Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers Women

Comments

• The Firsts lost 3-2 to QPR Reserves, goals from Chante Inniss and Sally Grimm.

• The Firsts have another friendly on Sunday, home to Oxford United Women U23s. Kick-off 2pm at Bucks College Group, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath HP10 9HE.

• FT Firsts 0-2 Oxford United U23s. HT 0-1.

• The U18s have a home friendly against Abbeymead Vipers on Saturday, kick-off 11am at Lane End Playing Fields, HP14 3JU.

Abingdon Town U18s are now top of the league, after being awarded three walkover wins. They are six points clear of the Chairgirls, with one game still to play.

The Firsts are trying to arrange a friendly on Sunday.

• The U18s Abbeymead match today was cancelled.

The Firsts play Actonians in a friendly tomorrow, 2pm at Bucks College Group, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath HP10 9HE.

• Some good news for the Firsts, they finished third from bottom, one point above Oxford City whose two remaining fixtures, previously postponed, have been awarded to their opponents.

The Chairgirls will almost certainly be safe from relegation, in fact City may be as well. The league has nine teams, has previously been ten, so only Woodley may be relegated. In Division One South, champions AFC Bournemouth Development and Bournemouth Sports are in line for promotion, further adding to some long away trips for the Chairgirls.

Premier Division champions Moneyfields are promoted to the National League Division One South West, where only bottom club Poole Town, just one point all season, are shown in a relegation spot. They could go into the South West Regional Premier, it's not clear yet which team will drop into the Southern Regional Premier.

The U18s finished nine points behind Abingdon Town, who won 20 out of 20.

Tables:

Firsts
    Reserves
    U18s

• The U18s have a friendly on Sunday, not sure if it is post or pre-season, but they take on GB Maccabiah at Burnham FC, Wymers Wood Road, Burnham SL1 8JG, kick-off 2pm.

It is at Burnham FC because, as announced at the Trust meeting on Wednesday, a deal has been made to allow all three teams to play there next season. Despite being 10 miles from Wycombe, this is welcome news, admission will be free and the teams will be playing at a smart new stadium with a 3G pitch. Spectators will have covered seats and standing, and a bar and toilets!

• I've always known Burnham's ground to be called The Gore but it appears to have been rebranded to The 1878 Stadium. Doesn't sound like a commercial decision...I wonder why the need for change.

• Harry, I think the teams needed better facilities, the 3G pitch would be attractive, it's what the Seniors are used to, and I think the grass pitch at Lane End was heavy in winter for the Reserves and U18s. The Seniors need a better stadium to meet the grading requirements for the National League. That may seem ambitious after last season but Head Coach Carl Simon said, in a Wycombe Sound interview, that promotion to the National League was a 'bare minimum'.

It's good for spectators, to have decent facilities. I stopped going to Flackwell last season, a two hour round trip for me, with no cover, poor sight lines, no bar or toilets, and it's pretty bleak on top of that hill in winter, when the wind blows. It's even further to Burnham but I will get there this season.

• Yes, I understand all of that @Steve_Peart. The 'need for change' I referred to was regarding the ground's name. I remember visiting The Gore on several occasions and thought it a unique name for a ground so wondered why someone at Burnham thought changing the name to 'The 1878 Stadium' was a good idea.

• The Gore is a historic name but I can only guess that asking their function room customers to come to a place with a slightly unattractive meaning was behind it.

The club mention in their history that they are the second oldest football club in Bucks, and are clearly proud of that, so I suppose it was an obvious choice to emphasise their long tradition.

• Correction to that U18s kick-off time tomorrow, it's 1:30pm.

• FT U18s 1-5 GB Maccabiah.

• edited June 2022

The U18s will be playing in the JPL Warriors (Junior Premier League) next season. More details here:

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/june/24/chairgirls-under-18s-join-jpl-warriors/

https://www.juniorpremierleague.com/chairgirls-join-the-warriors/

It's not clear yet which division they will be in but, U18 JPL London lists clubs our way such as Beaconsfield Town, Bracknell Town and MK.

• This week the Seniors have been announcing player news. Retained for next season are Katie Hudson (capt.), Emma Kern, Kara Howes, Chante Inniss, Emma Newberry, Amy Leach, Bobby Lynch and Sarah Harrison.

There are three new players signed on so far.

Shauna Smith joins from AFC Dunstable, with previous experience at Watford Ladies and EDSV Academy.

Katie Riddington was top scorer for Watford Ladies Development last season, 13 goals from 12 games, in the London & SE Regional Division One North.

Kine Andersen is a midfielder from Norway, where she played for Hinna FK, and is currently studying to be a Physiotherapist at Brunel University.

• Let's use the spiffing new functionality and upload their photos!

• Congratulations to Reserves player Eve Savage!

• edited June 2022

Carl Simon comes across really well in that interview on the club website. Sounds like real positive things are happening for WWFCW!

• He does @YorkshireBlue, he is clearly ambitious and has plenty of enthusiasm. He needs sponsors to take the financial pressure off the players and, with an open door policy, he needs budding players to come down to the Rye, 7-9pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for training.

Link here to the interview with @bluntphil, it's free to watch: ttps://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/june/24/meet-carl-simon/

• might be good for the Gasroom to sponsor a coach to pay their out of pocket expenses?

• Visited the refurbished Burnham FC today & was very impressed. A great blueprint moving forward for the likes of Flackwell Heath & Holmer Green.

• Holmer Green will never be able to have anything as big as that, not enough money, plus it's not just a football club, it's a sports club, the cricket club, squash, tennis and bowls all get a say in what happens as much as the football

• FT in the friendly today, Enfield Town 6-1 Chairgirls (combined squad).

• If you know anyone who would like to sponsor one of the players please let me know. Bespoke corporate sponsorship packages also available.

• This does seem expensive to me, compared to the men's sponsorship at £580 for the home shirt and £480 for the away shirt. Both of those packages include eight tickets to a home game, two tickets to the sponsors dinner, and receipt of the player's shirt at the end of the season.

I thought entry to the women's games is free this season, unless I misheard at the Trust meeting, so I am not clear what the season ticket covers.

I would be prepared to contribute to a joint Gasroom sponsorship, if others are interested.

• Happy to chip in if someone does a gofundme , it's a donation, couldn't care less if it's uncompetitive, unlikely to personally take any of the benefits.