Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• https://www.stalbanscityfc.com/obituary-phil-wood/

A few weeks ago. Guess there are some on here who will remember him. Quite a classy defender IIRC. RIP.

• Kortney Hause starts for Villa tonight at Leicester in Carabao Cup SF 1st leg - live on Sky ko 8pm

• @NewburyWanderer, I remember Phil Wood's one season for us. As you say, a very good defender. What a write up, comprehensive to say the least. An action photo of him, right, in that 73-74 season.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/13036b_b4aae6a21ef94aeeab687f48da0f79c5~mv2.jpg

• The St Albans historian has earned his money tonight!

• Tafari Moore being publicly bullied out by Plymouth.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-tafari-moore-contract-3720645

Cannot imagine any circumstances where GA would behave in such a shoddy way. Yet another reminder how lucky we are to have such a thoroughly decent man as our manager.

• What a fantastic bloke

One of our finest

• @DevC said:
    Tafari Moore being publicly bullied out by Plymouth.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-tafari-moore-contract-3720645

Cannot imagine any circumstances where GA would behave in such a shoddy way. Yet another reminder how lucky we are to have such a thoroughly decent man as our manager.

Unfortunately this sort of thing is commonplace in football. Force them to train with the youth team, and make it awkward for them and hope they''ll go.

• Yeah I know. But usually to mature pros on high salaries. This is a young kid ex Arsenal and England good hardworking pro by all accounts likely not on a huge salary being forced out by a lg2 club six months before end of his contract.
    Lacking basic human decency in my view.

• @DevC said:
    Yeah I know. But usually to mature pros on high salaries. This is a young kid ex Arsenal and England good hardworking pro by all accounts likely not on a huge salary being forced out by a lg2 club six months before end of his contract.
    Lacking basic human decency in my view.

This seems a somewhat harsh characterisation, @devc, though one questions the need to put it in the public domain. As with injury news, we know little of the other inner machinations at Wycombe. In situations like this, that seems a good thing. Unlike the matter of player availability, which I tend to think is of legitimate interest to fans, little gained by airing this sort of thing in public, not least in the case of a player who has evidently nothing wrong except fail to be as good as the club that bought him hoped he would be.

• I am not sure it’s a harsh characterisation at all @HCblue . Footballers are human too. This young mans dreams of being a professional footballer are potentially coming to an end. Last week we had a special mental health day and no doubt Plymouth made supportive noises. And yet at a very traumatic time in a young employees life, instead of supporting him with empathy they treat him like dirt in the hope of saving a few quid. I think that is shameful. I don’t think GA would behave in the same way to a young player.

• I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Wycombe.

• Useful squad member I think

• My recollection of Tafari is really hazy. Is he a left or right back/wingback? Not very tall so wouldn’t provide cover in the centre of defence. Anyone share @drcongo’s reaction?

• I do @micra he was a right-sided player as I recall who shone early on but got a bit Wycombised and lost confidence in going forward.

• Thanks @Wendoverman . Clearly considerable potential capable of being realised in the right hands. As a Londoner, he might feel more at ease and confident back here and with the customary sensitive handling that our club offers.
    Yeah, I’m with @drcongo !

• It think I'm not sure he would offer much we don't already have available. He had a sensational first game - remember that fantastic dribble from the half-way line? - but did little in attack after that and was not a notably strong defender. @Wendoverman may be right in his theory about the reasons why but, given he would be coming into the same system, and in a higher league, I'm not sure there would be any reason to expect a different outcome.

• @DevC said:
    I am not sure it’s a harsh characterisation at all @HCblue . Footballers are human too. This young mans dreams of being a professional footballer are potentially coming to an end. Last week we had a special mental health day and no doubt Plymouth made supportive noises. And yet at a very traumatic time in a young employees life, instead of supporting him with empathy they treat him like dirt in the hope of saving a few quid. I think that is shameful. I don’t think GA would behave in the same way to a young player.

Leaving aside the publication of the circumstances, which I already addressed, it would depend on whether you think it unconscionable to offer a settlement of contract in the manner described to a player who the club, rightly or wrongly, has determined is no longer part of its plans. It must be very disappointing/ discouraging for him to be in that position, especially assuming he has given his best efforts to contribute effectively, and my instinct says that he has every right to expect the contract to be honoured in full if that is so. But I also assume that, in the real football world, clubs and players come to similar arrangements some amount of the time and that it is not always the case that the departing player ends on the scrapheap, in or out of penury.

• @HCblue said:

It think I'm not sure he would offer much we don't already have available. He had a sensational first game - remember that fantastic dribble from the half-way line? - but did little in attack after that and was not a notably strong defender. @Wendoverman may be right in his theory about the reasons why but, given he would be coming into the same system, and in a higher league, I'm not sure there would be any reason to expect a different outcome.

You remember it exactly how I do. Never came close to hitting the heights of that first game.

So bearing in mind he wasn't that good for us, we're operating on a higher budget than those times, and he's just had a miserable time in the division below, it wouldn't really make much sense all round to bring him back.

• No issue @HCblue with Plymouth sensitively offering a contract settlement. It may well be a sensible move for young Tafari. It is the trying to bully him out by going to the local press and making him train with the youth team that I find so distasteful.

• edited January 2020

Bruno Andrade has signed for Salford

• 2 for Akinde against Bolton tonight and a late goal for Pierre in the FA Cup tie against Bristol City.

• Great goal. I feared he was going to score a 40 yarder before he played that driven pass.

• Some way to set up a tie against Liverpool

• Just before he hits that shot, the ball said to him ‘you’ve had a pretty awful game’.

• @Chris said:
    Just before he hits that shot, the ball said to him ‘you’ve had a pretty awful game’.

then it all kicked off

• Jordan Archer leaves oxford to go to Fulham.
    Jamal Blackman now back in training and available for Vitesse. he is 26 now. Weird career.