich Hamlet.

Ah that's less interesting. I thought you were outing one of our posters as being a certain FB group poster!

• @eric_plant re Charles not able to play twice in a week... He played at Fleetwood (Tues night) and home to Southend on the Sat, then the following week at Gillingham - but not against Franchise (before Fleetwood). So on the basis of when he has/hasn't played this season, I'm hoping that he can play Sat and again on Tues, given that he didn't play last night and there is then a crazy long rest until Burton?

• I expect it's down to how he actually feels/copes after each game. I doubt a physio would be able to make a definitive judgement.

• So many keyboard managers the morning after the night before, my turn.
    So, rather than dissect the might / could / should’s of the game, what did we learn in defeat?
    For me the one thing not discussed on this thread is the glaring need for greater midfield creativity. So much possession between their D and the half way line, inevitably against ten men, yet so little came of it. I can’t help thinking how much a Sam Saunders type player would have made of it. Freeman feeds off a playmaker, Gape and Thompson are disrupters. Not their faults.
    Bring on the January window.
    ‘Never too high, never to low’ as Gaz would remind us.

• Talk about Charles and his recovery and resting made me think about Kashket.

It wasn't that long ago we were told he had a condition that could only be managed not cured, and it didn't sound great for a 21 year old guy in a physical job.

However, touch wood, he seems as sprightly and in good shape as he's ever been, without a further word about it!

• Nick Freeman is very creative, but perhaps we could do with another midfielder in his mould - although we get by just fine not creating through midfield like a lot of teams do.

• Yes indeed, I'm feeling lighter already.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Nick Freeman is very creative, but perhaps we could do with another midfielder in his mould - although we get by just fine not creating through midfield like a lot of teams do.

Nick is creative , he’s not a playmaker though.

• I couldn’t agree more with everything @Right_in_the_Middle has said. The shoulder-shrug response to such an appalling exit from the FA Cup tells you all you need to know. It doesn’t matter and the whole thing was a complete waste of everyone’s time. Well the lesson learned for me is not to bother watching Wycombe Wanderers in the F.A. Cup ever again.

• edited November 2019

@perfidious_albion said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Nick Freeman is very creative, but perhaps we could do with another midfielder in his mould - although we get by just fine not creating through midfield like a lot of teams do.

Fair enough, I suppose he isn't strictly speaking, but I still think we can get by without one due to our style - at least for the rest of this season. We do create a lot in less 'typical' ways.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I couldn’t agree more with everything @Right_in_the_Middle has said. The shoulder-shrug response to such an appalling exit from the FA Cup tells you all you need to know. It doesn’t matter and the whole thing was a complete waste of everyone’s time. Well the lesson learned for me is not to bother watching Wycombe Wanderers in the F.A. Cup ever again.

Wondered where you’d been when we were winning all those games and going top of the league.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I couldn’t agree more with everything @Right_in_the_Middle has said. The shoulder-shrug response to such an appalling exit from the FA Cup tells you all you need to know. It doesn’t matter and the whole thing was a complete waste of everyone’s time. Well the lesson learned for me is not to bother watching Wycombe Wanderers in the F.A. Cup ever again.

Who is shoulder shrugging? Everyone's pretty disappointed!
    We played a strong side in the first game but something has to give at some stage that's why we have squads these days.

• @glasshalffull I’ve been going to some of those games, including last night’s debacle.

Listen, whatever I say or do is from the heart and I wear my heart firmly on my sleeve.

I’ve seen someone say that our cup exit is not the end of the world. Well it feels it like to me today. Shame so many just feel indifference.

• @Malone I see all the feeble excuses as part of the shoulder shrugging. Look at the intensity we played with at Prenton Park on Sunday. Then compare and contrast with last night.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What is the difference?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What is the difference?

I'd say a playmaker does more to set the tempo and control thongs.

