Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Quite a strange afternoon.

I thought we were poor from the start, much like against County. Orient could have had a goal or two early on, before a red card for a benign foul basically decided the result.

From there on we could not have failed to win. But it was a bit disappointing that we had to rely on two fairly scrappy goals. Even in the second half, which was largely a non event, we looked fairly clunky in possession.

It was odd that rather than play two up front and leave them there, we deployed a front three and didn't ask the wingers to track bavk as they normally would. Although the intent was good, it did leave the midfield exposed, especially when one of them was Saunders, who looked totally out of place and spent most of the first half an hour scurrying around trying to break up Orient attacks.

Based on recent displays, I have very little confidence that we will be in reach of the play offs by the final day, and if we do somehow finish 7th I could see us getting walloped over two legs.

On a more positive note, I quite enjoyed Orient's protests against Be****ti and it was pleasing to see the majority of Wanderer's supporters showing some solidarity with them. I especially enjoyed the 'band' playing an assortment of protest/piss-take cover songs in the pub after the game.

• Just seen the goals. I'd be fuming if our second goal was the other way around. Weston clearly pushes the defender into the goal keeper. We got away with one there.

• Couldn't agree more @SEWanderer. I'd also add in the red card which looks harsh as well. Those two moments added to a fortunate deflection for the first goal suggest that we had more than our share of luck today. Sadly for Orient when you're down the bottom these are the breaks that tend to go against you.

• The red card incident and the second goal are even worse than they appeared at the time - No more than a yellow card and a definite push respectively.

• All in all an interesting day out.

Was very proud we joined in and started chants against Bechetti. It made the end of the game much more engaging as the football became an absolute sideshow.

Orient started very well and if it wasn't for the slightly harsh sending off I think they would of won.

It shows how poorly we are playing at the minute, bereft of ideas against a team of demoralised kids who get thumped every week and don't get paid.

Scrappy first goal, probably a foul for the second. Lucky to win at all against 10 men.

The flare went off right in front of the poor bloke stood next to me and was wedged behind the seat. Pretty dangerous and unpleasant stuff. Luckily another fan extinguished it with his bottle of squash.

Very sad talking to orient fans including one older gentleman who could barely hold back tears. Hopefully they can get some new owners and win the Conference next year.

• I know what TVP stands for. I didn't know that hey operated in East London.

• Using hyperbole doesn't help yourself.

Yes a few away fans and some stewards are mildly annoyed for a few minutes (it's probably a pretty common occurrence so don't kid yourself they were in a panic), but to say they're "dragging the clubs name through the dirt" is absolute rubbish.

• Really? Such behaviour is not needed at any sporting occasion. Maybe you have different standards to me and accept such behaviour but with young children and ladies in attendance it is just stupid. Some of these so called fans simply want to draw attention to themselves. It is not needed at all and cannot be justified.

• It also deters other WWFC fans from going, so not exactly in the clubs interest.

• Hopefully next season one of the Trust Directors will go and stand with these so called supporters to identify the miscreants and subsequently ban them from the club.

• It's a red card. You have to punish recklessness even without intent, and that's why the law is there. Ref made the right decision for the red card, but a terrible one for our 2nd.

• It was unallocated seating yesterday, if you didn't want to be with the rowdier lot you didn't have to be.

I wasn't that far away... Maybe 7 or 8 rows and was slightly annoyed by the smoke for approximately 10 seconds, hardly a huge problem.

• I don't feel too bad about the 2nd goal, personally I didn't see it as a steward was telling us to sit down after celebrating the first.
    If it was a deliberate shove, then it doesn't balance last weeks decision when Miles Weston should have had a penalty. Last weeks decision would have been a game changer. This weeks wasn't so we are still due a bit of luck.
    Can we have it in the Mansfield game please.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Really? Such behaviour is not needed at any sporting occasion. Maybe you have different standards to me and accept such behaviour but with young children and ladies in attendance it is just stupid. Some of these so called fans simply want to draw attention to themselves. It is not needed at all and cannot be justified.

'....Young children and ladies...'

It is 2017 you know.

Obviously setting off flares is silly but why on earth would 'ladies' be any more concerned about it than anyone else.

• As far as I was able to see at least one of the Trust Directors was in among the unrulier element. Whether, or not, he was making notes I couldn't be sure.

