Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• He’s already been written off by some on the FB page!

• 'Fat c**t* was the jibe aimed at Bayo, which I've heard - or heard variants of - on far too many occasions from a select few. I just try to ignore it, but it's sad as much as anything.

• You've got better self-restraint than I have

• It’s unbelievable that a player who has given the club so much on and off the field could be subjected to that kind of abuse from our own fans. What’s wrong with these people?

• edited August 2019

I think it's long been throwaway language for some people. Would they say that to his face? Of course not. Does that make it any better? No.

At the worst end of football abuse (and thankfully I've never heard any of this from a Wycombe crowd) you have the racism, homophobia etc.. You don't simply go from being sweary and horrible to being a full blown racist or homophobe, but I've long thought that the normalisation of 'lesser' abuse empowers those who hold despicable, bigoted views in private to actually air them.

• Football has long been a way for a lot of people to let off steam as a release from their miserable lives.

You can avoid the people you need to avoid at home games quite easily. More difficult att he aways. Unless you want the worst view, low and to the sides.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I wonder when the Bloomfield hunting season will begin this year. I suspect he'll mislay an easy pass before the end of August and be written off as 'Conference South at best'

After 60 minutes when the passes start going astray and the tackles start looking a bit more mistimed I am usually calling for him to be taken off (but to myself!). As for attacks on Bayo, his touch was excellent again and he laid on the second goal! But we know some people will never be happy if it's entertaining for them to wind others up!

• Bayo was excellent on Saturday. He's got so many great options to play off him now - Fred and Smyth to start, but Kashket and Wheeler waiting in the wings are superb alternatives. I think we'll see the big man become more of an assist merchant this season - his hold-up play and instinctive picking out of key passes look as strong as ever. I'd back him to get 7-10 himself too, all being well.

• edited August 2019

If Pattison had rolled the ball to Bayo in the box on what I think was his last run and shot of the afternoon, instead of kicking it past the post, then I'm 95% sure Bayo would have one goal to his name already this season. Bayo was onside and totally unmarked 14 yards out with the 'keeper focussed on Pattison.

I am not having a go at Pattison for having the shot - most others in his position would have fancied their chances of scoring themselves and done the same - just commenting that, even at that late stage in the game, Bayo was still getting himself in great positions and posing a real threat to the opposition.

• Only 114 yards out! A tap in then.

• @EwanHoosaami I knew someone would spot my error before I corrected it!

• @Uncle_T said:
    @EwanHoosaami I knew someone would spot my error before I corrected it!

Sorry mate, couldn't resist it. :-)

• edited August 2019

It's probably been picked up on already, but Pattison had half our shots on target (5/10).

• Wheeler and Fred have come in on 3 year deals, which is a huge statement of intent from the manager. Those 2 surely will feature prominently in our line ups. But then Smyth is clearly star player material too, while Pattison had a very promising debut.

Can we start with all 4 of those, and Bayo? Could be some attacking mad action there.

Kashket also signed for 3 years in the summer, but has a big mission to get a regular slot, as does Samuel and Freeman.

It's going to be an exciting season!
    It doesn't feel that long ago that with all due respect our sttack had gone massively st> @th100 said:

Bayo was excellent on Saturday. He's got so many great options to play off him now - Fred and Smyth to start, but Kashket and Wheeler waiting in the wings are superb alternatives. I think we'll see the big man become more of an assist merchant this season - his hold-up play and instinctive picking out of key passes look as strong as ever. I'd back him to get 7-10 himself too, all being well.

Wheeler came in on a 3 year deal, so you'd think he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Not sure if he can play as a central attacker but there's always the option to move fred central.

Pattison would certainly have to go easy on the runs if we ever start a game with Smyth, Fred, Bayo and Wheeler.

Samuel has his work cut out to keep his place, but then when he came in it looked like he wouldn't get on the bench and he still forced his way in.

Then there's kashket. Phew!

• At MK, Wheeler played in the hole behind the main striker, wide in a front three, and even in CM.

Smyth has to be a nailed on starter, he's too good for this level.

• I think Alex S is the one most vulnerable once our new additions are match fit.

• Only concern is that, aside from the corner, JJ did look to carry on the slightly poor form that saw him dropped at times at the end of last season - dropping passes etc.

• He did make more key passes (passes leading to shots) than anyone else and his delivery wasn't too bad, but he does look every so slightly shaky. Fred had to cover for him a fair bit when he came on, not sure how sustainable that is against better opposition though.

• Are people really complaining about JJ's performance on Saturday?

'Ever so slightly shaky'. The standards set are so high

• I thought JJ looked fine.

• JJ looked pretty untroubled, as did the whole of the defence.

• @Malone said:
    JJ looked pretty untroubled, as did the whole of the defence.

Phew! I thought I was watching a different game. @bigred87 and his large group of friends leaving may have distracted me.

• To be honest, much bigger tests for our defence to come.

• @Malone said:
    Wheeler and Fred have come in on 3 year deals, which is a huge statement of intent from the manager. Those 2 surely will feature prominently in our line ups. But then Smyth is clearly star player material too, while Pattison had a very promising debut.

Can we start with all 4 of those, and Bayo? Could be some attacking mad action there.

Kashket also signed for 3 years in the summer, but has a big mission to get a regular slot, as does Samuel and Freeman.

It doesn't feel that long ago that with all due respect our sttack had gone massively st
    @th100 said:

Bayo was excellent on Saturday. He's got so many great options to play off him now - Fred and Smyth to start, but Kashket and Wheeler waiting in the wings are superb alternatives. I think we'll see the big man become more of an assist merchant this season - his hold-up play and instinctive picking out of key passes look as strong as ever. I'd back him to get 7-10 himself too, all being well.

Wheeler came in on a 3 year deal, so you'd think he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Not sure if he can play as a central attacker but there's always the option to move fred central.

Pattison would certainly have to go easy on the runs if we ever start a game with Smyth, Fred, Bayo and Wheeler.

Samuel has his work cut out to keep his place, but then when he came in it looked like he wouldn't get on the bench and he still forced his way in.

All that and no mention of Parker?

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @drcongo said:

@Malone said:
    Wheeler and Fred have come in on 3 year deals, which is a huge statement of intent from the manager. Those 2 surely will feature prominently in our line ups. But then Smyth is clearly star player material too, while Pattison had a very promising debut.

It doesn't feel that long ago that with all due respect our sttack had gone massively st
    @th100 said:

Good point. I wonder how he'll fit in.

• @Malone said:

Good point. I wonder how he'll fit in.

By the look of him he would be the slighty smaller big man in the middle perhaps?

• On the basis of absolutely nothing - and with an abysmal track record - I have the feeling that Parker will be this year’s (slightly) unexpected major success and top score with around 15 goals

• Based purely on what I've seen of his ability to win the ball and hold on to it, I'm hoping he's the other central option for when Bayo needs a rest. Would be great to have a somewhat younger option vying for first choice there.

• The 2 year contract is certainly a show of faith in him.