Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Great to see Rob and his wife on the terrace today and I managed to have a quick word with them. "Missy" seems to be a lovely friendly lady.

I have a feeling that we could have struck very lucky with this potential investor. I certainly did not have the same confidence over Bill and Ben or whatever they were called.

• Pattison stand out player today. Zouma for them.

• Personally, when he came on, I thought Wheeler looked a real class act. The game changed dramatically when they took off their No: 10, whom I would have at this club in a heartbeat. Zouma too was a colossus at the back and would walk into our side. As has been observed, when they ran out of legs, Freeman, Fred, Patisson & Wheelr could smell blood and really went at them. A bit more ruthless finishing and four-nil could easily have been the scoreline.
    A big shout out to their fans whom I thought were immense, as were their young lads in the team. Not afraid to play keep ball even in danger ares, great body movement & ball protection. If the admin men can sort their mess out quickly, I believe they have a decent chance of survival with PP as their manager.
    Looking forward to next Saturday against the "horse punchers".

• Erhun Oztumer is their 10. Didn't do so well in the Championship but got 29 goals in two seasons in League One for Walsall.

• I actually though Bloomfield was excellent first half. In the end an enjoyable game and I can’t imagine there will be too many matches i’ll be able to sit back with 10 minutes left knowing we are going to win (I usually need us to be at least 4 goals up).

I did like Pattison and another day he could have had a hat-trick. Smyth looked promising and took his chance brilliantly and Grimmer had a relatively untroubled game. But credit all round. It was a game we had to earn the 3 points and better for it.

Credit to Bolton and their fans. A masterclass from Zouma in how to marshall an inexperienced defence.

Ref was okay I thought other than the Gape tackles which perfectly timed, a late handball in the box and the foul on Allsop which probably did merit a yellow but wasn’t in keeping withe the game so happy he didn’t.

• I found the first half a disappointment and the second much more promising (and entertaining).

Though other factors were involved to make it perhaps a little easier than earlier in the game, the sight of Freeman picking the ball up in his own half and immediately turning and looking to counter quickly, which he did numerous times in the last twenty minutes, was one of the more uplifting of my recent spectatorial experiences.

• Did I hear correctly, when the teams came out, that the Couhigs were described as the new owners? If so, have I missed something?

• @bigred87 said:
    took 3 guest's along today and they asked to leave before half time.

This never happened.

• Didn't catch that but clearly a misinterpretation of a (soon to be) shareholding benefactor. personally, I'm very impressed indeed with Rob, Missy and Pete Couhig. They're bringing a much needed energy, inspiration and good old kick up the bum (butt) to Wycombe!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Didn't catch that but clearly a misinterpretation of a (soon to be) shareholding benefactor. personally, I'm very impressed indeed with Rob, Missy and Pete Couhig. They're bringing a much needed energy, inspiration and good old kick up the bum (butt) to Wycombe!

100% agree and, though you perhaps meant to imply it in last part of your praise, the clear signs of purposeful commercial improvements is so very, very encouraging.

I find myself agreeing with their every utterance in the interviews with them that I see and read. They seem to have a really clear idea of how they might bring about improvement to our financial position and the happy gift of being able to articulate it clearly and positively.

• @Malone said:

@bigred87 said:
    took 3 guest's along today and they asked to leave before half time.

This never happened.

It might have done because they were fed up sitting next to him. Unbelievable negativity.

• After today, my favoured midfield and attack for next week would be:

Gape
    Pattison
    Freeman
    Smythe
    Bayo
    Fred

...with Wheeler, Bloomers, Kashket, Parker and Alex all waiting in the wings.

Poor CMS, though! This does feel like one of those "mutually agreed terminations" waiting to happen, with him playing for someone like Crawley by the end of November. I think us getting both Fred and Josh Parker so late in the day, really killed his chances.

• @aloysius said:
    The score sugarcoats it but we really should have carved this Bolton side open far earlier. We've signed some quality players and so it's a shame to see us go direct and long from the first kick of the ball. Fred for Bayo, Freeman for Samuel, Wheeler for Bloomfield for me next week - when we start playing against 11 first-teamers we're going to need a lot more then we were offering today.

