Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• As it seemed that every one was searched before we entered the ground,I was amazed as well as angry that a WWFC ticket holder was so stupid to ignite a smoke flare. I would certainly expect the club to ban any fan found to have been so foolish to carry out this dangerous act.

• Unless a steward is going to search someone's crotch, they'll never stop someone on the smuggle.
    But you'd think releasing a smoke bomb is fairly obvious, and they'll get caught eventually.

• The Trust Directors need to take this seriously and put a concerted effort to identify and ban the culprits.

• The> @mooneyman said:

The Trust Directors need to take this seriously and put a concerted effort to identify and ban the culprits.

I'm sure trying to ban some of our own fans is really high up their agenda...

• One away team self identified the idiot when they chucked a smoke bomb on the pitch at Adams Park. He was kicked out. Job done.

Shame some of our fans don't throw up this idiot too. I've heard it's the same kid each time.
    I suspect it's because a lot of the "Yoof" think it's actually a hilarious jape. Maybe it's an age thing, as a fair bit older than them I find it pathetic.

• @Malone said:
    One away team self identified the idiot when they chucked a smoke bomb on the pitch at Adams Park. He was kicked out. Job done.

Shame some of our fans don't throw up this idiot too. I've heard it's the same kid each time.
    I suspect it's because a lot of the "Yoof" think it's actually a hilarious jape. Maybe it's an age thing, as a fair bit older than them I find it pathetic.

That was Stourbridge, and it wasn't one of their fans it was an FA cup tag along, and they'd had fines previously in the season for it and another could have been trouble for them financially

• So are you suggesting they only ratted on the guy because he wasn't a regular?
    They managed to realise that pretty much instantly?

• @Malone said:
    So are you suggesting they only ratted on the guy because he wasn't a regular?
    They managed to realise that pretty much instantly?

Not explicitly that, but if people sit/ stand with the same people every week, no one's going to stick up or help a randomer, or even turn a blind eye if someone accuses them. If they're known/ in the group that definitely wouldn't be the case.

• I am actually pretty sure that one of the culprits yesterday was over 50.

• Wycombe lad. Easy for an older person to get anything in a ground. Millwall away FA Cup the last time I got frisked at a game. Its certainly more than 50 league games ago.
    I was searched at every Olympic event, including 4 football and at England Wembley games.

• I was only one or two rows in front of whoever threw the flare, and I've still got no idea who it was out of the group of 20 or so behind me. It's not always that easy to identify the culprit.

I was surprised at how small the thing was, it looked not much bigger than a large shotgun cartridge, the type you find when walking in the woods. Despite the very thorough frisk on entry, as someone else says, put it in your crotch and they won't be finding it.

I wouldn't have minded the flare so much in a more modern ground where there is better ventilation and less chance of a giant inferno. What irked me most though was that they threw it at someone else's (my) feet, rather than letting themselves get enveloped in the nasty smoke and smell it emits.

• Not sure I'd be keen to have a smoke bomb nestling against my crotch, however small - the smoke bomb I mean.

• I think this needs not to be a witch hunt....I believe the guys who I believe to be involved, call themselves team delusioal or such like, and are old enough to know better

• No comment from me on the severity of this incident - I wasn't there.

There is a bit of a recurrent theme here. If you feel that your enjoyment of the day, your reputation and possibly your safety were compromised, I would suggest that you contact the club and the trust to register your complaint and ask them what they are doing about it.

Also bring it up at a fans forum, eg "Wycombe Wanderers supporters, home and away, have earned an enviable reputation for being friendly and well-behaved over many years. Do the Trust and the Club value this reputation and do they believe that this reputation is currently under any threat"

• I find this whole group interesting somewhat, are they just a bunch of drunks or are they more. They do somewhat helpful the atmosphere and I even saw one or two of them throwing coins into orient buckets.
    Seems a shame that they then try to kill us all with flares

• I'm with @Glenactico: 'Based on recent displays, I have very little confidence that we will be in reach of the play offs by the final day, and if we do somehow finish 7th I could see us getting walloped over two legs.'

