Skip to content

Andrew Howard + Shirt Speculation

Comments

• Perhaps prepping us for the new home sponsor too? We could do worse, especially as their logo is not too invasive.

• Looks like @Shev may have been right on the Utilita story "prepping us for the new home sponsor". News story about the upcoming kit launch (7th July) on the club website shows players wearing the Utilita sponsored away shirts, whilst very strongly referring in the first sentence to launch of the new home kit.

• No but he’s close.At a recent board meeting it was revealed no new sponsor had been found to replace Beechdean but a shift of one of the other secondary sponsors to the front of the home has been negotiated.

The approval of the home kit design and the process and lack of input or control the elected trust board members have over such an integral part of our clubs character is also an issue for more of the board members than the chair cares to realise, but they daren’t speak up

• The elected Trust board members should speak up about anything they feel may not be in the best interests of the club and its supporters: it's what they have been elected to do.

If they don't feel they can "dare" to challenge the Chair on what they believe to be an important matter then they should resign and let somebody who will be willing to speak up have the chance to be elected in their place.

• @marlowchair who decides the home kit design then?

Surely this can be done by the fans, or Trust members, plus the players and staff getting a vote?

• @Uncle_T said:
    The elected Trust board members should speak up about anything they feel may not be in the best interests of the club and its supporters: it's what they have been elected to do.

If they don't feel they can "dare" to challenge the Chair on what they believe to be an important matter then they should resign and let somebody who will be willing to speak up have the chance to be elected in their place.

Yes I agree with that but its not that simple sadly

• edited June 2018

@marlowchair said:
    No but he’s close.At a recent board meeting it was revealed no new sponsor had been found to replace Beechdean but a shift of one of the other secondary sponsors to the front of the home has been negotiated.

The approval of the home kit design and the process and lack of input or control the elected trust board members have over such an integral part of our clubs character is also an issue for more of the board members than the chair cares to realise, but they daren’t speak up

I'm not sure i understand what you're getting at. The information shared in your first para is perhaps unfortunate but not controversial or disastrous. It's not even that surprising.

As for your second paragraph, do we expect board members to be involved in designing a new home kit? Wycombe Wanderers home kits don't need designing do they? Oxford and Cambridge quarters, stick the sponsor on the front, take the rest of the day off. Surely we only need their involvement if O'Neils propose something in the wrong colour or design.

• The Trust constitution provides for Trust members to vote on any proposal that the main kit doesn't involve the "quarters", as I recall.

• @floyd said:

@marlowchair said:
    No but he’s close.At a recent board meeting it was revealed no new sponsor had been found to replace Beechdean but a shift of one of the other secondary sponsors to the front of the home has been negotiated.

I'm not sure i understand what you're getting at. The information shared in your first para is perhaps unfortunate but not controversial or disastrous. It's not even that surprising.

As for your second paragraph, do we expect board members to be involved in designing a new home kit? Wycombe Wanderers home kits don't need designing do they? Oxford and Cambridge quarters, stick the sponsor on the front, take the rest of the day off. Surely we only need their involvement if O'Neils propose something in the wrong colour or design.

I'm no saying the information is overly controversial or surprising? I was replying to a previous poster who suggested a recent article on the website hinted at Utilita being the new sponsor that's all.

you're being a bit thin skinned if you think that's infering controversy Floyd but that's understandable ;)

I personally don't expect board members to be involved in designing anything, it's not their job. But you may remember a decent portion of our membership fedback negatively when the most recent home kit was launched, and there was discussion around a supporter trust owned club having options, input or a say in their shirt design.

It won't be a problem if the design is great will it? but if the design is marmite, or worse, the discussion will raise up again no doubt. You seem to assume there will be no significant diversion in design from colour and no additions to the design such as large watermarking etc. If only it was that simple we could never get a kit wrong, but history shows there are many variations on quarters that can provide popular, or not popular kits over the years for our supporters.

• Thanks @marlowchair, perhaps my years on the Gasroom have made me overly cynical. Coupled with your comments about the board standing up to the chairman in your next para you can forgive me for thinking you weren’t trying to paint them in the most positive light.

As for the home kit, as @Wig_and_Pen points out, any major change has to be approved by the trust. The last two home kits haven’t been great, but they’ve been light and dark blue quarters, which is the important thing. I’m not sure I trust Wycombe Wanderers fans at large to do a better job!

