Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Certainly was a unique and different game today. A professional, patient performance by us with some encouraging glimpses in to what some of the new recruits can bring. Hopefully once the team gels further and we get in to the proper games that hold us in good stead.

The game had a testimonial feel but the Bolton number 30 gave one of the great away player performances at Adams Park today. He was immense.

Having said that Anthony Stewart ran him close and his skill to create the space to make that defence splitting pass would have been picked over for days by the Premier League talking heads.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@bigred87 said:
    took 3 guest's along today and they asked to leave before half time.

This never happened.

It might have done because they were fed up sitting next to him. > @Malone said:

@bigred87 said:

This never happened.

Honestly it did, honest..... really shit football literally goes from defender to striker in the air constantly.... the way you people bite its comical what football are you watching really to find that entertaining? Bolton played attractive football fair play to them they never wanted to go long, wycombe on the other hand wow..... never again good luck for the rest of the season guys thank fuck i won't be returning to watch that crap terrible team?

• @bigred87 said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@bigred87 said:

This never happened.

It might have done because they were fed up sitting next to him. > @Malone said:

@bigred87 said:

This never happened.

Honestly it did, honest..... really shit football literally goes from defender to striker in the air constantly.... the way you people bite its comical what football are you watching really to find that entertaining? Bolton played attractive football fair play to them they never wanted to go long, wycombe on the other hand wow..... never again good luck for the rest of the season guys thank fuck i won't be returning to watch that crap terrible team?

good riddance, we don't need so called supporters like you.

• Pretty sure this is something like @bigred87’s 19th or 20th flounce. Definitely his earliest though.

• Yes unusual opening day. A bit like a Checkatrade match against a U21 team, albeit with a crowd.

Some encouraging displays. Pattison is like a young Matt Bloomfield with his energetic forward running. Shooting’s a bit similar too! Possibly a bit lightweight, as indeed Matt was as a youngster but a good first game.

Smyth took his goal well and had some good moments, more to come from him I think. Grimmer looks a proper right back, no worries there. Fred looked lively too when he game on, although Wheeler slightly struggled to get into the game. He’s a good player though and it’ll be interesting to see how Gareth fits him into our playing style.

Finally some excellent performances from some of our more familiar players too. Tools outstanding. Gape, Blooms, Bayo and El Abd all doing what they do with aplomb.

Nice cameo from Freeman, interesting to see him being used in a midfield role rather than as a wide forward. May be his best chance of a game given the number of forwards in the squad. Would be great to see him flourish there as he’s such a talented player.

• @mooneyman said:

Unusually I would have given an away player MofM namely Zouma. He looked like a more cultured Pierre. Bolton's defence completely disintegrated when he went off injured.

Agree with this and I also thought that Stewart had a brilliant game for us. Like I said, there were some excellent individual performances.

• Great job by the big man; proving his doubters wrong time and time again

• Honestly it did, honest..... really shit football literally goes from defender to striker in the air constantly.... the way you people bite its comical what football are you watching really to find that entertaining? Bolton played attractive football fair play to them they never wanted to go long, wycombe on the other hand wow..... never again good luck for the rest of the season guys thank fuck i won't be returning to watch that crap terrible team?

Assuming this isn’t a wind up, it’s the best news of the day that you will no longer be gracing us with your presence and thoughtful insights. There is no right or wrong style of football. Bolton passed the ball in a neat and tidy fashion, but mainly in their own half or in midfield. They failed to create any decent chances and our goalkeeper didn’t have to make a single save. I’m not criticising them due to the inexperience of their line up, but that’s the truth.
    Wycombe, however, had countless opportunities and could easily have won 4 or 5-0. If you have an asset like Akinfenwa, you play to his strengths.
    If you and your friends so enjoyed Bolton’s play, why not stay on and watch them? Why leave at half time?

• Please don't feed the trolls

• You’re right, I’m just bored with no Match of the Day to watch! Mind you, other posters are saying this guy is for real.

• @bigred87 I thought you only came and suffered the dogshit football you've had to endure the last few seasons for your young 'un. Bringing friends along to see us winning was a bit if a leap of faith!

• To be fair I assume it's one of Richie's personas.

• Good luck to Bolton their manager players and fans for the rest of the season.

• @Wendoverman dont be so stupid please

• I thought it was a Plymouth fan!

• @rmjlondon kind of touching you said please. @Shev I think bigred is a bigred fan

• Have had to zip through this thread very quickly so I may be repeating what’s already been said about Yoan Zouma, younger brother of Kurt the Chelsea player and French international (number 30 for Bolton today). Extremely impressive for a guy who’s just turned 21. His marking of Bayo was superb.

