Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup)

Comments

• Win on Sunday and lose on Wednesday. Is that even up for debate?

• I asked the question so by definition yes

• Well it shouldn't be. League > Cup considering we're flying.

• Thanks for your response

I'll stick you down for an a)

• I was just thinking the same @eric_plant. Are our minds starting to meet..............

Obviously rather win both but if really could choose only one - I'd choose B - league is one game in 46 (44 this year), cup is obviously one loss goodnight.

• Cup win a priority. TV money for 2nd round plus really good chance of a lucrative 3rd tie. At this stage revenue generation us key.
    That said, let’s win both !

• @eric_plant said:
    I asked the question so by definition yes

This user account has definately hacked by @DevC .

• The correct answer is lose on Sunday and win on Wednesday.

• option b) moves into an early 3-1 lead, and makes a mockery of the suggestion that the question is not even a matter for debate

exciting stuff

• edited November 2019

We're not going to win the cup, but this might be our next (meant to be best!) ever opportunity of going up to the Championship.

• It's definitely our next ever opportunity to do that, agreed

Shall I stick you down for an a) then?

3-2 to b) if so

• Typical poll only give a vote on a fraction of the options possible and declare the a result after 4 people vote ...

I'll vote for option c) draw, win

• There is no option c, which would be a stupid addition as it would obviously invalidate option b), the current leader

4-2 to b)!!!!!

• (I mean, if you had to include all options (which you don't) then why haven't you chosen win, win? You're not even abiding by your own logic)

• (and I haven't "declared a result". I am keeping a running score, which I sense is really capturing the imagination of fellow gasroomers)

• Have edited my post above. Actually stunned that people would prioritise the cup this season.

• I'm a big time charlie, so it has to be Win Wed, option b.

It'd be horrific to lose, watch Tranmere smash Chichester 7-0 and then get a plum draw.

Obviously here's to us losing neither!!

• @Username said:
    We're not going to win the cup, but this might be our next ever opportunity of going up to the Championship.

Right now a cup run of just two more rounds gives a six figure financial return.
    Promotion will have massive short term cost implications re squad enhancement.
    Right now financial stability and sustainability must be prioritised . I think Rob has stated this on several occasions.
    Whilst we are achieving this obviously let’s enjoy and win as many games as poss.

• Wouldn't you find it more horrific if we missed out on promotion by 1 point the other way round?

To me it's comparing 1 potentially big game in the third round with 46 big games if we were to go up.

• 5-2 to b)

Can anyone halt the b) juggernaut?

New t-shirt slogan idea for the Couhigs' merch website:

b) landslide

"Actually stunned"

• I don't think anyone is favouring a couple of big ties in the FA cup versus getting promoted!
    Just over 1 solitary game in 46.

yes, we "may" miss out by the points we didn't get in that 1 game, but you have to dream a bit don't you!

Would you have traded that FA cup run to the semi for a promotion that season?
    With every chance we'd have gone down since?

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Username said:
    We're not going to win the cup, but this might be our next ever opportunity of going up to the Championship.

Right now a cup run of just two more rounds gives a six figure financial return.
    Promotion will have massive short term cost implications re squad enhancement.
    Right now financial stability and sustainability must be prioritised . I think Rob has stated this on several occasions.
    Whilst we are achieving this obviously let’s enjoy and win as many games as poss.

I understand where you're coming from, but being a pessimist, I can't see us having an opportunity like we currently have for many years. We have a squad and manager way beyond what we're paying for them. I'm sure you could give most managers a clean slate and 50% more budget and not get near what we have now, and the reality is that it can't last forever (see Shrewsbury), managers and players move on.

Every season we have a decent chance of winning two games against teams in our league or below to get to the 3rd Round, we might never have a better chance of going up.

• Phil made a very good point on 3CR the other day that the FA Cup is now our only chance to increase revenue to the point that we're allowed to spend more on players in January. So, cup win.

• @Username said:
    Wouldn't you find it more horrific if we missed out on promotion by 1 point the other way round?

To me it's comparing 1 potentially big game in the third round with 46 big games if we were to go up.

Look at Luton, Barnsley, Rotherham and ‘The Athletic’ article flagged elsewhere, the leap to the Championship is exponential. 46 games of struggle won’t build long term sustainability.

• Are we currently not allowed to spend anything? Even part of the salary for loan players?

• 6-2 to b)

"Is that even up for debate?"

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Are we currently not allowed to spend anything? Even part of the salary for loan players?

Was said that we're at or very close to our limit for financial fair play as a % of our turnover.

• I’d rather win the cup game.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Username said:
    Wouldn't you find it more horrific if we missed out on promotion by 1 point the other way round?

Look at Luton, Barnsley, Rotherham and ‘The Athletic’ article flagged elsewhere, the leap to the Championship is exponential. 46 games of struggle won’t build long term sustainability.

I fully expect us to go up take a whooping and come back down, and I'd hope that rather than spending big on the squad, we'd use the money to build the club even if it meant we might not be competitive.