Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• The comment about Boro and WBA refers to your earlier remark, "Not sure about a pitch invasion for a draw, though."

• Should be grounds for disciplinary action and fines. I've always rated Klopp highly but he's gone down a lot in my estimation.

• I’d be tempted to ban them from next seasons FA Cup - and the charity shield

• They will still win.

• And if played the first team with var the shrews would be out of it by halftime. If i was sam ricketts i would be very happy.

• edited January 2020

I understand the need for a winter break - and the replay falls within what is supposed to be one - but maybe he should have put out a stronger team yesterday... There are too many games these days, but that's partly because of the Champions League - which no top manager is complaining about (I wonder why...) - and I'm not sure throwing your toys out of the pram is the way to voice that concern. Shrewsbury should win at Anfield, but it won't be the same as if Liverpool were fielding a proper team.

• Having a winter break in February just invites being caught out one year when there's appalling weather that postpones games in Dec or Jan, doesn't it? Surely?

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    I understand the need for a winter break - and the replay falls within what is supposed to be one - but maybe he should have put out a stronger team yesterday... There are too many games these days, but that's partly because of the Champions League - which no top manager is complaining about (I wonder why...) - and I'm not sure throwing your toys out of the pram is the way to voice that concern. Shrewsbury should win at Anfield, but it won't be the same as if Liverpool were fielding a proper team.

As a lower league fan, this "too many games" schtick always seems madness, when there's 8 more league games for lower league clubs.
    And the Checkyourwhistle cup, and earlier rounds of the other cups match or mean as many games as any champions league campaign.

• We have too many games as well. I can't remember where or who now, but I saw someone suggest four FL divisions of 18 teams instead of three of 24. Would that be such a bad thing?

• edited January 2020

Premier League teams not in Europe: minimum 40 games
    FA Cup holders: 41 (Community Shield and do they to into Europa League qualifying?)
    PL team/s in Europa League qualifying: 42
    PL team/s straight into Europa League at group stage: 46
    PL teams in Champions League: 46
    Previous season's champions: 47 (Champions League plus Community Shield)

Championship teams: 48
    League One and Two teams: 51 (quite mad that we automatically play three more games than teams in the division above)

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    We have too many games as well. I can't remember where or who now, but I saw someone suggest four FL divisions of 18 teams instead of three of 24. Would that be such a bad thing?

You don't seem one for tradition, is that fair?
    Teams have earnt their places in different divisions, so I'd personally be violently against anything that diffuses that.
    Be it regionalisation, merging lower leagues, any semblance of "closed shop" non relegation / promotion etc.

That 39th game was the worst of them all. Would have totally warped the idea of what a league is meant to be, ie all teams play everyone else home and away.

• @Malone said:

@Tom_Hancock said:
    We have too many games as well. I can't remember where or who now, but I saw someone suggest four FL divisions of 18 teams instead of three of 24. Would that be such a bad thing?

You don't seem one for tradition, is that fair?
    Teams have earnt their places in different divisions, so I'd personally be violently against anything that diffuses that.
    Be it regionalisation, merging lower leagues, any semblance of "closed shop" non relegation / promotion etc.

That 39th game was the worst of them all. Would have totally warped the idea of what a league is meant to be, ie all teams play everyone else home and away.

I'm not much of a traditionalist, no, but I guess that's partly a product of when I've grown up. I'm not necessarily in favour of that kind of restructure, but it's an interesting thought. That's quite a radical proposal, but I think we've got to reduce the load somehow.

• Not much ex player news going on for the amount of comments.

• 25% drop in home games means 25% drop in gate money - still a significant source of income for lower league clubs. Not convinced this is a viable solution to a problem I am not convinced exists.

• “...so I'd personally be violently against anything that diffuses that.”

I hadn’t pictured you as a man of violence before that comment @Malone!

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but I’ll probably stick to moaning about it loudly over a pint or two...

• @bookertease said:
    “...so I'd personally be violently against anything that diffuses that.”

I hadn’t pictured you as a man of violence before that comment @Malone!

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but I’ll probably stick to moaning about it loudly over a pint or two...

it was either violently, or ferociously.

Should probs have gone the latter in hindsight.
    I let @micra look after me, no violence here.

• Good signing for Sunderland, but I'm fairly sure we had add ons included in the deal when he was sold to QPR, so we might pick something up here.

• edited January 2020

He was released by Barnsley before joining QPR, wasn't he? So surely we won't get anything?

• edited January 2020

Rarely been sadder to see a player leave than when he went mid-play off season. Should be a great signing for the sad mackems.

Yeah, ran his contract down at Barnsley and over the compo age so no £ for us. Maybe not such a ridiculous suggestion earlier in the week by someone that we were looking at him again although not gonna compete with them for £

• Not released Tom but left at end of his contract. Nothing for us though.

• Will de Havilland scores an OG to put Halifax back in front.

• Im not sure they will take to a McDucker in Paisley ??

• @ChasHarps said:
    Im not sure they will take to a McDucker in Paisley ??

Good reference from Gillingham, although having said that any recommendation from Steve Evans is probably unreliable.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18202025.alex-jakubiak-praised-gillingham-boss-watford-recall-striker-loan/

• How on earth is he still contracted to Watford?

• Probably signed a long term contract a few years ago and collecting decent money @Jonny_King.

• Rolando Aarons signs for Motherwell.

• @jc2000 said:
    Rolando Aarons signs for Motherwell.

Will get a bit more publicity up there if he achieves anything, could boost him to where he wants to be in his career or could be the next Jason Banton.

• Randell Williams scores for Exeter.