Skip to content

Andrew Howard + Shirt Speculation

Comments

• The most recent home kit wasn't great any way you look at it. Hopefully the new one will look like it didn't have five different ideas rolled into one.

Given the approach to the design and launch of the GK kits last summer i wouldn't surprised to see a huge swan on the front on the new home shirt.

• I always thought the colours should be Oxford Blue and Cambridge Blue but these have no exact definition. Maybe we should be specifying the RGB values not using these imprecise termswhich are open to interpretation.

• @marlowchair said:

Rumoured by who @Last_Quarter ? @Ned_Ludd doesn’t doubt the veracity , he is just interested ...?

It came from someone who claimed to know the kit designer at O'Neills. Given they've included watermarks on our kit before, and the point @floyd makes above about them favouring off-the-wall designs, it seemed like it could be believable. I can't verify myself though...

• @Twizz Don't colours have a specific hue or hex code? There should be a particular shade of blue that is 'officially' Oxford/Cambridge blue.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @Twizz Don't colours have a specific hue or hex code? There should be a particular shade of blue that is 'officially' Oxford/Cambridge blue.

Oxford Blue: #002147
    Cambridge Blue: #A3C1AD

Oxford seems darker than I remember on any kits.

• edited June 2018

I tried to post an image but failed miserably

Anyway, the first Brooks kit we wore when we moved to Adams Park was pretty much spot on. The '91 FA trophy kit

• Reproduced from here.

For reference, Cambridge University actually provides a useful colour palette page - https://www.cam.ac.uk/brand-resources/guidelines/typography-and-colour/colour-palette . The one that's actually blue on there (in the light palette) is the one most people associate with Cambridge as it's the one used in their brand identity. The one that's green on there is the "sporting blue" as used by the rowers and the egg chasers. Here's your full history of the sporting blue:

https://www.hawksclub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/origins_of_the_cambridge_blue.pdf

So, the short version of this, is that the "correct" light blue for a Wycombe shirt is Pantone 284, which is RGB 108, 172, 228 or hex #6cace4

However, whoever made the graphic for the Cambridge University website wasn't very careful with their colour reproduction. So here, definitively, is the correct blue (assuming you have a properly calibrated screen with a 2.2 gamma and a D65 white point, quartered with the correct Oxford blue (hex #002147)...

• good work @drcongo, thank you.

• Club have released a teaser video which is, er, interesting... https://t.co/DbGQyEAguQ

• Cheers @drcongo. I had googled Cambridge Blue and thought it looked far too green to be the right colour. That explains a lot.

• Thanks @Ned_Ludd. The colours look right at least...

• There's a current GAA jersey which has the effect that appears to be used on the new shirt, albeit with a single colour. Might give a better idea of how it'll look...

https://www.oneills.com/uk_en/tipperary-home-jersey-2017.html

• Not sure about that @floyd - running a colour meter over it suggests roughly equal levels of blue and green in what's supposed to be the Cambridge blue - about 1% gain in the blue channel. If the colour reproduction in that video is correct, this will be the greenest kit we've ever had.

• In fact, in other parts of the video, there's a significant gain in the green channel. This is an unedited crop from the video:

Averaged, it's Red: 160, Green: 192, Blue: 173

In other words, it's green.

• Maybe I need to watch it again on something other than my iPhone, but your sample looks about right to me.

• If you get a chance, @drcongo could you compare that green to the colour that is the upper portion of the lighter quarter of the play-off season shirt? (link below). That looked green-ish to my (admittedly poor) eyes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32569649

• Oxford always take the piss out of Cambridge blue for not actually being blue.

I think last season's kit was the best I've seen though. Not sure about the hate its getting?

• I like the look of it, but what is all this business about a swan?

• @Ned_Ludd There's not really enough in that picture to get a good idea, though I seem to remember that shirt as being the closest to the correct light blue that we've had for a while.

• @drcongo No worries. Thanks for taking a look.

• Last season's kit the best you've seen????

Jesus Christ

• @eric_plant said:
    Last season's kit the best you've seen????

Jesus Christ

It was brilliant. I much preferred the brighter colours to our dull metallic playoff season shirts, and the narrow stripes were a classy addition. Why don't you like it?

• Is it me or is ther a denim effect to the new kit?

• @WelwynWanderer if you follow the link to the o’neills website @Ned_Ludd provided you get a much better idea. More of an aero fiber.

• I have to admit I was playing devil's advocate earlier - I just knew that someone would actually come up with the RAL, Pantone or RGB values.
    Hopefully the new kit will at least please some of the fans, whatever the colour/design is.

• @Uncle_T said:
    Looks like @Shev may have been right on the Utilita story "prepping us for the new home sponsor". News story about the upcoming kit launch (7th July) on the club website shows players wearing the Utilita sponsored away shirts, whilst very strongly referring in the first sentence to launch of the new home kit.

Today’s announcement of Bmi health renewing but being given the rear of shorts and rear of away kit as good as confirms the incumbent for those positions Cherry Red are being shuffled into the front of home to replace Beechdean.

Disappointing on the basis we’ve enjoyed new investment by way of kit sponsors in recent years and that we appear to have gone backwards when we’d hope to capitalise on promotion or at worse retain the same value

• Cherry Red sponsoring Quartered Blue? Now that will look strange!

• It will be interesting to see how we integrate the logo in the design Shev

• @marlowchair - personally, I would prefer the white wordmark without the red background, if possible! To me, a big red box in the middle of the shirt is likely to be an eyesore, unfortunately.

• edited June 2018

@WanderingDays said:
    It was brilliant. I much preferred the brighter colours to our dull metallic playoff season shirts, and the narrow stripes were a classy addition. Why don't you like it?

I am with you on the kit, @WanderingDays - I thought it was a thing of beauty. I can see why it would be divisive, though - it's the sort of thing people either love or hate, as it strays quite far from a traditional look. It will be interesting to see how people view it in retrospect, ten years from now.