Skip to content

Ticketing System

Comments

• Making fun of kids, handicapped people and even the dead is some fairly nasty material, however cleverly satirical any political stuff he does might be.

• As I said on another thread, thank goodness we’ll soon have some football to discuss...then we can really start to disagree with each other!

• Having spent time around disabled children and some with Downes I would say there are plenty of light hearted and genuinely funny moments with them. If I was a goid comedian I use it as a source of material.

• That's a bit different from his joke about Harvey Price though, isn't it.

• Have you heard the material in context @Chris ? It was workshopped and part of his show for months before it became a new story. I'd heard it and forgotten it before it made the press.

• I’ve not and I don’t need to. It’s unpleasant and makes me think less of him as a performer, which is a shame as he can be funny.

• @Malone: I’ve always struggled to remember which is Merton and which Merson. You are of course absolutely right. It was the Merton Paul. We were visiting our daughter this afternoon and I reminded her that she went right off him after watching Have I got News being recorded many years ago. She was surprised and disappointed at the time to discover that pretty well the whole show is rehearsed and most of the witty responses are dreamed up in advance. She and our son-in-law share our enjoyment of Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) but that seems to be the exception that proves the generational rule. One of their current favourites is Chris Lilley and we watched a series of sketches on Netflix, a fair number of which produced a chortle or two.

• I always apply the Piers Morgan test:

Will this (whatever it is) upset/offend/outrage Piers Morgan?

If the answer is yes I am pretty much always of the view it’s a good thing (even if s disagree with it). Same test used to apply to Paul Dacre and the Daily Mail.

Served me well as a philosophy and I am a fine, well-balanced individual (on the days they let me out on my own).

• @bookertease said:
    I always apply the Piers Morgan test:

Will this (whatever it is) upset/offend/outrage Piers Morgan?

If the answer is yes I am pretty much always of the view it’s a good thing (even if s disagree with it). Same test used to apply to Paul Dacre and the Daily Mail.

Served me well as a philosophy and I am a fine, well-balanced individual (on the days they let me out on my own).

Indeed. I also think that although jo brand might have got it wrong 're acid and beery Nigel's frog face...the mock anti-bbc outrage of the great race and hate baiter was risible.

• @micra said:
    @Malone: I’ve always struggled to remember which is Merton and which Merson. You are of course absolutely right. It was the Merton Paul. We were visiting our daughter this afternoon and I reminded her that she went right off him after watching Have I got News being recorded many years ago. She was surprised and disappointed at the time to discover that pretty well the whole show is rehearsed and most of the witty responses are dreamed up in advance. She and our son-in-law share our enjoyment of Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) but that seems to be the exception that proves the generational rule. One of their current favourites is Chris Lilley and we watched a series of sketches on Netflix, a fair number of which produced a chortle or two.

Yep, we all massively suspected it, but good to hear for sure it is like that.

Imagine the incredible instant wit that would have been required otherwise!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Indeed. I also think that although jo brand might have got it wrong 're acid and beery Nigel's frog face...the mock anti-bbc outrage of the great race and hate baiter was risible.

I like Jo Brand, she shouldn't have made that comment in the current climate, even in the context of the show she made it on, but it was no worse than Farage saying:

"But if they don't deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines."

• Sorry to keep bringing it back to the Ricky Gervais / Sam Harris podcast but they actually discuss the Jo Brand issue.

Jo Brand is not seriously suggesting anyone throw acid - that's the joke. She is in part having a jab at people who would ever think that is an acceptable thing to do.

• Shall we just say (with a good deal of generosity) that yours is an “interesting” interpretation @OxfordBlue !

• I cant believe Ricky Gervais and comedy is being mentioned in the same sentence.... personally I find him about as funny as a red hot poker up your you know what

• @micra said:
    Shall we just say (with a good deal of generosity) that yours is an “interesting” interpretation @OxfordBlue !

Do you think she was seriously suggesting someone should throw acid?

• For all the booing & fringe on here re the comedians, have you ever watched "After Life" on Netflix? Possibly the best mix of humour and sadness I have ever seen. I believe RG wrote it, was the main character in it and though I stand to be corrected, produced it.

• I agree @EwanHoosaami . Although it was a little obvious in terms of where it was always going to end up, I thought After Life was rather sensitively written with some genuine and thoughtful sentiments in and nowhere near as mawkish and misplaced as the one episode I could stomach to watch of Derek.

