Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• No @Adethegreen. That is simply untrue.
    There was abuse along the touch line but the worst was in the corner close to the ambulance exit. Indeed I know a number of supporters with season tickets in that area who were deeply embarrassed by what happened and utterly mortified that it was repeated the following season.
    You may deny history if you wish. It doesn’t change what happened

• Good post @EwanHoosaami especially regarding not seeing what is in front of them. We literally ran circles round them during the first half with a good deal of fast-moving, slick and skilful football. We should have been 2 or 3 up. I said at half time that I hoped it wouldn’t be (in that strange phrase) “a game of two halves”.
    There WAS a second half, as there generally is, and Plymouth raised their game and forced us on to the defensive for long periods. They also adopted a much more physical approach and, on the balance of play, seemed likely to get an equaliser. The fact that they didn’t was down to superb defending with only one shot on target over the whole 100 minutes compared with our 7. But they did beat us 3-1 on yellow cards. Not sure how they avoided a red. I thought throwing an opponent to the ground was a red card offence. And charging the goalkeeper in the back (twice) would have received two yellows from some referees (unless of course the fouls weren’t committed by the same player, as I thought).

• And yet, you’re the only one on your forum saying it happened.

It never happened around me, end of.

• The gifts that just keep on giving.

Can we have this type of post match entertainment every weekend?

• You probably will, who you got next Saturdays?

• TommyTynan01,I’m still waiting for an answer to my question re the tactical use of ball boys by MrAdams although quite frankly, and please forgive me if this sounds a tad impolite, I’m not sure I care what you think.

• Please don’t take silence as acquiescence @Adethegreen. Not everyone spends Sunday morning on the Gasroom.

• I’m at work, got no place to be.

Just had a look at your last week’s thread regarding Bristol Rovers, main topic? Time wasting/gamesmanship.

• Yes, we do seem to carefully pick and choose who to employ the dark arts against. Rovers and Plymouth are both at the top of that list!

• Doncaster thread: surprised that Doncaster didn’t close up shop as well as you would have done, mentions of how well you “game manage” “no time wasting from Donny’s keeper”.

Doncaster quote “ horrible nasty little club”.

But hey, we’re the only ones eh!

• Food for thought: most fans of Sunderland, a genuinely big club who were in the Premier League not long ago, were very complementary about Wycombe when we nearly beat them at their place.

• @Adethegreen said:
    Braywanderer, that’s what administration does for you.

Maybe if you lived within your means and not chased the holy grail of the prem you may still be a championship club. We know we are punching above our weight and we are proud of where we are and what we’re doing. Maybe if DA managed games better you may not be fighting relegation. Most teams below you have 1or2 games in hand after Tuesdays games you may be 20th

• You will note @Adethegreen that a number of other posters have referred to the same incident in this thread and others. You really do seem to be remarkably adept at ignoring and denying reality when it conflicts with your agenda.

Argyle, like it’s city, has a base of supporters who are overwhelmingly decent people. Sadly both the club and the city have a significant proportion of utter knobheads most of whom seem to carry a massive chip on their shoulder. Perhaps all clubs are the same (especially those representing biggish cities).

I have to say too that the management of the club (both administrative and footballing) do seem to be peculiarly incompetent. I have long thought the city and the decent majority in its supporter base deserve much better than it delivers.

• @DevC said:
    No @Adethegreen. That is simply untrue.
    There was abuse along the touch line but the worst was in the corner close to the ambulance exit. Indeed I know a number of supporters with season tickets in that area who were deeply embarrassed by what happened and utterly mortified that it was repeated the following season.
    You may deny history if you wish. It doesn’t change what happened

This happened. I saw it, heard it, then heard them boasting of it afterwards.

I also watched the match back afterwards and you can hear it on the commentary.

• Actually, to change tack a little.

My favourite game recently was the 2-3 reverse at Home Park in the play off semi. For all that was riding on the game, for all that we lost, that was the game that brought us back after administration. It brought the club together again. We’d had some bad days since we almost went out of business but that game showed we were back. We’d had 2 seasons of playing our youth and very young pros just starting out but we ended that game going forward.

Apparently you did the camera phones thing yesterday, fair play you were taking the piss but for us it meant more than that one game. Thank you for a glorious defeat, you made our club whole again.

• edited January 2019

Good afternoon @micra yes you’re right we sat back in the second half, I don’t know whether that’s because of Plymouths over the top challenges the ref seemed reluctant to punish or that we mentally we went into defensive mode. How the wrestling move went without a straight red beggars belief .

• Yes DevC that number being 1 other. Fair play but I never heard it.
    Definitely abhorrent behaviour and I can imagine the type that might. Happily, not the type of people I associate with.

• Maths as well as history obviously not your strong point @Adethegreen......
    Let’s leave it there.

