Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

12346»

Comments

• @eric_plant said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Listening to the PA announcers at away games trying to pronounce Anton Vircavs name used to be quite amusing.

Vix-house isn't it?

It certainly is @eric_plant. But cockney style, dropping the ‘h’.

• @Malone said:
    But yes, further down that same thread was one of the most all time disturbing offensive posts I think I've ever seen on a forum/fb page. The mention of the tattoos one particularly individual has...one I would say is borderline arrestable!

I saw that post, I'm surprised the club allow someone exposing the 'arrestable' (in Germany at least) tattoo like that in the ground.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Malone said:
    But yes, further down that same thread was one of the most all time disturbing offensive posts I think I've ever seen on a forum/fb page. The mention of the tattoos one particularly individual has...one I would say is borderline arrestable!

I saw that post, I'm surprised the club allow someone exposing the 'arrestable' (in Germany at least) tattoo like that in the ground.

If it's not visible then there's not much that they can do surely?

• I am in the beechdean...i also mainly stand at the back.

• It is much closer to the action for me. Great view. The drumming would send me mad. I have no tattoos and have never punched the air under a stewards horse.

• two drummers. We are the Adam and the Ants of the Football League.

• @our_frank said:
    two drummers. We are the Adam and the Ants of the Football League.

And that ended well.

• @our_frank said:

We could add a tuba player and a saxophonist to form a terrace version of Sons Of Kemet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=0mu1FHeNkpo - although I suspect that, whilst I like it, its a musical style that would lead to even more complaints.

@micra I am guessing Sons Of Kemet are not traditional enough for your jazz tastes?

• If I was on vocals it would be more like Sons of Kermit!

• I do like drumming at a distance and of course the wrestling so I'm quite looking forward to watching the terrace at the next home game.

• It’s not so much the vintage @Uncle_T. I’m more into what is laughingly called “modern jazz” - ie stuff from the ‘50s onwards, especially piano, bass, drum trios (often with the addition of tenor sax) epitomised by the superb (?1957) album featuring André Previn (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b) and Shelley Manne (d) playing songs from My Fair Lady. It was a real ear-opener for me because, West Side Story aside, I’ve never been into musicals and hadn’t really ventured further than Barber, Bill and Ball ! For anyone liking the good old New Orleans stuff (Rob Couhig?) I can thoroughly recommend a young NO band, Tuba Skinny.

• Bilk not Bill. Bill was the great Ken Colyer’s brother.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @chairboyscentral There was a guy called Joe doing it in the late nineties/early noughties. Now he was good! I don't remember there being a drum when I first went in '97, but my memory isn't always that reliable so I might be wrong.

Yes I remember Joe when I first started going in the terrace circa 2000. There was also two guys with trumpets around that time. All helped created a great atmosphere, they were very good.

• Joe the Drummer is a great bloke. One of the first fellow gasroomers I ever met.

• @our_frank said:

Better than being Rialto

• Incidentally, I knew one of Rialto's drummers, Anthony Christmas. He grew up in the same village as I did, was part of a group of friends that I used to knock about with and was involved in the local music scene at the same time as I was.

We'd lost touch by the time he joined Rialto as I had moved to High Wycombe by then.

• @peterparrotface said:

@our_frank said:

Better than being Rialto

Or the Glitter Band!

• I had a feeling they came from Plymouth. Not sure where i got that from...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I had a feeling they came from Plymouth. Not sure where i got that from...

Was their lead singer a round red faced scotsman?

• First time I saw Shit & Shine they had six drummers.

Any advance on six? (Royal Scots Dragoon Guards band aside).

• Neil Peart has at least six 'normal' drummers' worth of drum kit.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I had a feeling they came from Plymouth. Not sure where i got that from...

The lead singer of Rialto was from an aristocratic family with a large estate near Plymouth, I believe.

Drummer Anthony Christmas and I grew up in more humble surroundings just east of Southampton, although Anthony did live in a big house in the old part of the village that was posh in comparison to the council estate that I lived on.

• @Uncle_T Ah, right. Thx for that. Half-remembering things is a sign of age, but at least the half I remembered was reasonably accurate!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Neil Peart has at least six 'normal' drummers' worth of drum kit.

aaah the professor...I still have my signed Permanent Waves tour programme!