Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• ‘spit’?! ‘see’!!

• @Onlooker said:
    I'm often amazed at the insights gleaned from reading posts on this forum and do aspire to be able to read the game at a much higher level. I was therefore somewhat surprised at the above revelations. From my position high in the Woodlands I thought the challenge deserved a red card straight away and was not in the least surprised as Nnamdi was led off through the gate and down the tunnel. That's it we'll get beaten now, I moaned, but as soon as the ref approached their guy with his hand in his pocket I knew he had to go too. It was game on again and far from spoiling the game it made it far more entertaining.

That's pretty much how saw it (albeit from the Valley End). I had no complaints about the red for Nnamdi, though when Harrison was sent off too, the despondent atmosphere completely swung around and seemed to give us a boost.
    With 10 v 10, the midfield became less congested and the game started to open up.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Saw a video on line of Bayo’s pen filmed from the Frank Adams. No wonder folk didn’t spit the foul / red card. Like watching ants on my garden lawn. Genuine question why sit there? Can only assume it is to read the tactical shape of the game?? Down in the Beechdean it’s real lower league blood and thunder, perhaps not for the purist or faint hearted. Guess everyone is different.

I've only watched from the FA a few times but I definitely do feel I come away from the game with a much better grasp of the tactical side of things, even if it feels a bit detached.

• Leg room in the beechdean was designed for ronnie corbett.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    Leg room in the beechdean was designed for ronnie corbett.

Agreed, that's why I have my season ticket in the back row. I can stand when I feel the need for a stretch. Most games I have to eject people from my seat as they hope to Nick the two seats or are genuinely thinking they are in row F when they are actually in row G. A small price to pay, except when I have the odd numpty refusing to move, saying "it doesn't make any difference does it?" Well if it doesn't, then you won't mind moving to the seat you purchased then will you?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Saw a video on line of Bayo’s pen filmed from the Frank Adams. No wonder folk didn’t spit the foul / red card. Like watching ants on my garden lawn. Genuine question why sit there? Can only assume it is to read the tactical shape of the game?? Down in the Beechdean it’s real lower league blood and thunder, perhaps not for the purist or faint hearted. Guess everyone is different.

It's a supreme view in the Frank Adams.

I wonder how on earth people watch from the terrace, you get a massively poor view of most of the pitch. That's before you take in the people who stand right behind the goal. Great for occasional penalty area action at that end, but surely dreadful for almost anything else?

That's before you factor in the hordes who love to sprint into people on a goal being scored.

• You’re really in the terrace for the atmosphere more than the view

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

Agreed, that's why I have my season ticket in the back row. I can stand when I feel the need for a stretch. Most games I have to eject people from my seat as they hope to Nick the two seats or are genuinely thinking they are in row F when they are actually in row G. A small price to pay, except when I have the odd numpty refusing to move, saying "it doesn't make any difference does it?" Well if it doesn't, then you won't mind moving to the seat you purchased then will you?

The way you word that, are you in an odd little two seat row or something?
    Or did you mean people like to stretch out across two seats?

• @Malone i go in the terrace for two reasons - 1) because i like to stand when I watch a game of football and 2) because I always have. Football fans tend to be creatures of habit.

I agree it's not as good a view of the overall game as from the side, but the attacking close-ups are great, and still at around ten quid a pop (when you factor in earlier-than-even-the-earliest-of-early-bird prices), it represents excellent value for L1 football.

And atmosphere-wise, it's a great place to be at the moment.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Malone i go in the terrace for two reasons - 1) because i like to stand when I watch a game of football and 2) because I always have. Football fans tend to be creatures of habit.

I agree it's not as good a view of the overall game as from the side, but the attacking close-ups are great, and still at around ten quid a pop (when you factor in earlier-than-even-the-earliest-of-early-bird prices), it represents excellent value for L1 football.

And atmosphere-wise, it's a great place to be at the moment.

All fair points, and in fairness I did offer it as an alternative to my match day pal who these days struggles to always afford the Frank Adams, but he's adamant he prefers the view.

I think I prefer the being able to turn up on kick off and know your pew is secured though.

• On a different note, the years haven't been kind to Brett Pittman have they? Not sure how old he is exactly, probably younger than Bayo, but when it came on it looked a bit like one of those charity games when Lee Sharpe or Matt le Tiss waddle on before having to stop after ten minutes. (Yes, I'm aware he scored two or three against us last season).