• I totally agree, these things can't be decided on " by committee" and require commercial and design talent that professionals should apply!

The Trust Board issue is on-going and a political matter. Stability is important and we have enjoyed the rewards of that stability over the past few years. But to retain stability a dictorial approach that discourages the questioning of decision making and independent views is often required. Everyone who stands for the trust board elections is called anc approached by the Chairman or his supporters, vetted, and then they decide who they will be supporting in the election. That's politics, but it stands to reason that anyone who nominates to run who has strong alternate views or seeks to question the incumbants handling of things will not get much support and probably won't be elected.

Those who are on the board who have a strong alternate view are not encouraged to voice it.

• @marlowchair I suppose it’s a consequence of having so few people bothering to vote. And to be honest I rarely vote against an incumbent unless I have a particular reason to, as you say we need experience and stability.

As for those with ‘strong alternate views,’ I’d suggest they can’t be that strongly held if they’re afraid to voice them. Easy to say this in the warm glow of promotion I know, but they seem to have found a good balance between the pragmatic and the ideal.

• Maybe we could try and get bright house to sponser use maybe get a loan too lol

• Or seriously what about verco like we used to have?

• edited June 2018

@marlowchair said:
    You seem to assume there will be no significant diversion in design from colour and no additions to the design such as large watermarking etc.

If the rumours I heard at the end of last season are correct, prepare for a large watermarked swan across the front of next year's home kit...

• Let’s hope not last quarter....A significant colour change (in terms of shades not dark and light blue) is also rumoured to be in the cards

• I expect something relatively exotic or eye-catching, owing to us being Oneills only league club (and therefore, an ad for their services), and their styles being rather different to begin with.

• @marlowchair said:
    Let’s hope not last quarter....A significant colour change (in terms of shades not dark and light blue) is also rumoured to be in the cards

Rumoured by who @marlowchair? Not doubting the veracity of your statement, just interested.

• @Ned_Ludd said:

@marlowchair said:
    Let’s hope not last quarter....A significant colour change (in terms of shades not dark and light blue) is also rumoured to be in the cards

Rumoured by who @marlowchair? Not doubting the veracity of your statement, just interested.

Why not ask Last Quarters the same question Ned?

One person closely involved with the process had a great chit chat with our table at the end of year awards, understandably it was a celebratory mood but one could be forgiven it was already launched such was the openness around the discussion

• @Last_Quarter said:

@marlowchair said:
    You seem to assume there will be no significant diversion in design from colour and no additions to the design such as large watermarking etc.

If the rumours I heard at the end of last season are correct, prepare for a large watermarked swan across the front of next year's home kit...

Rumoured by who @Last_Quarter ? @Ned_Ludd doesn’t doubt the veracity , he is just interested ...?

• Now I’m worried this is going to look awful.

• Thanks for the answer @marlowchair. It was a genuine question, no need to be so thin-skinned.

• Not thin skinned just cogniscant of potential witch hunts . Apologies ned.

• edited June 2018

@marlowchair Not a problem.

By way of an explanation, I've used O'Neills a fair amount over the last few years for gaelic games (hurling and football) kits. Whilst they can be pretty idiosyncratic in some of the 'extras' they look to add to their jerseys, they are usually quite traditional when it comes to colours - sticking with the club's requirements rather than offering something unsuitable. If we've moved a few shades of light and dark blue (or worse) away from the norm, it almost certainly won't be O'Neills forcing the issue.

Hopefully, that clarifies the reason for the question.

• @marlowchair No problem.

By way of an explanation, I have used O'Neills a fair bit over recent years for gaelic games (hurling and football) kits. Whilst they can be pretty idiosyncratic with the extras they look to add to the jerseys, they are usually traditional when it comes to colours, sticking with the requirements of the club rather than offering something 'different'. If we've moved a couple of shades of light and dark blue (or worse) away from the norm, it almost certainly won't be down to O'Neills forcing the issue.

• I'm hoping we're moving back to the actual light and dark blues, rather than the rather sickly ones on last year's home kit.

• I had the same thought, a change of shade may not be a bad thing. To be closer to what we should be the dark blue needs to be much darker, and the light much lighter.

• I think the Cambridge blue wasn't far off at all last as season

But how do you get navy blue wrong?

• The current Navy is rather purple navy to my eyes I agree

• Baz didn't design it did he?