Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• @Shev said:
    I am glad you have good care, and I hope you are well on the mend!

@Shev said:
    I am glad you have good care, and I hope you are well on the mend!

Thank you mate i'm getting better but have no idea when i'll be able to get to Adams Park which is bloody annoying.
    I'm the only Wycombe fan who lives in Wells among Rovers fans but the majority of them are decent and we have a crack together and buy each others drinks.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    wtf does Aaron have to do to get on the pitch....he must of been seen bringing out GA 's wife !!!

Is Richie dictating these now?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Is anyone aware of the fighting amongst our own fans which apparently took place in the terrace today? Very sad if true.

True fans bang drum make noise atmospherey pay wages old people gasroom punchy punchy is okay lots of fun.

• Pardon?

• I am guessing Burgess didn't give it the big one to the Family Stand this season.

Is anyone aware of the fighting amongst our own fans which apparently took place in the terrace today? Very sad if true.

From the FA stand, looked like it was around where the drummer was standing. Not sure if someone confronted him

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Few idiots scrapping, nothing major, they attention seek on Facebook if anyone is interested.

Great effort from the boys against the once famous team. Thought we could have snatched another one towards the end. Great points tally so far. Thought Mascoll did well when he came on.

• Great result from a not great game. First half was a stinker for both teams in my view. I actually thought that the ref had a good game first half - spotted lots of stuff that other refs at this level wouldn’t. Second half was a different story - our sending off was a definite yellow, but not a red. I can see why Pompey are struggling currently- very disjointed. Grimmer was my MOM - absolutely rock solid. I was preying for Freeman to take the pen rather than Bayo, but his penalty was very well taken. We deserved the win overall today. Still third - lovely jubbly. Good crowd. Lots of Pompey left when we scored, followed by a brief chorus of ‘we’re going down.’ Hackett is not going to last till Christmas IMHO. Enjoyed Gape’s individual reaction at the final whistle as an ex- scummer. Happy days - COYB!

• I played it back on iFollow, and the red looked like a yellow. He slid in before the player arrived, but the player made it look like he took out his ankle. Could be wrong, though.

Their red was for raising hands on Bayo. A "Courage Award" should have come along with that red!

• edited September 2019

Both reds absolutely justified

• The sort of game one wins in a promotion season...

• In general, I thought the ref was decent. Cant comment on the sending off as I didn't have a clear view. What I do not understand is why Bayo is never given anything even when he is being literally wrestled to the ground, yet Marquis, Curtis & Harrison appeared to go down on the strength of a good fart and get a free kick?

• edited September 2019

...A very poor performance from us, I thought, until the sendings off.

Thought that the ref was rather quick to show red to Ofoborh, especially since he had been pretty tolerant of some excessively robust challenges by Portsmouth up to that point that led to two of our players going off injured. That said, I was delighted to see their man punished for jumping into the fray afterwards - I can't stand that sort of behaviour. The fact that it was his second yellow was a fortunate coincidence.

The penalty was very fortunate but the ball did strike a player's hand in a massive melee at the back post as a corner came over. I'd be hard-pushed to think it was deliberate so much as an involuntary reaction to the scrum taking place under the ball but I'll certainly take it.

The last seven minutes was a great atmosphere on the terrace - one of the better singing efforts for a while. The ruckus was indeed around Tom's group. I did not see it happen but did see one man being restrained (not assaulted in any way) by other fans, including the chap with the extraordinary collection of tattoos. There was a poisonous atmosphere before and after that today that I have not been aware of today, with a clear schism between Tom and the bulk of the central terrace. It was extremely unpleasant to be amongst and reflects very, very poorly on the people instigating it. Tom's drumming, delightful and wholehearted young man that he is, is indeed out of step with the fans around him, apart from his friends and served today as an irritant rather than an inspiration, being without obvious purpose or direction and incessant its nature - less is more, Tom. I know nothing of the politics of the situation but I would think it would be great if the two drummers (the other being, I have to say, very good indeed at stirring or encouraging existing singing) might be willing to stand and work together for a game or two to encourage some unity and remove the really horrible atmosphere present today.

• Off topic but...What's happened to Gardiner-Smith???

• His dad was wearing a delightful shirt in Brighton today.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Off topic but...What's happened to Gardiner-Smith???

Unfortunate maybe to have been plan A before plan B arrived in the form of some money and eventually Oboforh. Or maybe Ainsworth is giving him the time he needs to develope now he can.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Is anyone aware of the fighting amongst our own fans which apparently took place in the terrace today?

Lots of embarrassing posturing on the Facebook group. Lengthy bans for those involved hopefully.

• Looks like a red card on the highlights, and I'm not sure what their guy has done to get his second yellow.

• edited September 2019

Highlights are up now - https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11816421/wycombe-1-0-portsmouth. Still think it was a harsh red but the pen was more flagrant than I thought likely and the ref had a great view.

• @Chris said:
    Looks like a red card on the highlights, and I'm not sure what their guy has done to get his second yellow.

Running in aggressively in the way he did does nothing but inflame the mood. I was glad to see his action punished.

• Funny old game of opinions isnt it.

Never a red in a million years that challenge. The shock of the player and bench says it all i think.

Definite handball as well.

• Harrison could have been dismissed in the first half when he committed a foul and then a deliberate hand ball shortly after being cautioned. He ran across the pitch after our red card incident to aggressively confront Wycombe players. In short, deserved to be sent off.

• If Harrison was a Wycombe player I would be very upset at that second yellow, and I think people would be supportive of him defending his teammate.

The initial tackle looks entirely devoid of malice, but it is an out of control lunge using excessive force.

• Totally disagree about Harrison. Defending your team mate is not a reason to get involved in an incident that did not concern him. He merited a second yellow simply on the basis of the number of infringements he committed.

• Harrison acted like a prick the entire game. Was a red card waiting to happen

The game improved when it went to 10 v 10 I thought but it was still heading towards nil nil until their defender took leave of his senses and gifted us a win.

What was he thinking of? And what on earth were their players possibly complaining about?

Also, Marquis showing almost Danny Hylton esque levels of shithousery. Embarrassing at times. Hope they get battered by Southampton on Tuesday

• @Chris said:
    If Harrison was a Wycombe player I would be very upset at that second yellow, and I think people would be supportive of him defending his teammate.

The initial tackle looks entirely devoid of malice, but it is an out of control lunge using excessive force.

I always hated Sam Saunders's pantomime outrage whenever an opponent made a bad tackle. This idea that the moral high ground entitles one physically to confront the perceived perpetrator is utterly misconceived and alien to most other sports. I'd be glad to see the end of it, and the exaggerated writhing that precedes it, and was glad to see the referee punish it today, as I would accept it should it happen to us anon.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Off topic but...What's happened to Gardiner-Smith???

JGS is part of the under 23 recruitment that's been discussed a few times recently. He's 'one for the future' and a a valuable squad member

• @HCblue said:

I always hated Sam Saunders's pantomime outrage whenever an opponent made a bad tackle. This idea that the moral high ground entitles one physically to confront the perceived perpetrator is utterly misconceived and alien to most other sports. I'd be glad to see the end of it, and the exaggerated writhing that precedes it, and was glad to see the referee punish it today, as I would accept it should it happen to us anon.

Should Charles have been booked too?