• There we go i thought afterlife was a good idea and well made but was appalling with unbelievable character arc and a mawkishness that was dreadful. People kept saying he was lovely when he showed no sign of it...the footage of him playing tricks on his poor wife were just crass and the fact he treated his brother in law (supposedly his late wife's brother)So appallingly was completely unbelievable. I think it was Stephen merchant who gave him the quality edge and without being reined in poor old Ricky is desperate to shock and yet be loved and Derek and after life were very poor. But to take the piers Morgan view everyone seems to like them so who cares what I think ☺☺☺

• @OxfordBlue said:

@micra said:
    Shall we just say (with a good deal of generosity) that yours is an “interesting” interpretation @OxfordBlue !

Do you think she was seriously suggesting someone should throw acid?

You’d have to ask Jo @OxfordBlue but I thought her comment suggested a hatred of the victim of the yogurt attack. Far too much of that about nowadays (hatred not yogurt!) but I know the programme - Heresy - a Radio 4 “Comedy Talk Show” purportedly aiming to “challenge people’s most deeply entrenched opinions on a subject” is inevitably going to invite views of the kind expressed by Ms Brand. Arguably views likely to incite the kind of hatred that seems to be so prevalent.

Having said all that, I generally find Jo Brand “a bit of a laugh” and her inventiveness on Countdown and chairing of Have I got News are first class.

• Can anyone remember what the final position is/was regarding STs today? I seem to think that it’s just show the old new one but are we meant to pick up the new ones as well?

• I hope it's just show the old new one at the turnstile. I know there are those still to get hands on any kind of new ST. Making those of us with a new, although now out of date, ST join the queue as well just seems illogical.
    Although how the turnstiles will cope with new new ST/old new ST/new QR codes and NO CASH entry is anyone's guess.
    I'm sure it'll be fine ...

• Called the club yesterday and they said if the new one doesn't show in the post then bring a the old one and you can get in on that.

• And I still recommend the Jimmy Carr most offensive joke ever....look it up on face tube. Gets to the nub of offensive jokes, is the joke itself offensive or is it the interpretation of the listener who creates the offence when none is actually spoken.

Deep man.....I'm off down the ground to start making a dent in the rebellion.

• Thanks @Ozzie_the_Relaxed. And I hope they haven’t run out of beer before I get there

• @OxfordBlue I heard the Sam Harris / Ricky Gervais podcast and found it extraordinarily interesting. I certainly thought better of Ricky Gervais after hearing it

To cover both main aspects of this thread in one post, I’m here at the ground having got here an hour early because I hadn’t received my original season ticket. It did indeed take approximately 10 seconds to collect it and now I have more than an hour to wait for the football. A wait much ameliorated by the Rebellion

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @OxfordBlue I heard the Sam Harris / Ricky Gervais podcast and found it extraordinarily interesting. I certainly thought better of Ricky Gervais after hearing it

To cover both main aspects of this thread in one post, I’m here at the ground having got here an hour early because I hadn’t received my original season ticket. It did indeed take approximately 10 seconds to collect it and now I have more than an hour to wait for the football. A wait much ameliorated by the Rebellion

Glad to hear it on all counts!

• I hear the new system works by a process of teenagers eyes scanning your card . Worked okay for me today.

• @Twizz said:
    I hope it's just show the old new one at the turnstile. I know there are those still to get hands on any kind of new ST. Making those of us with a new, although now out of date, ST join the queue as well just seems illogical.
    Although how the turnstiles will cope with new new ST/old new ST/new QR codes and NO CASH entry is anyone's guess.
    I'm sure it'll be fine ...

It seems churlish to moan about stuff, when we've just started a league one season with a real coast of a 2-0 win, but they could have opened more than one turnstile for the Frank Adams. Unless they're for some reason shut one or 2 off by the time I arrived at 2.50.

Watching the operator messing around with a scanner on someone's printed ticket was fun. He was grateful to see me just wave the "Old" new season ticket.

We all know they do attendances counting STH whether they're there or now, but presumably they'd want to know how many are "actually" in the ground for fire reasons or something?
    Can't see how ticket flashers like myself would be counted?

• It was all a bit of a manual process on the BMI terrace too. Some with old ST, some with paper tickets, some with phone app. Seems like everyone got in, although the guy turned away because he was trying to pay cash didn't look happy at having to go back to buy an actual ticket at the ticket window first.

My only personal issue was trying to use the app to buy a mates ticket for £5. Admittedly I'd already used my ST number to buy one yesterday but disappointed that it wouldn't let me buy another today when I'm sure it said you could get 4 tickets. Anyway since it was 2:30pm this might have been a cut off in app rather than anything else so .not maki g an issue of it.

We won so I'm happy.

• @Twizz that happened to me on Friday. Was trying to buy three tickets, cocked up the transaction entering my card details and when I tried again it said I’d used the code already, despite having bought nothing.

Club sent me another code which sorted it, but something to be aware of if they do that deal again.