• Also very impressed with Denis Politic (number 22).

• Signing politic would shurely divide the Gasroom

• I'd only want Politic if we played him on the left

• A Bolton fan coming in peace!!
    Would just like to thank Wycombe for such a warm welcome. It was a weird day not knowing who was playing for us, the team playing in a £8.80 kit bought from pro direct soccer and without being disrespectful, being 16/1 to win. Your guys played the long game, tired us out and then picked us apart. Akinfenwa is a superstar and it was nice he came over at the end as well as your manager. Good luck for the rest of the season. Proud to be a wanderer.

• @Bolton58 said:
    A Bolton fan coming in peace!!
    Would just like to thank Wycombe for such a warm welcome. It was a weird day not knowing who was playing for us, the team playing in a £8.80 kit bought from pro direct soccer and without being disrespectful, being 16/1 to win. Your guys played the long game, tired us out and then picked us apart. Akinfenwa is a superstar and it was nice he came over at the end as well as your manager. Good luck for the rest of the season. Proud to be a wanderer.

All the best.
    You're correct on the odds. By rights playing Bolton should have had us big underdogs. Instead it was a surreal experience of how long could your kids hold out. A decently long time was the answer! Once your star centre back went off it opened up entirely and could have ended up anything, as our lads queued up to waste chances.

Great support in the circumstances and i dare say it'll be a totally different experience at your place later in the year.

• edited August 2019

The game was hardly a classic, those expecting us to romp to victory must have had the first cold shower when they saw the starting line-up. The line up suggested an attritional affair with Ainsworth hoping to grind Bolton's youngsters into the ground rather than pass them to death.
    If Zouma hadn't had such an outstanding professional debut that approach might have worked, though when Akinfenwa found he couldn't just throw his weight around like a sixth-former playing against the year 7 kids, we struggled to get the plan B of attacking down the wings together. Samuel looked out of place on the left and Smyth barely got a touch in the first 30 minutes, but started to show inklings of his threat when he dropped a little deeper to get on the ball.
    In the second half we had a bit more joy down the wings when Smyth and Samuel swapped, and eventually took control of the game, though Bolton were in with a puncher's chance for far longer than we should have allowed. In the last 10 mins, we really should have made the scoreline flatter us, though you'd like to think on another day Akinfenwa would bury a fair amount of the chances that he spurned. Pattison deserved a goal to cap an excellent debut in midfield, though it was good to see Smyth and Fred get off the mark.

My initial thoughts after the game were that we would have to buck our ideas up if we want to survive this season, though keeping some of the new signings' powder dry for Rovers away and Reading in the League Cup could pay dividends and make up for any short-term pain in watching not exactly the most entertaining football you'll ever see yesterday.

Also to echo other posters comments, Bolton fans were terrific today giving their youngsters fantastic support and never getting on their backs. Hopefully the club can sort itself out before they end up in Bury's position, which looks increasingly desperate by the day.

• 15 February @Malone. Had to be pedantic in case anyone thought it would be before Christmas. Forgive me old son.

• @ReadingMarginalista if we struggle with the squad we have now GA will be under pressure for probably the first time as WW manager !!!

• Hardly a great surprise that a tram with so many new signings struggled to hit the ground running. Must have been a weird game to play in as well as watch, next Saturday will give us a far better idea of where we are.

• edited August 2019

Just hope they're on the right tracks

• Let’s not derail the plans in these exciting times just yet.

• @rmjlondon said:
    @ReadingMarginalista if we struggle with the squad we have now GA will be under pressure for probably the first time as WW manager !!!

best squad we have had for years. optimisitc for the season , think we can aim for play offs

• Certainly the paciest. And, just as importantly, the youngest. Let’s hope we have fewer injuries than in recent seasons (or at least that these younger players recover more quickly). I feel confident that we will avoid the stress of the last few months of last season especially if we are able to retain the likes of Paul Smyth beyond January.

We could also do with a good Cup run and some TV income of course. But there’s no denying the good vibe around the place currently.

PS Quick chat with Sido. Back in training and hopes to be back in contention in 2-3 weeks.

PPS Interesting swapping of sides between El-Abd and Stewart for yesterday’s game.. I assume the idea was to provide extra pace on the left side of the back four. It certainly seemed to work well and the superb footwork and pass from Stewart to enable Paul Smyth to score the opener made me think that he’d be a more than able deputy at left back.