Skip to content

Ticketing System

Comments

• Not to mention the £2000 (?) postage cost @OxfordBlue .

• Perhaps Fred's donated a weeks wages.

• But we paid for postage on the original ticket (or at least I did) so where is the loss @micra?

• The loss would be on the replacement ticket wouldn’t it or am I being characteristically dense? I was only repeating what @oldblue told me.

• There'd be a slight loss on mine as I bought them direct so wasn't charged postage.

• edited July 2019

@mooneyman said:
    But we paid for postage on the original ticket (or at least I did) so where is the loss @micra?

Me too. Keeps the posties in work. And as for getting it on the day. I've already got enough to remember on match day. Park car. Wonder where money from parking car actually goes. Buy 50/50. Buy The Wanderer. Look at merchandise I'm too tight to buy and too fat to wear. Drink alcoholic beverage (One). Squeeze through turnstile that seems narrower than last season. Buy Crisps from spotty youth to soak up alcoholic beverage. Watch players shooting, missing goal and injuring people in terrace.., etc etc.

• But if a supplier sends you a duff product, you dont really expect to pay the postage on its replacement as well @micra. I cant remember why the original ticket wasn't fit for purpose though.

• Classic @Wendoverman and brilliant!

• edited July 2019

@mooneyman said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    I don't really see the point in posting out season tickets.

In order to use your ticket, you have to turn up at the ground... so why not get rid of the faff and hassle of posting them out, and insist on in-person collection at the entrance to Adams Park?

Assuming 2000 season ticket holders turn up and allowing 10 seconds for each supporter to be identified and handed his/her ticket, this would take over 5 hours! I dont really want to arrive at 10.00am!

Most season ticket holders probably go to a friendly or the club shop at some point in pre-season, and you could also spread them out at the relevant turnstiles. And not all of them will turn up on day 1.

• But they have only become available today @OxfordBlue.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Classic @Wendoverman and brilliant!

At his very best there. Great comic talent. Almost the equivalent in print of “it’s the way I tell ‘em” - RIP Frank Carson, miserable so and so notwithstanding.

• @mooneyman said:
    But they have only become available today @OxfordBlue.

Haha true. But that was unforeseen by everyone and fucks every plan up!

• @micra said:

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Classic @Wendoverman and brilliant!

At his very best there. Great comic talent. Almost the equivalent in print of “it’s the way I tell ‘em” - RIP Frank Carson, miserable so and so notwithstanding.

I will take the compliment based on the comedic stylings of Frank 'Mr TV' Carson...rather than a disappointingly racist Frank 'I can say what I want Live' Carson who performed at a works do some years ago!

• This is going to be the weirdest game since Lionel Ritchie played the Frank Adams

• Saw him twice. Once on holiday in Ilfracombe about 35 years ago. Saw him propping up the bar afterwards and told our daughter (then about 14) to ask him to sign the programme. Mumbled grumpily, signed it and handed it back.
    Fast forward 25 years and I’m selling programmes front of house at the Swan. In walks Frank with a big grin and in response to my greeting he says “Ai’ll be fonny, I was last nait”. Being shy I refrained from saying “it’s the way you tell ‘em”. I don’t recall any racist jokes but even as recently as that they tended (sadly) to wash over our heads. To be honest I don’t remember anything he said but he was indeed fonny.

• @micra I fear he misjudged his audience that particular night...

• You mean the works do? Or the audience of one in the Swan foyer?

• @micra said:
    You mean the works do? Or the audience of one in the Swan foyer?

Definitely the works do...sounds like he did alright at the Swan :wink:

• Just got an e-mail:

'We're just getting in touch to ask you to please bring your existing season ticket card to Adams Park to gain access to Saturday’s opening League 1 fixture against Bolton Wanderers (k.o. 3pm)...these will be checked visually to grant access.'

They are also expecting a 'bumper crowd'....aaaah the season is nearly here.

• Use the card they actually got out impressively quickly, and it's a "kid on turnstile will look at it" job.

At least it'll get one airing!

• @Malone as long as they don't touch it and cut the auction value...

'We see these very rarely. And you say this hasn't seen the light of day since that famous Bolton game? Incredible. Thank you so much for bringing it this afternoon...'

• Whichever comedian appeared there (we packed up three years ago) audiences always seemed to find them much funnier than I did (and, for all I know, mrs micra did). So many depended on liberal use of the ‘f’ word (and worse) and excruciatingly detailed description of body parts and functions (and malfunction of course). I prefer “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue” style humour or Tim Vine/Milton Jones one-liners to slapstick so I wasn’t surprised that Lee Evans left me cold. I was so bored I counted the ‘f’s over a minute and extrapolated (?) to establish a rough total for his show as a whole. It was well over 1000.
    Just saying.

• I’m with you Micra on modern ‘comedians’ who think the only way to get laughs is by using crude language or insulting people. Frankie Boyle is one of the worst examples. If preferring the humour of Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise etc means I’m a dinosaur, I’m happy to go on living in Jurassic Park.

• Back in the golden age of comedy when the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson didn’t need to stoop to insults or offensiveness to be funny.

• Sorry if this has been covered earlier (too many pages to look through) but any ideas on how as a ST holder, I buy a £5 guest ticket?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m with you Micra on modern ‘comedians’ who think the only way to get laughs is by using crude language or insulting people. Frankie Boyle is one of the worst examples. If preferring the humour of Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise etc means I’m a dinosaur, I’m happy to go on living in Jurassic Park.

Milligan, Cleese, Everett........ Sessions

• @Chris said:
    Back in the golden age of comedy when the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson didn’t need to stoop to insults or offensiveness to be funny

I agree with you about those two, but they were exceptions to the rule. My point is that the majority of today’s more popular comics seem to rely heavily on bad language and regaling audiences with their political views. A shining exception is the excellent Peter Kay, a genuinely funny guy.

• If were harping on about 70's comedians, i'd much rather watch the brilliant innovative sweary Billy Connolly than your fellow scouser 'Tory Tarby' spouting lame jokes about golf every five minutes, that's when he wasnt snivveling up to the establishment.

• Sadly as is always the case for every classic bit of comedy or comedian there are about thirty rubbish ones...we sift them out. I still find les Dawson's stand-up funny even with the mother in law jokes . But then if you knew my mother in law....

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m with you Micra on modern ‘comedians’ who think the only way to get laughs is by using crude language or insulting people. Frankie Boyle is one of the worst examples. If preferring the humour of Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise etc means I’m a dinosaur, I’m happy to go on living in Jurassic Park.

Frankie Boyle is the finest comedian working in Britain today.