Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• edited April 2017

@Chris , Winfield wasn't by even the loosest expression anywhere near "great". Us trying to keep him doesn't mean he was great, merely he'd have been useful to keep.

I dare say he's comfortably still better than Conference south, but Ebbsfleet undoubtedly pay more than a lot of teams in the Conference, and i'd reckon more than some league 2 teams too. Stuart Lewis dropping there too recently, and McCoy.

It's amusing to see the ferocious debate on WDH and Muller. We'll all be one side or the other. I'd go for Muller. WDH just screams "out of his depth" every time I see him, and for a tall guy doesn't seem to dominate like your Pierre/Stewart combo. Muller at least has the hope that he has a bit more to come. Although the longer we go on , I wonder if that'll come to pass.

I think back to the time earlier in the season where there was a strange turn against Pierre, and people actually applauded WDH being included in front of him. An abysmal display in the 4-2 roasting at Luton immediately changed the tide.

• If JJ thinks Sido is the best centre half at the club, that's good enough for me!

• With WDH I think it's reasonable to summarise him as an inexperienced player who showed some initial promise but then progressively lost confidence, especially when paired with an equally inexperienced CB, probably to an extent where it became sensible to remove him from the firing line. Far too early for me to judge his entire career on that.

With Max I think it's a question of whether he can learn and adapt to our brand of football in League Two. I do feel that we've probably taken a bit of a punt with him (echoes of Sergio?) in the hope that he could turn out to be something special at our level.

• With regards to what style of football Max was playing in Austria, you might be able to get some idea from this feed of one of Austria Salzburg's games this season

Although this is a level below the Austria second-tier 'Erste Liga', it doesn't seem to much different to what I've previously seen of football at that level. Certainly not as physical as League 2/Fourth Division, also pressing isn't generally as aggressive as it is here.

• @micra, did JJ actually say that, or did he actually say something about he performs well there in training, which would be a much less physical set up. ie not the most effective centre back at all, which is clearly Pierre

• Winfield was head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above both Lewis (who I liked) and McCoy (who I did not). His move to Shrewsbury was up to a division above - he was better than League 2 level in June 2013.

• I think it was @HCblue who posted somewhere that he'd been talking to some supporters who'd sat with JJ at a recent function and that he'd made a comment to that effect. I didn't get the impression that his judgement was based purely on performance in training. I take your point about that but I remember that Sido was outstanding in central defence at Barnet in the FA Cup a couple of seasons ago (or was it last season?) and in other games around that time.

• WDH was in the car park with Sam Wood on Saturday so don't talk utter crap !!

• He also have another year on his contract.

• Hence my advocacy a few weeks ago of Sido 's claim to a role in central defence (clearly seen and acted upon by the great GA).

• had Sido played centre half against Cheltenham we would be 3 points better off now !!

• I guarantee we wouldn't have been.

• @Malone It was indeed me who had passed on the hearsay about JJ's view of Sido as a CB. I understood from the people I was talking to that it was a view based on how effective he is in training. It could hardly be otherwise, I suppose, since JJ will have seen little of him in matches.

For what it's worth, based on the last three games, I'd have Sido at the same level as Pierre in terms of quality. Different player, yes, but the timing of his tackles has been exemplary and his decision-making spot on: almost the anti-Sido compared to my perception of him at RB. Plus, his distribution is head and shoulders better than AP.

• @ReadingMarginalista I've only scanned and viewed a few sections of the video, but it does look as though the defenders often are allowed a lot more time and space on the ball than in English League Two.

Other brief observations:

• unlike what we generally see in League Two, the teams in the video seem to favour short corners over kicking the ball directly from the corner into a melee in the box;
    • there appear to be no rules banning pyrotechnics in the crowd, given that flares - the actual burning ones with real flames, as opposed to the smoke bombs that have been used in recent Wycombe matches - are waved about on more than one occasion with no apparent response from stewards (were there any present?) or any other authority figures.
  • We'd definitely be two better off though

And how many deaths every week do they see in the Austrian leagues? Must be hundreds a season with thousands maimed.

• Possibly, not definitely.

• Pretty certain though, he was directly at fault along with Hariman for the equaliser at the end. He could have done better on both their first two as well, it was the man nearest him that got the tap in for the first, and he couldn't sort his feet out to get to the cross for the second. That and the fact he gave them the ball back constantly throughout.

• Far from certain. We could be seven points worse off now if he'd played in that game. We'll never know.

• @rmjlondon Unbelievable that you're telling someone else not to talk crap.

• tbh this forum is full of shite but when your depressed it fucking helps to know that most wycombe supporters are the saddest people alive.

• I have a theory about where a lot of the shite on here comes from @rmjlondon, but why on earth would an seasoned WWFC insider, always first in the FACT queue, always willing to call fellow fans out on their lack of knowledge in the severest manner ever be depressed?

• At least @rmjlondon is not repressed!

• or oppressed #cyberbully

• Depression can be a serious condition. There are plenty of sources of support out there for anyone that needs it - http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/useful-contacts/

• I'm guessing most people who are actually depressed don't just flippantly mention it as a means to having a dig at random strangers on an internet forum.

Now that's sad.

• Let's all be nice to @rmjlondon - just in case

• @Uncle_T The amount of time defenders have on the ball was struck me as well. Clearly I was born in the wrong country!
    With regards to pyrotechnics, a somewhat imprecise law was passed in 2010 that bans possession of fireworks or flares at 'football events' or anywhere or anytime that has any sort of relation to a 'football event' (e.g. bus to the ground). Anyone found offending against the regulations can face up to a €4,000+ fine or 4 weeks in prison.
    Flares and fireworks are regularly let off at football grounds in Austria all the time though, not sure the current regulations are having much effect.

• It certainly didn't look like there was any enforcement going on.

• Just trying to add a bit of realism Malone. Like you, I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that two wins will get us into the play-offs.
    Maybe no need to get the shoe shine boys around but if there is a need, it would be a toss up between DevC and Chris, two of my favourite gasroomers

• Not taking anything for granted but does anyone know the playoff dates?