Skip to content

We must sign Dave Tarpey now!

Comments

• @Username Not that big a leap if you believe gypo to be a racial slur intended to cause offence. But as we only got the 'I merely suggested his performance was below par' side of the story we'll never know will we?

• @Username Do you honestly believe that suited and booted, stopping at a cashpoint before heading back to adams park for an end of season do, even if someone shouted 'you were fucking crap today' and flipped AP the bird, a footballer used to getting shouted at and booed by crowds, would not just shrug it off and head to his party, but get out of his car, confront the shouter and lay on the nut for good measure? You see, I don't. Perhaps they called him a gypsy ****? Which is not so bad is it?

• @Wendoverman , i'd say the settings are a lot different.
    In a ground, yes Pierre might be used to getting loads of goons shouting at him.

But outside the ground, steamed up after a poor result, someone personally gets in his face? I'm not surprised someone might snap.

• edited September 2017

I can fully believe a pissed off footballer losing his temper if someone shouted abuse at them outside the ground. I heard 3 separate accounts of what happened and they all matched up with what the lad said happened in his post on here, minus a few expletives.

I'm only speaking personally, but i'd not blink if I heard someone call someone else a gypo, but would be hugely pissed off/ surprised if they used the language you're inferring, and if I'd heard that had happened at Tesco I'd have no problem sharing that. This messageboard seems desperate to exaggerate actions/ insinuate worse crimes have been committed by the "yoof", it's strange.

• Anyway, back on topic, I hope Tarpey smashes in the goals for Barnet, against everyone apart from us of course. Might put money on him to be top scorer.

• If their public behavior matches their conduct on social media, not much exaggeration or insinuation is needed.

• I'm not desperate to exaggerate or insinuate anything matey...I don't go on der Facebook and only usually react to what people post on here. I've seen morons of all ages and do not believe for one second the 'yoof' have a monopoly on twattish behavior. I would, however, blink if I heard someone using gypo as an insult, I would blink if someone called GA a ****ing gypsy **** but I suppose that's a personal thing. Before he deleted the twitter posts, Mr Clift was on here robustly defending them...but at some point he obviously decided it was unwise and did what I would consider the right thing. If three of Mr Stokes mates/independent witnesses saw and heard the same thing on the day that should be good enough for everyone I suppose.

• Back on topic...I think he went for the money

• "I heard 3 separate accounts of what happened and they all matched up with what the lad said happened in his post on here, minus a few expletives."

That's part of the problem for me. If Stokes had been man enough to admit "I called him a ****ing ****" or "I said he played ****ing ****" then fair enough. It's the fact he's claimed (on at least two separate occasions) he only said; 'I think you had a pretty awful game' that I find his account untrustworthy. Really? That's all you said to him and that made him so overcome with rage he headbutted you? Sorry, don't believe you mate.

He also neglected to mention 'flipping the bird' when first posting his defence on here and only admitted that when pressed on it. I'd be more inclined to credit him with some integrity if he'd just be honest, preferably from the word go, without having to have the truth forced out from him in fits and starts.

Perhaps it doesn't do well to bring this whole nasty business up again, but if Stokes and some of his mates are continuing to be antisocial and abusive at games and online then this incident is a relevant part of a serious ongoing problem at WW.

As I've said before, nothing wrong with having a few beers, singing a few songs and saying a few naughty words at the football, but your enjoyment of the game shouldn't come at the expense of the enjoyment of your fellow supporters. Sadly, some (not all) of this group not only don't care about upsetting fellow fans, but actually seem to get some kind of peverse pleasure in it.

I guess I'm just old and it's all 'bants innit?'

• The "fan" in question referred to Floyd Mayweather as "malteser head" on twitter last weekend before deleting it some time later

• hmmmm...wonder why he called him that? Would you blink @username ?

• 'All I said - as my three friends will tell you - was 'What oh Mr Mayweather did you know your head resembles a popular British sweetmeat...at which point he stopped his car...'

• edited September 2017

2 of them weren't his "mates' and were walking past the Tesco by themselves...

• The kid was no doubt boozed out of his little mind, so it's probably not surprising that he can't remember things amazingly clearly.

Pierre was there today. He should have gone In the terrace for some giggles.

• TARPEY WATCH: Started for Barnet in their 4-1 win at Swindon, but was subbed after 60 goalless and - I'm going to assume - woefully inept minutes. The Barnet Gasroom have, as one, condemned him as 'not up to this level'. Ainsworth is a genius.

• He hit the bar in the 58th min though

• Outrageous! Fans writing off a player after 60 minutes. It wouldn't happen here.

• "Maidenhead had to look after themselves as well and make sure the deal was right for them".

This could be the major factor in why he was never going to sign for Wycombe.

I actually can't remember who the last player was that Wycombe paid a transfer fee for.

• We paid a fee for Southwell, no idea how much. Tarpey's fee was described as a "substantial record fee" in the Football League Paper. Whether that was a record for Barnet, Maidenhead or indeed both wasn't made clear, but it does make it sound like Barnet were able to offer Maidenhead more money than we currently can.

• Didn't we pay for Gape and Pierre?

• And, remarkably, their need was probably greater.

Didn't realise we paid a fee for Dayle Southwell. Soccerbase has it as a free transfer. Incidentally, Dayle will be 24 next month and I still think he has the potential to compare favourably with Tarpey. Come on @rmjlondon.

• I thought we'd got Pierre on a free. Not sure about Gape.

We definitely paid QPR for Harriman

• We'd have paid Brentford compensation for Pierre.

• Do we really need another striker?

• @arnos_grove said:
    Do we really need another striker?

Only in the worst (and saddest) case scenario that Scott Kashket has to hang them up.

• From preview: Wanderers are also joint top scorers in League Two with 13 goals, having scored only 3 goals at the same stage last season.

All without SK...so I reckon we will be okay for goals if our wrinkled retainers do their work until he comes back for the title run-in. Just need to shore up defence.

• "Wrinkled retainers"? If that's not a euphemism I don't know what is.

• I'll fight anyone who calls me a euphemist @Jonny_King