Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers Women

Comments

• edited September 2022

U18s match report from Saturday.

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/september/20/young-chairgirls-shine-200922/

It was a 2-2 draw but the Cup table on https://juniorpremierleague.com/tables/ shows the result as a 2-0 win for XL, confirmed on the Results page. Select "JPL Warriors" in the League drop-down, and "Warriors U17/18 Group 2" in the Division.

The site frequently becomes unavailable when using it, it does not appear to have much capacity, and is not well designed. When using it on Android, some of the drop-downs do not work, unless you run it with the "desktop site" option.

According to the fixtures page on the site, the U18s are away to Ipswich this Saturday, but the match report says they are at home.

• Brilliant news. Hope they get a really decent crowd and get to play some more games there this season

• Tomorrow, in the JPL Cup, the U18s were due to host Ipswich Town in the Community, but Town have pulled out.

On Sunday, the Firsts play their first competitive game at Burnham, against Eastleigh in the Community in the league. Eastleigh lost their only game this season, 3-2 at home to Oxford City last week. Kick-off 2pm at The 1878 Stadium, SL1 8JG.

Also on Sunday, the Reserves travel to Easington Sports, who won their only game so far, 3-1 at home to Goring United. Kick-off 2pm at Addison Rd, Banbury OX16 9DH.

• By the way, dogs are allowed at The 1878 Stadium but must be kept on the lead at all times.

• FT Firsts 0-1 Eastleigh.

An 80' goal, the Chairgirls had a 90+1' equaliser disallowed for offside.

• FT Easington Sports 0-2 Reserves.

• Firsts league table: https://bit.ly/3StvcGA

Reserves league table: https://bit.ly/3CaWWKA

The hyperlinks I created last season don't work on the new Gasroom, so using a URL shortening service for now.

• In the Berks & Bucks U18s Girls' Cup, the Chairgirls have been drawn away to Sandhurst Town in the Quarter-Final. Match to be played on 15 October, which is when they were due to travel to Worthing Town in the JPL. The county cup usually take precedence at this level.

The B & B Senior Cup draw has not been released yet.

• A look ahead to the Firsts's FA Cup game on Sunday. From the match report for the defeat last week, Carl Simon's frustration with the officiating is very clear, culminating in the Eastleigh lino ruling out what was apparently a perfectly good equliser in added time. Even though this is step 5, linos are supplied by the clubs and, having run the line for many years for my clubs, I know how hard it is to remain fair and impartial at all times. That will not happen in the FA Cup as all officials are normally supplied by the FA.

It is a strange coincidence that the 2QR game against Sport London e Benfica is a repeat of the same tie at this stage last season, when the Chairgirls won 3-0 at Flackwell. This weekend's match is being promoted as the first competitive match the Chairgirls have played at Adams Park. True for the Seniors but the U18s won the Berks and Berks Cup at AP in May 2019. None of the players in that 5-1 win over Caversham are still with the club.

Sport London had a comfortable 6-1 win at Buckingham United in the last round, five of the goals scored by Kimberly Castro. Last season was their first at step 6, finishing seventh out of ninth in the London & South East Regional Division 1 North. This season they have had a mixed start, two wins and two defeats from their four games, but that includes a remarkable 3-2 home win against Dorking Wanderers last Sunday, with two goals for Renata Ferreira. Prior to that Dorking had won all three of their league games, scoring 23 goals.

A step 6 London league is probably about the same standard as the Southern Region step 5, so this will be a close match to call. The prize money of £3000 for the winners adds a certain pressure, that kind of money goes a long way at this level, with the losers getting £750.

I hope a fair few turn out to support the Chairgirls, 200+ paying would be good. A big crowd increases the chances of another match at Adams Park this season. Incidentally, if you have an upper car park pass, it is not valid for this match.

• Tomorrow the U18s were meant to be starting in the JPL, against Ipswich Town at home. After Ipswich's no show in the league cup last weekend, I see that they no longer appear in the JPL fixtures, they appear to have withdrawn completely from the JPL.

Instead the Chairgirls host AFC Stoneham on Saturday in the league at Burnham, SL1 8JG, kick-off 10:30.

The Reserves have no game on Sunday. They were scheduled to play Stonesfield at home but it has been postponed.

• FT U18s 1-1 AFC Stoneham. Molly Carter scored.

• @Steve_Peart am i losing my mind? I remember watching a women's game at AP in the late 90s or early 2000s? Have i imagined that?

• @floyd, we have had several England women's internationals at Adams Park but I can only remember the Chairgirls playing that one B&B game in 2019. I may not be remembering correctly.

• A reminder that kick-off is 2pm today at Adams Park, for the FA Cup game against Sport London e Benfica.

Tickets are £5 for adults and £2.50 for 16 and under, available here: https://tickets.wwfc.com/buy/londonebenfica. They can also be bought at the ground.

Upper car parking is available for £5 from here: https://tickets.wwfc.com/buy/londonebenficaupper

Phil previewed the game with some of the players: https://twitter.com/WWFCWomen/status/1576311871229108230?s=20&t=NUxz9xMuxAsK925zwLesGw

I'm looking forward to it, it should be a great day for the club, get down if you can!

• I know this sounds an awful thing to say on a Sunday morning... but will the bar be open ?

• Some trivia courtesy of Gasman on chairboys.co.uk, in a review of the 2000-01 season.

"The Wanderers' Ladies are strictly amateur, do not have a shirt sponsor and rely on donations to fund their matchday expenses. However, there was an unexpected bonus last season when they picked up a complimentary second kit after some of the team appeared on a TV advert for washing powder with Julian Clary."

Here is that advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a8LPvFX73M

• 10', WW 1-0 Benfica, Chante Inniss cut inside into penalty area and slotted home.

• I must have imagined it. Or perhaps it was an open day/exhibition event.

• 31', WW 2-0 Benfica, Honor Cantrell scored after one on one with keeper, who got a hand to the ball but not enough to keep it out. Wonderful defence splitting assist from Phillippa Humphrey.

• HT 2-0, a very good half from the Chairgirls who have had most of the ball.

Inniss on the left wing and Cantrell on the right are causing a lot of problems. Benfica, however, are dangerous on the break, they have a very fast striker, and they have hit the bar.

Wycombe keeper Emily Strange, deputising for Sophie Cheadle, made a very fine save in a one on one. The Benfica keeper also made an excellent save with Katie Riddington clean through. About 300 here enjoying an entertaining game.

• 53', 2-1,long range free kick, just too high for Strange to keep out.

• 72' 2-2, long free kick finds striker unmarked, who heads into far corner. A minute later Benfica hit the post.

• 74', 3-2, superb long range shot from Esmee Sword.

• Chairgirls playing the last six minutes down to 10, after Kern goes off injured. Two subs have been used, five named, maybe only two can be used.

• FT, WW 3-2 Benfica. A nerve wracking last 10 minutes as the visitors should have equalised on several occasions. Overall a deserved victory but the game should have been put to bed when the Chairgirls dominated for most of the second half. £3000 won, £4000 up for grabs in the next round.

• edited October 2022

A very entertaining afternoon out, in the sunshine, and a good atmosphere in the Origin Stand.

• Cracking cup tie in the Adams Park sunshine.

The Benfica number 11 was very good I thought