Yesterday was my first game since the opening day and I too noticed a clear schism in the terrace. Tom's drumming wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be, given what I'd been reading from the last few games, but there were a few spells where he just seemed to be just bashing away for his own amusement, with no-one singing. With all due respect to the lad, he doesn't have a particularly great sense of rhythm, traditionally a key skill for for a drummer. Paul, the other drummer, is frankly a lot better and played more sparingly. As someone else said either on here or on FB, the drummer is there to accompany the singers, not the other way around. Unfortunately, there did seem to be occasions where one 'group' would start up a song and then the other group would instantly start up a different one, presumably to try and drown it out, which ironically killed the atmosphere, as it meant neither song spread out to the wider terrace. Whereas the atmosphere at the end (after our goal) was much better, when the two drummers seemed to be working together, allowing the singing to grow across the terrace.

I'm getting fed up the whole thing, two bald men fighting over a comb is taking the attention away from the exciting things happening on (and off) the pitch. If it's now causing fights to break out, then maybe the sad but simple answer is to ban all drums/instruments. Perhaps the atmosphere would initially suffer, but I'm sure it would soon recover. Some of the best atmospheres I've experienced at Wycombe games have been with no drum. It might actually reunite the terrace and get everyone singing the same songs, as well as encouraging people who like to sing, but have had to move further away from the annoyance of the drum to return to nearer the centre of the terrace. The people involved in this ridiculous situation claim to be 'true fans', but have they considered that this spat is actually damaging the atmosphere? Also, I can't imagine any first time visitors to the terrace will be keen to return to AP if there's fights breaking out amongst our own fans. Get a grip you morons.

• When did drums/a drum first appear at Wycombe games?

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

The way you word that, are you in an odd little two seat row or something?
    Or did you mean people like to stretch out across two seats?

No @Malone I have two season tickets there, me & my son.

• @chairboyscentral There was a guy called Joe doing it in the late nineties/early noughties. Now he was good! I don't remember there being a drum when I first went in '97, but my memory isn't always that reliable so I might be wrong.

• @Jonny_King said:
    On a different note, the years haven't been kind to Brett Pittman have they? Not sure how old he is exactly, probably younger than Bayo, but when it came on it looked a bit like one of those charity games when Lee Sharpe or Matt le Tiss waddle on before having to stop after ten minutes. (Yes, I'm aware he scored two or three against us last season).

Yesterday was my first game since the opening day and I too noticed a clear schism in the terrace. Tom's drumming wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be, given what I'd been reading from the last few games, but there were a few spells where he just seemed to be just bashing away for his own amusement, with no-one singing. With all due respect to the lad, he doesn't have a particularly great sense of rhythm, traditionally a key skill for for a drummer. Paul, the other drummer, is frankly a lot better and played more sparingly. As someone else said either on here or on FB, the drummer is there to accompany the singers, not the other way around. Unfortunately, there did seem to be occasions where one 'group' would start up a song and then the other group would instantly start up a different one, presumably to try and drown it out, which ironically killed the atmosphere, as it meant neither song spread out to the wider terrace. Whereas the atmosphere at the end (after our goal) was much better, when the two drummers seemed to be working together, allowing the singing to grow across the terrace.

I'm getting fed up the whole thing, two bald men fighting over a comb is taking the attention away from the exciting things happening on (and off) the pitch. If it's now causing fights to break out, then maybe the sad but simple answer is to ban all drums/instruments. Perhaps the atmosphere would initially suffer, but I'm sure it would soon recover. Some of the best atmospheres I've experienced at Wycombe games have been with no drum. It might actually reunite the terrace and get everyone singing the same songs, as well as encouraging people who like to sing, but have had to move further away from the annoyance of the drum to return to nearer the centre of the terrace. The people involved in this ridiculous situation claim to be 'true fans', but have they considered that this spat is actually damaging the atmosphere? Also, I can't imagine any first time visitors to the terrace will be keen to return to AP if there's fights breaking out amongst our own fans. Get a grip you morons.

Summed up what most sensible posters think.
    It's awkward to word sympathetically on a forum, but I'm not sure everyone knows drummer number 1 actually has a condition that requires a carer at games, so it's very likely his understanding of this whole furore is impinged!

On a lighter note, I chuckled at an individual on the fb group, who I recognise as being one of the much criticised "mob" from a few years ago, saying how the "idiots at the back" were the issue.