• @tommytynan01 said:
    Well the consensus is this morning that next time most people won’t be going, it’s just not worth it, so you can watch your amateur dramatics and cheating in your library in peace. History tells us that clubs with less than 4,000 fans don’t last at this level for long, thank god

@tommytynan01 said:
    You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by Freddie yesterday and went into rivaldo like spasms on the ground clutching his back and screaming. After he got his 4 minutes delay he jumped up grinning and thumbs up to the argyle fans. I’m fact he did the same again later as well as checking his studs at least 100 times and at the end of 1 delay kicking the ball into the other half so the ball boy had to retrieve it to get a few more seconds. At the final whistle ainsworth rushed over to him in congratulations, well done thanks to you the ball was only in play for 20 mins in the 2nd half. You know it was pathetic embarrassing and pretty disgusting and in the long term noone will watch that cheating shite . I won’t go to Sadams park again tho I will be at Peterborough next week where I’m pretty sure I’ll see 90 minutes of entertaining football

For all the time wasting from our keeper you had an extra 7mins at the end and did nothing, address that. Address the issue that if we were still playing now you wouldn't of scored you were outplayed and like you, your deluded twat of a coach keeps going on about time wasting its boring.... the table doesn't lie we are were we are because we a better team on a fraction of pa budget coached by a superior coach who got under your skin and it worked hence why your your still posting on our forum the next day....... coyb

• "Up until the goal I thought we were poor and Wycombe were playing well. That's where the match ended for me. I feel robbed of a fair contest and a full 90 minutes. Wycombe fans can bleat on about sour grapes. It isn't sour grapes. I can accept defeat. I've witnessed our fans applaud victorious opposition off the field this season on a few occasions. Wycombe however are outright cheats. A blight on the sport. Scum. We aren't the only supporters that see it. The rest of the footballing world can't be wrong. I know there will be Wycombe fans reading this. You're [sic] club is a disgrace. I'd even rather support f#cking Exeter than that sh#t you call a football team."

Such melodrama.

• Nothing like a couple of baiters coming to the Gasroom to unite us in defence of the club. Most post match comments in ages.

• There's nothing I like more of a Saturday and Sunday than going on the forum of a team that just beat us and try to make them admit that despite the victory and league position their team is crap. For some reason they don't see it that way so I have to keep going and going and going never getting the last word...and giving myself an angry throbbing headache.

• I wonder if Sky's Michelle Owen (at the game for Soccer Saturday) knew what she was getting into here

Generally good natured responses, until one of our morons comes along with this ?‍♂️...

• Very revealing that none of these Plymouth fans who have so much to say about time wasting won’t address the point about MrAdams’ tactical use of ball boys.

• You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by freddi> @EwanHoosaami said:

@tommytynan01 said:
    You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by Freddie yesterday and went into rivaldo like spasms on the ground clutching his back and screaming. After he got his 4 minutes delay he jumped up grinning and thumbs up to the argyle fans. I’m fact he did the same again later as well as checking his studs at least 100 times and at the end of 1 delay kicking the ball into the other half so the ball boy had to retrieve it to get a few more seconds. At the final whistle ainsworth rushed over to him in congratulations, well done thanks to you the ball was only in play for 20 mins in the 2nd half. You know it was pathetic embarrassing and pretty disgusting and in the long term noone will watch that cheating shite . I won’t go to Sadams park again tho I will be at Peterborough next week where I’m pretty sure I’ll see 90 minutes of entertaining football

Yet again you ignore the same tactics employed by Carey. Your myopia gives you no credibility I'm afraid.

Carey’s a feisty Irish lad an I’ll admit I’ve seen him leave his foot in where he shouldn’t, but trying to compare that with indulging in more than a half a game of systematic cheating, feigning injuries and keeping the ball in play as little as possible is absurd,Carey loves football and if anyone told him to do that he’d quite rightly tell them to do one , the fact that some of your fans think it’s ok shows the lack of respect for the game and yourselves, and especially the youngsters who come to be entertained

• @glasshalffull said:
    Very revealing that none of these Plymouth fans who have so much to say about time wasting won’t address the point about MrAdams’ tactical use of ball boys.

Their silence says it all, Alan.

• @tommytynan01

Graham Carey eh?

Ihttps://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-pilgrims-tried-to-scupper-shephard-s-red-card-appeal-after-stormy-game-with-peterborough-united-1-8456639

If you like, I'll attach a link to the video of your 'feisty Irish lad' rolling around like he's been shot. Once again, Plymouth hypocrisy.

Just out of interest I see your username lauds a player whose career included attacking a teammate with a kettle. How do you explain that to the kids you so clearly care about?

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    @tommytynan01

Graham Carey eh?

Ihttps://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/latest-news-pilgrims-tried-to-scupper-shephard-s-red-card-appeal-after-stormy-game-with-peterborough-united-1-8456639

If you like, I'll attach a link to the video of your 'feisty Irish lad' rolling around like he's been shot. Once again, Plymouth hypocrisy.

Just out of interest I see your username lauds a player whose career included attacking a teammate with a kettle. How do you explain that to the kids you so clearly care about?

You have to go and spoil it all with evidence don’t you!

• I remember when my son and I went down early for the playoff game to take the time to wander around the local historic sites. His grandfather grew up in the town and I thought it would be nice for him to see some of the sites his grandfather had often described. He was 8 at the time and whilst we enjoyed some naval curiosities, his abiding memory is of that of an old man leaning out of a speeding car screaming ‘Wycombe C&!t’ in the middle of the afternoon.

• At him I might add. I wasn’t in colours.