I don't think we will make the play-offs, if we do I think we will lose the semis, if we don't we will lose the final, and if we don't we will certainly struggle in League One.

• @wycombelad said:
    I find this whole group interesting somewhat, are they just a bunch of drunks or are they more. They do somewhat helpful the atmosphere and I even saw one or two of them throwing coins into orient buckets.
    Seems a shame that they then try to kill us all with flares

More ridiculous hyperbole that means genuine complaints get ignored.

• "More ridiculous hyperbole that means genuine complaints get ignored."
    No logic in that statement whatsoever.

• I've just been whiling away precious moments trying to guess what word auto spell replaced with the seemingly inappropriate "helpful".

• Sour perhaps?

• I was not there so cannot comment on the actual events. Sadly, often it's all a bit of harmless fun until it isn't. I suppose if there is no police horse or eagle to punch you've got to find your 'amusing banter' elsewhere. As @Username says no-one got hurt and I'm sure if somebody had he would be condemning it, like the rest of you, though no doubt in a less hyperbolic manner.

• Couple of things. The smoke bomb / flare. I don't like them. They are illegal the person bringing into the ground should be appropriately sanctioned. The wider criticism of the youths that we have is a little unfair. I am sure if I was to see my 18-year old self back in the day when we played Dulwich Hamlet et al I would not be too impressed either. I would love to say that I was a happy drunk with a terrace wit akin to Noel Coward but I am guessing to others our little group were a bunch of a-holes. If you don't like the cussing moving away, if the cussing turns to more unsavoury then there is a problem of course. Regardless of beer input I am 100% certain our behaviour never included racial comments (in fact I clearly recall getting into one with a guy who did use unbelievable comments towards a player under the Smith era).

Second point. What happened to Southwell on Saturday? Injured again?

• @Cyclops said:
    "More ridiculous hyperbole that means genuine complaints get ignored."
    No logic in that statement whatsoever.

If I / I'm sure many people, constantly read things that are completely over the top, you end up glazing over all complaints about the subject, even the more reasonable ones.

• Always read this "move away". Why should you have to move away?
    This mob tend to like to take up a very central position, and often all bundle in late, irrespective of people who've been there for hours to get that view.

Why should you have to move away, or deal with their behaviour? Why are those the options?

• Unless it's your first ever time at a match you now where there'll be a standing section pretty much. It's the same for every club, usually central at the back.

If I get there early I'll make a choice on where I sit/stand depending on whether I'm sitting or standing that day. You can't act surprised if you sit in the back row in the centre and then people stand around you. It's not like we sell out away sections so there are limited seats/good seats.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I know what you are saying as many who knew me and my lot in my younger days thought we were an utter pain in the arse! I am not sure where or when I became an old git or if indeed I am or ever will be. I don't condone flares though, I think they are unnecessary especially in daytime matches almost pointless. But being young and enthusiastic in your support isnt necessarily a bad thing at all. Many people like a drink before football and good luck to them, I know I do and always will do. I suppose It depends if you want to be an out and out hooligan or just an over excited Ultra. Great day at Dulwich in 87 though!

• Seems a shame that so much focus is on this incident, which does sound idiotic, granted, when there have been so many positive comments from Orient fans across a variety of platforms towards Wycombe supporters.

Worth remembering that by and large we have a very very well behaved set of supporters, one of the best behaved in the country, with a reputation to match. I've always said that one of the best things about supporting Wycombe is the fact that we don't have a "firm", and I stand by that

• I condone the beer throwing and flares....this team deluded guys, should be called team dimwitted

• I agree with the more measured comments here about the youth. I was probably exceptionally annoying when I was 16 to 18 years old, and loved being a drunken idiot.

I still enjoy a few beers and some infantile behaviour at the football as long as I'm not hurting or outright offending anyone.

• @malone you shouldn't have to move away. Much the same if I was on a train and a bunch of obnoxious fools got in my carriage. I would choose to move away. I don't want conflict and I don't want my experience spoiled. It's my choice. It's yours. Some battles I just can't be arsed to fight.