I thought we were excellent and on another day could have had 4 or 5 goals. Allsop didn’t have to make a single save in the whole game.

• Have to mention the Bolton supporters. They were absolutely magnificent throughout. I really hope things start to get better for them really soon

• @Shev said:
    After today, my favoured midfield and attack for next week would be:

Gape
    Pattison
    Freeman
    Smythe
    Bayo
    Fred

...with Wheeler, Bloomers, Kashket, Parker and Alex all waiting in the wings.

Poor CMS, though! This does feel like one of those "mutually agreed terminations" waiting to happen, with him playing for someone like Crawley by the end of November. I think us getting both Fred and Josh Parker so late in the day, really killed his chances.

Yep - he's gone from being in a pool of 4 other attackers, with Bayo, Kashket Samuel and Freeman, to seeing us bring in Smyth, Fred, Wheeler and Parker.

He's got very little chance here now, which is unfortunate in some ways, but it's football, and it's all about improving the squad.
    In fairness, when you ship a player off on loan for 4-5months to a lower division, it'd be quite surprising to see them come back, a division up, and be a regular.

• Here here Eric

• @glasshalffull said:

@aloysius said:
    The score sugarcoats it but we really should have carved this Bolton side open far earlier. We've signed some quality players and so it's a shame to see us go direct and long from the first kick of the ball. Fred for Bayo, Freeman for Samuel, Wheeler for Bloomfield for me next week - when we start playing against 11 first-teamers we're going to need a lot more then we were offering today.

I thought we were excellent and on another day could have had 4 or 5 goals. Allsop didn’t have to make a single save in the whole game.

Pattison himself could have had a hattrick, as could Fred.
    Freeman, Bayo, the chances were getting silly in quantity near the end.

• Of all the new signings, Pattison was the player I knew least about but the one who impressed me the most today. There were so many good individual performances but he gets my MofM.

• Pattison was brilliant, looks like another great freebie

• Job done. Felt a bit like a first round cup match against a National League South team.
    Promising from the new players. Bayo showed he'll be important in certain situations all season. Thought the first half showed continuity from last season which is important with so many new players to integrate. I'd expect similar in the next few games after which the quality of the new players will doubtless cement their places in the XI

• Bayo came out as SofaScore's player of the day in League One - great site for more detailed match data, probably as good as you're going to get for free.
  • @mooneyman said:
    Great to see Rob and his wife on the terrace today and I managed to have a quick word with them. "Missy" seems to be a lovely friendly lady.

I have a feeling that we could have struck very lucky with this potential investor. I certainly did not have the same confidence over Bill and Ben or whatever they were called.

It was Bill and Ted, actually.

• Pattison really came onto a good game in the last quarter when they visibly tired and gaps opened up to roam.

My MOM though was Stewart. Flawless performance and a real set piece threat. And crucially it was his skill on the wing beating two players and floated pass that unlocked them for the all important opener.

• @NorsQuarters said:

@mooneyman said:
    Great to see Rob and his wife on the terrace today and I managed to have a quick word with them. "Missy" seems to be a lovely friendly lady.

It was Bill and Ted, actually.

Certainly a 50-50 on whether it'd have been an excellent adventure, or a bogus journey.

• Here here Eric

@glasshalffull said:
    Of all the new signings, Pattison was the player I knew least about but the one who impressed me the most today. There were so many good individual performances but he gets my MofM.

Unusually I would have given an away player MofM namely Zouma. He looked like a more cultured Pierre. Bolton's defence completely disintegrated when he went off injured.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not too surprised that Zouma looks like such a prospect, his brother's not half bad!

• Not sure how long Thompson is out, but when we can combine him Gape and Pattison we'll have a fine midfield three there.

• Allsop had very little to do today so very difficult to judge. Just wish we would have worked the ball out more quickly from defence instead of continually hoofing it up front to Bayo.