• Why do people feel the need to be so OTT in their criticisms? We lost to a team from our own division, yes they played for over an hour with only 10 men but how often have we seen teams triumph in those situations?
    We started with 8 of the players who won at Tranmere on Sunday so hardly a weakened team. We had 19 shots, 10 on target. We hit the woodwork twice and their keeper made a string of excellent saves.
    It’s sport, it doesn’t always go the way you want it to.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Why do people feel the need to be so OTT in their criticisms? We lost to a team from our own division, yes they played for over an hour with only 10 men but how often have we seen teams triumph in those situations?
    We started with 8 of the players who won at Tranmere on Sunday so hardly a weakened team. We had 19 shots, 10 on target. We hit the woodwork twice and their keeper made a string of excellent saves.
    It’s sport, it doesn’t always go the way you want it to.

This is the response of someone who is trying to judge the game on statistics and wasn’t actually at the game so couldn’t actually feel it.

• You must have felt good after the wins we've been having then @glasshalfempty ?

• @Wendoverman Rotherham United away was particularly enjoyable given the pre-match drenching.

• @glasshalfempty said:

This is the response of someone who is trying to judge the game on statistics and wasn’t actually at the game so couldn’t actually feel it.

I’ve admitted that I was unable to go to the game. I listened to Phil’s excellent commentary and have since watched the highlights, but I agree that it’s no substitute for being there.
    Where I disagree with you is when you make comments like ‘appalling exit’, ‘complete waste of time’, ‘feels like the end of the world’ etc. Yes, it was a disappointing defeat but let’s keep things in perspective.

• @glasshalffull You are fully entitled to disagree with me.

• @glasshalffull said:

@glasshalfempty said:

I’ve admitted that I was unable to go to the game. I listened to Phil’s excellent commentary and have since watched the highlights, but I agree that it’s no substitute for being there.
    Where I disagree with you is when you make comments like ‘appalling exit’, ‘complete waste of time’, ‘feels like the end of the world’ etc. Yes, it was a disappointing defeat but let’s keep things in perspective.

You don't need to fight every battle and respond to every negative post. A few people are upset about losing last night on an emotional way that the FA Cup evokes. As a TV person you know the promotion of this is greater than the fact about it from clubs and younger fans.

We made four changes from the starting 11 from Sunday with two key players being taken off long before the end. That's all fine but we could have done things in the last week to not take risk.

I am fed up about last night. I am just not sure we actually took it as seriously as we could. I wonder if the Trust were still owners that the focus would have been different. I think there is a perspective in that view.

• Giles Phillips seems to be catching the blame for Tranmere's equalizing goal; however it was a sloppy pass from Curtis, conceding possession, followed by a mis-judgement by Tools in relation to Ferrier's well timed curving run, which were the decisive factors in that passage of play. It happens.

• I couldn't make the game or listen to commentary. I am disappointed but perhaps because I was not there to feel it...I'm just looking forward to the team putting things right on Saturday.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Well the lesson learned for me is not to bother watching Wycombe Wanderers in the F.A. Cup ever again.

I'd be careful about making such a comment, disappointing as the performance and result were. Next year we could be entering in round 3 playing Man Utd or Arsenal away.
    I'd certainly be up for that ...

• RITM, with respect I have every right to post when I see fit, just the same as you and everyone else. I was not dismissing anyone’s disappointment with last night’s result, merely asking people to keep things in perspective. I think GA and the players would be seriously upset at any suggestion that they didn’t take the game as seriously as they could. That’s an insult to their professionalism.
    Also, I don’t understand your final point. Are you really suggesting that the outcome might have been different if the Trust had still had overall control? That’s quite a conspiracy theory considering that the new owners need all the income they can get towards their aim of making the club sustainable.

• @Cyclops said:
    Giles Phillips seems to be catching the blame for Tranmere's equalizing goal; however it was a sloppy pass from Curtis, conceding possession, followed by a mis-judgement by Tools in relation to Ferrier's well timed curving run, which were the decisive factors in that passage of play. It happens.

It happens? Really, is that the best you can do? When did Curtis Thompson last play a careless, half-arsed, lazy pass like that? When was the last time Anthony Stewart got caught out by a simple, long-ball over the top?

The “it happens” epithet really sums up the shrugged shoulders apathy of last night. Supporters, players, the club, the lot. Almost as if the FA Cup is beneath Wycombe Wanderers.