• You miss the point Username. Firstly any such behaviour is not needed. Secondly, flares can really cause damage to innocent people, burning scaring etc. Maybe it only upset your day for a few seconds but it can have really damaging results.

• Re the smoke bombs. Quite frankly it isn't welcome. If you are too stupid to realise this you shouldn't come to football.
    I suffer serious breathing difficulties related to asthma, letting off the smoke bomb in my vacinity and you will put me in hospital.
    If i could identify you I'd be pressing the club to bring charges for reckless endangerment.
    Is that clear enough for you.
    My health shouldn't be put at risk because of your stupidity.

• edited April 2017

Seeing as I've never taken a flare /smoke bomb into a ground that'd be pretty pointless.

It's no worse than being in a nightclub with a smoke machine/ being sat behind one of the horrible buses in Wycombe.

• Apart from the fact it's illegal to take one into a football ground and thick as shit letting it off in a wooden stand.

• @fromtheside said:
    Apart from the fact it's illegal to take one into a football ground and thick as shit letting it off in a wooden stand.

Letting off a smoke bomb in a wooden stand isn't really any more stupid than anywhere else. Not like you can miss where is it and leave it like a cigarette butt, and they're not that hot on the outside like a flare.

(I'm not saying they should happen, but the ott reaction / comments to them makes the general disdain seem less valid to me).

• One thing not mentioned so far is what would happen if a fans wycombe top started burning as they don't take that long to go up in flames. The fact it was kin a wooden stand makes it all the more stupid as i'm sure a lot of us remember how quickly Bradford's stand was burnt down killing a lot of fans.

• @robin said:
    One thing not mentioned so far is what would happen if a fans wycombe top started burning as they don't take that long to go up in flames. The fact it was kin a wooden stand makes it all the more stupid as i'm sure a lot of us remember how quickly Bradford's stand was burnt down killing a lot of fans.

That was an unnoticed cigarette butt that went under the stand, a bit different.

• @Username Taking a smoke canister into a football ground is against the law, for very good reasons. To do so, therefore, is to break the law which is both stupid and dangerous. End of.

• I also loved the 'ladies' comment. Just as an aside, something I've long wondered, do we actually have any women posting on this forum at all? It seems pretty remarkable if not. The only one I assumed we did have was @brittanywanderer but I get the impression the link is more with the French province than a first name.

Oh and just to keep it on topic, I'm also amazed anyone would bring in a smoke bomb. Having said that, the away matches I remember most fondly are when the yoof are slightly over exuberant. It's deeply annoying at the time but less so reflecting back. Barnet next week will be fun - their bouncy steel stand will hopefully be rocking after a few goals....

• I imagine any passing 'ladies' will have immediately swooned at their keyboards and been shocked into a fearful malady after reading some of the coarse and vulgar language on this site.

• @Username
    My point is, anyone letting off a smoke bomb is putting my health at risk. I don't go to night clubs nor do i suck the exhaust from buses (my choice) because they would seriously risk my health.
    Why should i have to tolerate an illegal act that puts my health at risk.
    Truth is I don't. Like i said if i can identify the culprit that lets one off anywhere near me I'll ensure they are prosecuted.
    If they don't like it i suggest they respect everyone's right and don't bring the smoke bomb in the first place.

• And any clown who lets off a flare should not complain when other Wycombe fans give them a serious slap, idiots will get what they deserve and the majority of Wycombe fans hopefully will give the stupid children a deserved smack so they can run home and complain to mummy that " Those nasty people hit me"

• It's pretty likely it's the same twat, and that's a fair word I think, who brings them to a lot of the away games.

Shouldn't be too hard to find out who is it, and then snitch them into oblivion.

"It's so unfair, it was just banter". I can imagine the scenes now.
    "Everyone does it"

• I do not condone the use of violence which you are suggesting. Calling for violeate is hypocritoral in the extreme.
    I have mentiomed this minority several times before. I had the misfortune to be in a nice peaceful pub near the ground yesterday.....when the hoard of morons appeared.
    They do not appear to have any respect, indeed singing anti police songs.
    I swiftly left they hoodlums in the pub

• The police probably already know who they are @Malone so hopefully a letter will dropping on their doorsteps soon.