Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Don't know. Don't recall why he may have been.

• He ran over and pushed Harrison a few seconds into the melee.

From the highlights, it doesn’t look like Harrison did anything worse than Charles (and less than Akinfenwa), although of course it might look different from another angle.

• On the topic in hand just how far off the pace have Portsmouth become since last season? They were a poor side who scrapped around the central threat of the ball in to Bayo and offered little the other way. Mascoll came on and played confidently. Nick Freeman kept pulling the strings.

Not the easiest watch but another great win. Shut the bell ringer up early too

• @Chris said:
    He ran over and pushed Harrison a few seconds into the melee.

From the highlights, it doesn’t look like Harrison did anything worse than Charles (and less than Akinfenwa), although of course it might look different from another angle.

I see. I imagine Harrison was punished as the instigator of the melee to which others reacted. I'm happy in principle that this is a fair distinction to make.

• Eh, I’m not sure that cuts it for me. He’s reacting to the tackle, Charles is reacting to the reaction.

You have to draw the line somewhere or everyone is getting booked all of the time. Which I suppose might be necessary if the goal really is to change behaviour and stop these kinds of melee.

• I'm in favour of doing as you say and stopping the faux outrage melees. As such, I take rugby as my guide for how to go about that in punishing the first to run in who escalates the situations and take matters out of the jurisdiction of the referee.

• But if your goal is to stop the melee, why not punish everyone who gets involved?

• edited September 2019

You could, by all means. But, assuming one wishes to minimise the use of sanctions (and make the referee's job more straightforward), arrowing in on the instigator is a more efficient way of doing the same thing. Without the first man, there are no others.

• I've not too much sympathy for Harrison. He was a red card waiting to happen all game. Bad tackle on Bayo (looked identical to the one our lad was sent off for) he was carded for, 1, or was it 2 deliberate handballs and 2 blatant dives. The 2nd yellow may or may not have been harsh, but he had it coming.

• Exactly as Wycombe85 has described.

• Portsmouth were diabolical today, I'd be fuming if I was in their end with awful tactics and a half hearted performance.

We were running on empty near the end today, the home crowd was really superb particularly in stoppage time to help see it through.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Portsmouth were diabolical today, I'd be fuming if I was in their end with awful tactics and a half hearted performance.

We were running on empty near the end today, the home crowd was really superb particularly in stoppage time to help see it through.

They were unrecognisable from the last few games with them. Jackett must be on thin ice.

Agree about the superb commitment. Gape's tackle on the half way line summed it up for me

• considering how supposedly dire they were we laboured to win the game until we got a penalty from a player who looks like he would like his manager sacked as there was no need to do it !!!

• I often wonder why some people choose to watch football when even unparalleled success provokes them to denigrate and undermine.

• When was the last time a player got a yellow for a foul on Bayo?

• @rmjlondon said:
    considering how supposedly dire they were we laboured to win the game until we got a penalty from a player who looks like he would like his manager sacked as there was no need to do it !!!

you really are one of the most negative person around. agree that it was difficult but we still.dug deep and won !

• @rmjlondon said:
    considering how supposedly dire they were we laboured to win the game until we got a penalty from a player who looks like he would like his manager sacked as there was no need to do it !!!

Come on Richie say something positive about the team you 'support'.

• Not a great game but once again we dig deep and the Wycombe spirit sees us through , 2 injuries that required subsistutions before half time and a sending off. The final 10 minutes saw the crowd being the 11th man whilst the 10 on the pitch gave their all . Off the pitch I was in the front office about 2pm looking for the team sheets when RC comes through explaining to everyone there , with charm , why they will be about 10 minutes late We are a class act both and off the pitch. I am so proud to be a supporter of this great club.

• For constant promotion favourites I've always found the games against pompey at AP generally dire. I seem to recall one particularly dreadful game where they won 1-0 with a penalty no-one except the referee saw or called for. At the time it was almost a blessed relief!

• What I find odd is that a supporter of a team leaves aside the euphoria of a victory and a great atmosphere and cheering and singing your team on at the end willing them over the line and giving them the strength to make that one last tackle, and then celebrating together like it was a genuine collective effort, and instead makes some bland point to try and prove they know more about football than everyone else.

It's fucking weird

• edited September 2019

I know the club love to minimise injury news, but does anyone know how close Aarons, Smyth and Thompson are to a return? It would sure bolster us for a tough set of fixtures in October if they were involved... I heard that Smyth was co-commentator yesterday with Phil. - did he give anything away?

• Ainsowrth said at the forum that Curtis was pretty much ready to return, as is Aarons, (though seems he was pulled from the bench yesterday?) but Smyth is still 3 weeks or so away. While we're doing so well I can't see anyone being rushed back - got a couple of FLT games coming up to ease them back in.

• Agree about not rushing anyone back - just hoping for the available squad to be as strong as possible for the big games in October, especially in the light of the Bloomfield situation as being discussed on the other thread.

• Both defences dominated the game yesterday. Very few decent chances for either side.

I thought their number 22 played like a total plonker all game. Passing it straight out of play and falling over under the slightest contact. The second yellow seemed harsh to me, but I wasn’t sorry to see him go. Similar things could be send about the number 10, who did next to nothing other than exhibit some of the most blatant diving I’ve witnessed in a while.

The midfield three of Gape, Bloomfield and Freeman is beginning to develop some nice balance. Gives us a good platform and I think with the better attackers we now have in, Blooms isn’t being asked to crash forward quite so much. In turn, Freeman is being afforded the freedom to turn on either foot from a a central position and try to work with the wide forwards on both sides.

Whereas Accy look like one of the best coaches teams, Pompey seemed totally disjointed. They pressed well and prevented us getting any rhythm. But none of them seemed to know what the other was planning to do when they got the ball forward. Very odd.

• Honestly, I thought we were even more disjointed in attack yesterday but I agree with your perception that there is potential in the midfield. I guess it's a three game ban for Oboforh so I wonder who will play next week if Blooms needs a rest.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Ainsowrth said at the forum that Curtis was pretty much ready to return, as is Aarons, (though seems he was pulled from the bench yesterday?) but Smyth is still 3 weeks or so away. While we're doing so well I can't see anyone being rushed back - got a couple of FLT games coming up to ease them back in.

Paul Smyth on the commentary suggested it was just a number mixup on the team sheets and Aarons was never meant to be on the bench.

• GA was surprisingly open about the injuries at the forum on Thursday. Curtis Thompson is fit, but GA seemed keen to use an EFL Trophy game to introduce him back in, as he's had no pre season. Smyth has a broken foot and is a few weeks away. Aarons was almost good to go again (not sure what happened yesterday, was he on the original team sheet?). Samuels had a rib injury, seemed he shouldn't be out for too long.

Personally I'm looking forward to having Samuels back, we just seem to play better when he starts. He's such a menace to the opposition defence and helps bring out the best in those around him

• We’ll never know for sure, but I have a feeling yesterday’s game was a crucial win that will have bolstered the spirit in the team, and had we lost we could have ended up in a nasty slump.

• I also thought that yesterday was a very significant win.
    Other teams may have more gifted players and be easier on the eye, but for sheer effort, character and will to win,
    I don’t think there’s a better side in League One. Those qualities will take us a long way.

• Still don't think Oforbah's challenge was a straight red card, the reactions of both benches back this up. Saying that, I suspect the ref knew it was harsh and immediately leveled things up - I'm not sure what Harrison did was worth a yellow, even if he was a liability all game.

A good battling win, with the only negatives being knocks for JJ and blooms, and no sign of Aarons still