Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere (FA Cup)

Comments

• I’m just being my usual difficult self @Malone. Still waiting for that tap on the shoulder BTW.

• It's funny how things work out. Bayo, playing for Wimbledon scored against Liverpool, while we were all envious it wasn't us there.

We're not envious of them now!

• I suppose it's because we did not win, but their forum seems to be lacking any mention of poor quality, cheating, time-wasting anti-football! Hopefully we will be back on form Sunday.

• See tickets are going on sale for the replay tomorrow via the new ticket site.. Any one know how it might work to purchase your season ticket seat? Apologies if this is a dumb question

• We could be the second South Bucks team Chichester have played in the FA Cup this season; they beat Chalfont St Peter in the second qualifying round.

• As long as they know not to venture into north Bucks - civilisation ends at Missenden.

• Very interesting.
    Wonder why they orignally went higher?

• @Malone said:
    Very interesting.

£15 is pretty cheap compared to some, not sure they were ripping anyone off as people suggested but with a bit of noise, it being the 3rd game against them and lots of home fixtures including the tin pot around this is sensible

• Tranmere fan here, great gesture from your club to mirror the prices, hopefully we'll sort an away following to match.

• @tranman said:
    Tranmere fan here, great gesture from your club to mirror the prices, hopefully we'll sort an away following to match.

Fair play to any of your gang who make the trip! A 400mile round trip on a midweeker is a real shift

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Very interesting.

£15 is pretty cheap compared to some, not sure they were ripping anyone off as people suggested but with a bit of noise, it being the 3rd game against them and lots of home fixtures including the tin pot around this is sensible

Yeah I didn't quite get the "rip off" comments some posted under the tweet, as compared to the league it's comfortably cheaper.

But it's a good gesture from the club

• Surely we were anticipating a lower crowd for the replay than the original tie and just trying to cover our losses in that sense?

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Very interesting.

Yeah I didn't quite get the "rip off" comments some posted under the tweet, as compared to the league it's comfortably cheaper.

It wasn't comfortably cheaper if you're usually in the terrace.

• Sensible decision from the club.

The right thing to do, and good PR for a relatively small price

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Very interesting.

Are your initials BM, as I saw someone argue just that on the fb page!

I think someone confirmed terrace pricing is 16 or 18, so £15 is still comfortably cheaper than the on day price.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Very interesting.

I think someone confirmed terrace pricing is 16 or 18, so £15 is still comfortably cheaper than the on day price.

I've seen that post but it's not me!

• edited November 2019

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    Very interesting.

I've seen that post but it's not me!

Fair does. Probably just two of you making a fair point. But I was then surprised how much a terrace ticket is!
    A shocking view for £18! Although you do get the thrill of being squashed into railings and inadvertently being part of the "Limbs" action

• @Malone said:

@tranman said:
    Tranmere fan here, great gesture from your club to mirror the prices, hopefully we'll sort an away following to match.

Fair play to any of your gang who make the trip! A 400mile round trip on a midweeker is a real shift

Fingers crossed mate for a good one! Not getting my hopes up massively as it's a long way for an away cup replay midweek, that realistically we'll most likely lose(Your lot a very good side who I think underestimated us possibly at our place and won't make the same mistake twice with the prospect of Chichester at home to play for) Still I'll be there all the same for my sins be nice to see a few friendly faces. Nice place Adams Park!

• @tranman said:

@Malone said:

@tranman said:

Fingers crossed mate for a good one! Not getting my hopes up massively as it's a long way for an away cup replay midweek, that realistically we'll most likely lose(Your lot a very good side who I think underestimated us possibly at our place and won't make the same mistake twice with the prospect of Chichester at home to play for) Still I'll be there all the same for my sins be nice to see a few friendly faces. Nice place Adams Park!

Do you think you'll play your full strength side in both the games or will you need to rest a few players for one?

Really looking forward to both games now, as you say the Chichester draw has definitely added something to the cup replay

• I think we're likely to play the strongest side we can in both games, our run to the third round and game against Tottenham last year enabled us to sign a few good players in January and was the reason we got promoted if you ask me as we were starting to look jaded. And of course we're desperate for the points in the league so no excuses for a weakened side there, if I was a betting man I'd say we'll nick a draw for the league game and lose the cup one. Assuming you'll be playing your strongest available side in both?

• @tranman said:
    I think we're likely to play the strongest side we can in both games, our run to the third round and game against Tottenham last year enabled us to sign a few good players in January and was the reason we got promoted if you ask me as we were starting to look jaded. And of course we're desperate for the points in the league so no excuses for a weakened side there, if I was a betting man I'd say we'll nick a draw for the league game and lose the cup one. Assuming you'll be playing your strongest available side in both?

Thanks for replying!

I expect we'll make a few changes, maybe 4/5 for the cup replay, we've got Doncaster the weekend after then Ipswich midweek, which GA could have half an eye on.

Saying that, even if we change 4/5/6 players from Sunday to Wednesday, only one of those changes is likely to weaken our side (our CB has a chronic injury that needs management so he hasn't played mid week games). Up front we have an embarrassment of riches, so we could happily field two completely different front 3s in each game, and we have arguably 5 firt choice midfield options too, it'll be interesting to see how Ainsworth balances things.

• We could probably pick 8 or 9 of the starters for Saturday, with the most forward of the midfielders a 50-50 pick, and 2 of the 3 front players a lotto too.

Midweek it becomes more of a guesstimate as per the post above.

• looking at it purely in financial terms rather than footballing terms (cue abuse .........), Effective prize money for the tranmere game (given that whoever wins is highly likely to beat Chichester) is £90,000 plus the potential for a serious payday in Rd3. Even in our wonderfully elevated league position, certainly arguable that the cup game is far more important than the league games either side.

• Probably nothing to close between the two in terms of importance, although arguably for different reasons.
    GA has said before he wants a decent cup run and I'm sure that's true - financial rewards, opportunity to potentially play a PL team.
    We have found ourselves to be remarkably well placed in the league so far, and we know the new Couhig plan includes Championship football.
    I'd expect GA to make a couple of changes to midfield and attacking options and maybe rest Charles midweek. But for sure we're going to be going all out to win both. We certainly won't be playing a weakened team, pet se, in either fixture.

• Definitely not.

Someone made the very interesting point that a win on Saturday could put us 8 points clear of 3rd! Even with games in hand that is a superb place to be.

• edited November 2019

My mistake has got people overexcited, hope it doesn't derail our season.

• It would be 8 points if Wycombe win and Coventry don't.

• @DevC I'd guard against complacency... Chichester will be full of confidence after already dispatching Chalfont St Peter.

• pollpoll***

Would you rather:

a) win on Sunday and lose on Wednesday?

or

b) lose on Sunday and win on Wednesday?