Skip to content

Andrew Howard + Shirt Speculation

Comments

• @WanderingDays said:
    It was brilliant. I much preferred the brighter colours to our dull metallic playoff season shirts, and the narrow stripes were a classy addition. Why don't you like it?

I am with you on the kit, @WanderingDays - I thought it was a thing of beauty. I can see why it would be divisive though, as it strays quite far from a traditional look. It's the sort of thing people either love or despise. It will be interesting to see how people view it ten years from now, especially given the success we had in it.

• edited June 2018

Any odds on announcing JJ re-signing at the 7 July kit launch event?

• Given the amount of complaints in the past about new Wycombe kits not being the correct Oxford and Cambridge blues, it would be a bit unfortunate if O'Neills tried to oblige us and ended up producing a kit using the green Cambridge Blue.

Has that green shade ever been used in kits in the past? The circa 1993 shirt maybe?

• The start of this thread did relate to Andrew Howard and his football club related activities and each time I saw that there were “20 new” comments (or thereabouts) I thought “wow, what’s he up to now to warrant so much interest/controversy”, only to discover that we have strayed into the realms of defining shades of blue. Still, if it means that Andrew is still committed to making his vitally important contribution to the running of the football club, I for one will be very pleased.

• @Chris said:
    Any odds on announcing JJ re-signing at the 7 July kit launch event?

Surely unlikely? By then he'd have been out of contract for a week and no doubt doing his tour of whichever League 2 clubs he fancies. Plus, it wouldn't exactly have the "glamour" of a new signing unveil.

• Didn't buy last years kit, first time in many many years I didnt but it did nothing for me. Would love a classic v neck, keep it simple and ensure a strong brand presence as we storm league 1.

• @Last_Quarter assuming he’s signed already and they are just waiting to announce it. I agree it doesn’t quite have the same excitement factor as a marquee signing, but JJ extending his contract would be better news than almost any realistic potential player who we could bring in.

• Surely it's more likely that Cherry Red will move to the front of the (red) away shirts, while Utilita moves to sponsor the home shirt.

• edited June 2018

It'd be quite a delay if JJ has signed, to delay announcing it for 2-3 weeks!

ps That shirt definitely looks a different tone in the "sneak preview" clip

• Likely in a common sense world with an experienced hand at the wheel yes ,but not happening . It’s all been very slapdash and reactive this time around. Sponsors are paying the same or less to remain (with the exception of cherry red who paid about a 35% increase to move to the front of home shirt ) and are being given more because we have lots of unsold areas. Watch for These same pool Of sponsors pop up elsewhere at Adams Park in a prominent positions before season starts as further sweeteners.

• Here's something to cheer you up. Perhaps a reminder that the people running our club aren't completely clueless.

• Gareth and Richard are absolutely the best in the business in my view and what they have created is truly brilliant. Andrew Howard has signed the players they wanted at the time they wanted and it’s been a mega result he’s as much to thank in my opinion.

It also has nothing to do with the day to day operation and running of the rest of the remit the board has.

• Can’t really make sense of your last paragraph but I’m glad to hear you don’t think it’s all slapdash, reactive and with no common sense or experience.

• Sorry I wasn’t clear enough Floyd,you put up a video of our incredible football results,presumably in an attempt to paint my concerns around the business area of our club as being overly critical and misplaced when quite clearly I’m raising issues around corporate and commercial management and nothing to do with the football which is silo’d At our club and managed brilliantly by GA and AH

I appreciate you trying however until we have people the equivalent of GA and AH running the significant and incredibly important off-pitch side of our club getting results in that sector with the same growth and improvement, I’ll remain concerned.

I may be accused of being troublesome however isn’t it prudent to have trust members and supporters as passionate about the off-pitch battles and future our club faces as our football fortunes?

• led.

• Any chance of an ‘almost, but not quite football’ category @drcongo?

I know @marlowchair means well but I did doze off in the sun reading it and got burnt

• @StrongestTeam said:
    The speculation on here is as pointless as it is ridiculous, I'd wager you have no idea of what has been agreed and even less idea of the process that lead to it.

I’ll take that wager, proof will be in the next few weeks ?

• Perhaps @marlowchair if you’ve access to private information it should remain that way!

• edited June 2018

The chap can't win can he!
    Called out for having "no idea", then if he shows he actually does have quite some idea indeed, he's swiftly admonished.

• Knowing things is always dangerous in the Gasroom.

• Good news for certain posters...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Knowing things is always dangerous in the Gasroom.

I've heard that's why Richie has gone missing supposedly on Putin's hit list!

• @mooneyman I assumed our resident purveyor of insider knowledge was on his holidays...but you're right...it seems too long. Anyone had a ransom note?

• If he has access to sensitive information, he really should know better than to post it on the Gasroom. if he's just making things up to make a splash then, well, welcome to the internet.

• people care for our club and have an interest in things like the performance of our business.You might ask what’s more harmful potentially,speculating or real information?

Obviously only time will tell if what I say bears any truth and I understand your scepticism totally.

• I take the point that Andrew Howard is not perfect, I've never met somebody who is, but I'm less sure that you've offered any practical alternatives yourself, or because of your anonymity are necessarily a credible critic other than in the broadest terms. very hard to see the end-game and consequently very hard to see the justification for the criticism and innuendo that is being spread.

• @marlowchair said:
    people care for our club and have an interest in things like the performance of our business.You might ask what’s more harmful potentially,speculating or real information?

I'm of the opinion that real information, needlessly shared, is the most potentially harmful. With @Baldric i have a hard time working out what your motivation is.

• @Baldric said:
    I take the point that Andrew Howard is not perfect, I've never met somebody who is, but I'm less sure that you've offered any practical alternatives yourself, or because of your anonymity are necessarily a credible critic other than in the broadest terms. very hard to see the end-game and consequently very hard to see the justification for the criticism and innuendo that is being spread.

If this is directed at me Baldric I think you are mistaken , I’ve not been critical of Mr Howard at all? In fact I’m a big fan of his influence and work as I have said in topic.

• @floyd said:

@marlowchair said:
    people care for our club and have an interest in things like the performance of our business.You might ask what’s more harmful potentially,speculating or real information?

I'm of the opinion that real information, needlessly shared, is the most potentially harmful. With @Baldric i have a hard time working out what your motivation is.

The same as anyone’s on here, to discuss,gossip,speculate,chat,inform, and enjoy being an owner of a trust owned club.

If I saw JJ walking out of costa Marlow with GA smiling and holding a signed contract and said that on here you wouldn’t question my motives or take issue I guess ? But I pass on what I know about the new kit sponsor deal and you do question my motives.

• @floyd said:

I find this philosophy quite distasteful. This isn't Erdogan's Turkey or Honecker's GDR. You may not wish to hold power to account or question authority but others do - and their motivation is pretty simple: sunlight is the best form of disinfectant.

Transparency helps prevent mistakes being made and allows us to question our leaders and change them if they're no good. I really dislike this view that just because the club is supporter-owned we must look the other way to what goes on behind the scenes and just trust its being done as well as it could be. Not me, sir.

Just out of interest, were you of the view that the real information about Steve Hayes' plans for a new stadium was "needlessly shared" on fan forums as well?