Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• There is always an ebb and flow to form, especially when you have injuries, and to turn three fairly mediocre performances into 4 points is actually the sign of a great team, in my book.

We are going to be back to our best at some point. This is a fantastic season so far!

• definite red, wreckless and very late and high

• @Wycombe85 said:
    GA was surprisingly open about the injuries at the forum on Thursday. Curtis Thompson is fit, but GA seemed keen to use an EFL Trophy game to introduce him back in, as he's had no pre season. Smyth has a broken foot and is a few weeks away. Aarons was almost good to go again (not sure what happened yesterday, was he on the original team sheet?). Samuels had a rib injury, seemed he shouldn't be out for too long.

Personally I'm looking forward to having Samuels back, we just seem to play better when he starts. He's such a menace to the opposition defence and helps bring out the best in those around him

Sorry, but as @micra isn't doing the honours...

it's Samuel.
    Samuel.Samuel.Samuel.

Not Samuels.

Please!
    :)

• Amazing how many people get that wrong. How long has he played for us now?

• @rmjlondon said:
    definite red, wreckless and very late and high

Tackle was ankle high so how you deem that "High" is beyond me?

• Keith Samuels (no relation as its spelt with a S) was a forward for the Chairboys in the 60s. Formed a great partnership with Bodger Horseman before Keith Searle joined. Was talking to Keith at the forum last week and he confirmed he's not related to Alex.

• Over the top of the ball is high

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Amazing how many people get that wrong. How long has he played for us now?

Quite a long times.?

• Since start of last season. Not that long considering one doesn't read his name closely by and large nor have occasion to write it down. I still have to check sometimes and I'm relatively assiduous and attentive with this sort of thing.

• @drcongo said:
    We’ll never know for sure, but I have a feeling yesterday’s game was a crucial win that will have bolstered the spirit in the team, and had we lost we could have ended up in a nasty slump.

Agree with you there. I think sometimes when you have to fight for a win and haven’t necessarily played that well it can be a big lift to get the result.

• Definitely.

• @HCblue said:
    Since start of last season. Not that long considering one doesn't read his name closely by and large nor have occasion to write it down. I still have to check sometimes and I'm relatively assiduous and attentive with this sort of thing.

Cliff Richard
    Keith Richards
    That took most folk about thirty years to get right!

• I still get those two mixed up although they do look slightly different

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

It was a Wycombe player and others think it was harsh. Don't you get Richie's schtick yet?

• @rmjlondon said:

Over the top of the ball is high

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

Genuinely comical Richie. The ball had long gone by the time the tackle was made. DOFL!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

Genuinely comical Richie. The ball had long gone by the time the tackle was made. DOFL!

A little confused by the apparently implied suggestion that the fact that the tackle is late is capable of offsetting it being high.

• It always surprised me how many people got Paul Emblem’s name wrong, I mean how difficult can it be.

• @Wendoverman said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

It was a Wycombe player and others think it was harsh. Don't you get Richie's schtick yet?

Genuinely surprised some fairly sharp posters consistently fall into the Richie windup nonsense.

• Listening to the PA announcers at away games trying to pronounce Anton Vircavs name used to be quite amusing.

• @HCblue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

A little confused by the apparently implied suggestion that the fact that the tackle is late is capable of offsetting it being high.

Replayed it quite a few times. It was late, but not high, wasn't supposed to be an offset.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Listening to the PA announcers at away games trying to pronounce Anton Vircavs name used to be quite amusing.

Vix-house isn't it?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HCblue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@rmjlondon said:

Replayed it quite a few times. It was late, but not high, wasn't supposed to be an offset.

OK. Don't say that it was, necessarily.

• My first thought when I saw the foul was that it probably merited a red and thought the ref did well to pull the card out so quick.

So quick in fact that a few around me didn’t see it and were genuinely shocked when they overheard us talking as we walked out that it was 10 v 10 for the last half hour.

Got to agree with others comments about how poor Portsmouth looked compared with last season. And the diving was embarrassingly poor.

Also agree that it felt like a very important 3 points. There will be games when we play a lot better and end up with nothing.

Stewart snd Charles were masterful yesterday. Marquis was a handful for a lot of defences last year but I didn’t realise he was playing for most of the game

• Oddly enough the fella behind us didn't realise we'd had someone sent off for a good ten minutes after.

• I didn't realise for some time we'd had a man sent off. I saw him go down the tunnel but he seemed to be holding his arm and I assumed he'd been injured. It took me a while to realise we hadn't made a sub and then put two and two together.

• Likewise it took me a long time to to realise we were down to 10. I did see the ref brandish the red I thought to Bayo, but then later show him a yellow. I had wondered whether Bayo had persuaded him to change his mind!

• @Jonny_King said:
    I didn't realise for some time we'd had a man sent off. I saw him go down the tunnel but he seemed to be holding his arm and I assumed he'd been injured. It took me a while to realise we hadn't made a sub and then put two and two together.

Not so much holding his arm as hugging himself in anguish. The poor lad looked to be in tears as he was ushered to the tunnel.

I think we have already seen in his appearances so far that whenever Nnamdi Ofoborh gets on the pitch he is absolutely determined to put in the best performance he can. It looks as though he really wants to make the most of this opportunity to play first team football and prove his potential. That's good for Wycombe and he could be an important player for us this season.

• @Jonny_King said:
    I didn't realise for some time we'd had a man sent off. I saw him go down the tunnel but he seemed to be holding his arm and I assumed he'd been injured. It took me a while to realise we hadn't made a sub and then put two and two together.

I don’t think many people where we sit in the Woodlands were aware either. I only found out when it pinged up on my phone from the SofaScore app.

• I'm often amazed at the insights gleaned from reading posts on this forum and do aspire to be able to read the game at a much higher level. I was therefore somewhat surprised at the above revelations. From my position high in the Woodlands I thought the challenge deserved a red card straight away and was not in the least surprised as Nnamdi was led off through the gate and down the tunnel. That's it we'll get beaten now, I moaned, but as soon as the ref approached their guy with his hand in his pocket I knew he had to go too. It was game on again and far from spoiling the game it made it far more entertaining.

• Saw a video on line of Bayo’s pen filmed from the Frank Adams. No wonder folk didn’t spit the foul / red card. Like watching ants on my garden lawn. Genuine question why sit there? Can only assume it is to read the tactical shape of the game?? Down in the Beechdean it’s real lower league blood and thunder, perhaps not for the purist or faint hearted. Guess everyone is different.