I wonder if the irony versus yesteryear was lost on him.

• @Malone Did you see the post/s from the guy getting all indignant about being kicked out after (by his own admission) saying to a steward "**** off before you get hurt"? The fact he's still claiming he was treated unfairly actually blows my mind!

• edited September 2019

@Jonny_King said:
    @Malone Did you see the post/s from the guy getting all indignant about being kicked out after (by his own admission) saying to a steward "**** off before you get hurt"? The fact he's still claiming he was treated unfairly actually blows my mind!

I read a lot of that, and it was baffling.
    As was talk of a "12 hour" banning order from Adams Park.
    What good banning someone for half a day after a game holds is a true mystery. 12 days - probably as pointless as no home game, but 12 weeks, that sounds a better ban?

But yes, further down that same thread was one of the most all time disturbing offensive posts I think I've ever seen on a forum/fb page. The mention of the tattoos one particularly individual has...one I would say is borderline arrestable!

• Hmm, seems there are some new posts I've not read yet!

I assume the 12 hr ban will be followed with a banning order for a year or so. By his own admission he verbally abused and threatened a steward and I'd imagine the latter offence alone is enough to get him a longer ban.

• edited September 2019

@Jonny_King said:
    Hmm, seems there are some new posts I've not read yet!

I assume the 12 hr ban will be followed with a banning order for a year or so. By his own admission he verbally abused and threatened a steward and I'd imagine the latter offence alone is enough to get him a longer ban.

Yes have a read, one of the later, lesser branched posts on that thread, let me know what you think, by PM if needs be.

Do you remember on here years back some poster under the name "Ben" (I think?) was annoyed he was kicked out for "punching the air" under a steward's nose. Top stuff.

• I usually stand beside both drummer and said tattoo man, nicest blokes you could meet.

• @NorsQuarters said:
    I usually stand beside both drummer and said tattoo man, nicest blokes you could meet.

Drummer guy is a lovely chap. Have only spoken once or twice, but it's certain what the club means to him, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Great photo of him together with RC at the end of the Southend match (see last photo of said gallery) which I managed to be in also!)

• @NorsQuarters said:
    I usually stand beside both drummer and said tattoo man, nicest blokes you could meet.

Don't know the tattooed chap except by appearance - he scares the bejeezus out of me! - but Tom is certainly a lovely young man, though his drumming has become unhelpfully unsympathetic to those around him - distracting rather than inspiring - to the point that I sympathise with those willing to express public criticism, even if not in the way some are doing.

• edited September 2019

@HCblue said:

@NorsQuarters said:

Don't know the tattooed chap except by appearance - he scares the bejeezus out of me! - but Tom is certainly a lovely young man, though his drumming has become unhelpfully unsympathetic to those around him - distracting rather than inspiring - to the point that I sympathise with those willing to express public criticism, even if not in the way some are doing.

I dare say most of us are the same with the drum - by all means play it - but not too close to me!
    Shared an away game with him last season, he arrived about 2mins before kick off and sat about 2 seats away.
    Deafened!

• Play it near me, by all means, but do so as an accompaniment to the singing - it's great, and stirring, when that happens - but not mindlessly, when it stifles singing, and enjoyment, as was the case a few times at least on Saturday.

• Does any one else remember the small brass band ( similar to the England band) that used to be present at AP? I think they sat in the family stand at the home end probably in the late 90s.
    If memory serves me right , they got banned after continually playing the tune to “the referees a wanker” after a contentious decision.

• If it carries on as it is, I also thought to myself that they could both get banned. So obvious that one is better than the other, perhaps if people know the other one they could help by having a word... I'm sorry but if he has problems or not, hes not helping the atmosphere at games

• It would be best if things change from the status quo. The atmosphere was poisonous at times on Saturday.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Does any one else remember the small brass band ( similar to the England band) that used to be present at AP? I think they sat in the family stand at the home end probably in the late 90s.
    If memory serves me right , they got banned after continually playing the tune to “the referees a wanker” after a contentious decision.

Didn't they used to sit in the Frank Adams stand, upper tier, near the home end? Have a basic recollection that they were at the home game v Man City, but of course I could equally be entirely wrong?

• @Stewie63 I seem to remember they were called “Adams Apple”... To be fair, it’s the same tune for “you don’t know what you’re doing”, so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt!