Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• It's really on now, 1 point off 7th, 2&3 off 6th and 5th.

However, I just caught the end of the 3 counties radio, and a cautionary note is that Morecambe often have rucked us up late on.
    We'd have been promoted 2 years ago if we'd have beaten them in about the 45th game.

However, away from home to them we seem better.

So roll on!

A win to guarantee playoffs in game 46 is something we'd all have taken at any point

• Ref was better than most we've had this season despite getting no help whatsoever from the useless lino.

• If Gape's incredible hit had gone it we could have avoided that last few mins of stress! But we made it.

• I thought O'Nien had a great game. Man-marked Tommy Rowe superbly out of the game. And was still in the right place to grab a couple of goals. Bean too was immense. Hard to pick a bad performance really.

• We moan consistently about officials but bar the JJ harsh booking he was flawless.
    I would like to have a system where key decisions are explained by an official to educate the laymen a bit. The last man decision on Kashket I would like to understand.
    I also can't remember a ref getting a round of applause for a decision like he did at the end after the little scrap.

• Fantastic performance from everyone, Bean as mentioned was brilliant but I'd give MOTM to Harriman, on the few times that Bean & Pierre both came out to close down a defender and got beaten, he was always running in behind to cover for them, as well as providing a much needed outlet down the right side all game.

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think the Kashket decision was only a booking on the grounds that he (arguably) didn't have control of the ball, and was potentially running away from goal (or rather, not straight towards it), which combined both probably created enough doubt in the referee's mind not to give a red.

• @ChairboyTom, I feel you've summed up what I saw (or thought I did) and also felt about the Ref, the game and Michael Harriman. We will nearly always have periods of disagreement and confusion with refereeing as that is the name of the game. Overall, a sound performance, though Darren Ferguson would probably not agree!

• What a difference a week makes! A much improved performance with a bit more confidence and some hard yards to eke out a win against a team that looked a cut above the teams that have visited AP this season. I think we simply wanted it more.
    The atmosphere was completely different to the Mansfield game. The improvement in the variety of tactics certainly helped, although the long ball to Akinfenwa was still the stock ball. Generally we looked far more like a team than we have done recently, and we go to Morecambe suddenly full of confidence we can get another big result.

On a side point, the round of applause for Alfie May when he went off injured was very sporting, I can't remember too many other opposition players getting clapped off like that.

• Have to agree on all fronts. Thought Donny were the best team I've seen all season, looked absolutely a class apart. Bean, however, was imperious in front of the back 4 - still can't make a pass well at all, but doesn't need to when he can't tackle and let it pinball to someone with more guile.

• That was one of the most heroic Wycombe performances in recent years. We matched the champions elect for quality but beat them on sheer heart and passion. Quite simply we wanted it more and every single player showed how much by running themselves into the ground. If we can replicate that performance every week we won't be doing much wrong.

It may be wrong to pick out a highlight but mine was Sam Saunders, an experienced player and one of the fittest at the club, being forced off with 10 minutes left due to cramp as he had given his all and had nothing left.

After fans being divided last week, there appears unite again. The atmosphere was superb and great to see such excitement from Ainsworth and the players at the end.

Surely anything is possible now if we play like that in the remaining games?

• I to share the enthusiasm for the performance of the team. Also the fans, whom I felt picked up on the effort from the players and tried to support them over the line. I am however tempering my excitement as I look to Morecombe away next week and remember how we lost to them at home two years ago which effectively urinated on our chances of an auto spot.

• The atmosphere built up nicely at the end. The Woodlands got behind the lads really well towards the end when it was clear we needed all the help we could get to hold on against a team that, on paper, should have beaten us. Reminded me a bit of the game in the great escape/narrow escape season where we scored early on against Chesterfield (who were top of the league at the time) and held on in a terrific display that completely frustrated and nullified supposedly superior opposition. It's a shame that it takes that sort of backs against the wall, us versus the world situation to get the atmosphere going, but better that than never!

• My God where the hell has this team been for the last few weeks? Saunders was man of the match for me, but the times we took the ball off them in midfield was excellent to see. Bayo and Kashket chasing - yes Bayo chasing! - and harrying the full backs, Beano looking like a man possessed, Sido all over the place. A fantastic team performance, with substitutions made in time to make a difference! If we don't make the playoffs we will have to ask why we cannot see that sort of application and effort every week. Especially as Doncaster were an excellent pacey side. Sad for him, but it was a relief to see the little striker have to leave the pitch. An excellent game I was pleased to witness. Now put Morecambe to the sword and bring on Cambridge!

• Only side thing for me was the sprinkling of booing of Pierre and the fact that his bond with the Terrace (that he used to acknowledge every week) looked like it has been somewhat damaged by recent events.

• @Wendoverman , didn't hear any of that myself. But then from the woodlands, you can barely here the terrace anyway

• @Malone there was a little bit and then the Terrace thankfully broke into 'Only One Pierre' but he did not tap his badge as he used to do...a little thing, but a bit sad especially as it was supposed to have been sorted out to the satisfaction of all concerned. Hopefully by the time we've beaten Luton in the play-off final it will all be water under the bridge!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 that's good to know. I was keeping an eye out, but must have missed it. Possibly my Gasroom OAP glasses needed a clean.

• The boo boys in the terrace were unceremoniously shouted down

• It was an interesting line up, first of all suggesting that Saunders would be the top of a diamond, but instead it was Bloomfield there.
    Clearly more chance of getting Saunders on the ball lower down the pitch, and Bloomers has more mobility and energy getting round.

With Paris not quite ready, and Kashket much better centrally than coming from wide, we might have stumbled across the best formation late on.

Saunders centrally with 3 others around him will definitely suit him.

Sido has been a revelation, and although Stewart back would be ideal, that's not quite as urgent as with the other 2 younger lads there.

Carry on with the same lineup then, with a decision on whether Gape and Paris can break back in.
    Really,really hope we have more than 2 games left. Would complete an incredible rollercoaster of a season.

Win v Morecambe and we surely have a big chance of getting the tv game on the last day too>

• Sido has been fantastic last three games. Such a classy player. Doesn't look a player in an unfavoured position. Really hope he gets more game time next year

• It's been an absolute waste having him on the bench for so much this season. But a tough call as the rest of the back 4 are quality too.

• If I had to watch one player week in week out it would be Sido. Complete opposite of a solid League 2 defender. Unpredictable at times, which might frustrate a manager and teammates but a joy to watch.

• @DJWYC14 Had a nice chat with some fellow fans at half-time who had been sat with JJ at the dinner last week. Evidently, he shared the opinion that Sido is the best centre back at the club, based on his play in training, but said that Sido doesn't like to play there because he doesn't get to attack so much!

• I'm guessing he prefers it to sitting on the bench though?

• Perhaps the solution would be to give him free rein to go forward. It would be nice to have a ball-carrying CB. If nothing else it would up the entertainment value

• Honestly, he seems like the answer to all our prayers at CB, doesn't he? Is he in contract for next season?...

• If Sido wants to attack more, maybe he could have a go at playing in midfield? Someone with his composure on the ball surely could do a decent job there.