Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Paul Smyth joins Leyton Orient

They’re seriously going for a promotion push this season. They’ve made some very good signings for their level.

• @DPR38 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Paul Smyth joins Leyton Orient

Definitely better than L2 but this might give him the change to go and get some goals against his name which could help get him higher up the pyramid.

Yes, needs a consistent run in a team , some luck with injuries and 10-15 goals a year at whatever level he is at and he'll get another chance higher up, otherwise he'll always be one of those players with a good highlights reel and people scratching their heads at where he ended up.

• @StrongestTeam - reads like the bio of so many strikers it's unreal.
    I'll name that player in ...

• @Twizz said:
    @StrongestTeam - reads like the bio of so many strikers it's unreal.
    I'll name that player in ...

Too true "Looks like Messi on his day" in L1 is still an achievement and a million steps up from the fat bloke in the pub who could have been a pro if he didn't get an injury but you get the idea. He's at an age now where it's about what he can and will do rather than what he might do in several years if all goes well.

• Junior Morias signs for The Linnets.

• Kings Lynn.

• Having a slightly strange career is our man Junior.

• Incredibly he is still only 25 too.

• Wonder if Gaz could get him back on track.

• @Malone said:
    Wonder if Gaz could get him back on track.

Depends how off track he is I guess. Gareth has history for ditching players who don't buy in are fair few times.
    Would be a lovely story if we did get him back and it worked out.

• Bring him home !!

• I’d be all for him coming home to us, if Bayo stays another year he would be a brilliant mentor for him to help keep him on track.

• edited July 2021

We have more pressing needs at the moment, but IF he came back then you know Gaz and Dobbo will have backed themselves to get him back on track; they won't take a gamble on something like that. But he has been through some real shit.

• Apparently Josh Knight is on the brink of joining Peterborough. Sad times.

• @DPR38 said:
    Apparently Josh Knight is on the brink of joining Peterborough. Sad times.

He obviously wants another relegation on his CV.

• No reason not to invite Ibe to a couple of weeks of pre season, but given the squad limits this season it’s unlikely he’ll end up here.

• Messi is available on a free now if we can't get Muskwe back.

• @floyd After what he's been through and what he will remember of Dobbo and Gareth, it would be good to think he might see a lot of personal benefit in doing that. And then he'd realise just how well supported and cared for he would be at Wycombe.

• Ibe has had ‘issues’ concomitant with the ‘too much too soon’ nature of modern top flight remuneration. That said, instead of buying yet another watch or Bentley or nightclub bottle of vodka, how about re-investing some of that income is constructive physiological help.
    Your not telling me top Premier Leaguer clubs don’t offer such an option, but the player has really got to want it for themselves for it to have any positive reaction.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Ibe has had ‘issues’ concomitant with the ‘too much too soon’ nature of modern top flight remuneration. That said, instead of buying yet another watch or Bentley or nightclub bottle of vodka, how about re-investing some of that income is constructive physiological help.
    Your not telling me top Premier Leaguer clubs don’t offer such an option, but the player has really got to want it for themselves for it to have any positive reaction.

Or he's got personal and medical issues which he needs to deal with, that you probably don't fully understand. Do you have any idea what treatment he has and hasn't had?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Ibe has had ‘issues’ concomitant with the ‘too much too soon’ nature of modern top flight remuneration. That said, instead of buying yet another watch or Bentley or nightclub bottle of vodka, how about re-investing some of that income is constructive physiological help.

Or he's got personal and medical issues which he needs to deal with, that you probably don't fully understand. Do you have any idea what treatment he has and hasn't had?

Exactly this unfortunately.
    For some of us, it'll be absolutely impossible to understand people with real mental health issues, as the phrase is bandied around so much these days, it can defuse those with real issues.

I'm sure most of us are more evolved than the John Gregory school of "he's on 20k a week innit, how can he be depressed" Collymore treatment from 20 years ago.

• @floyd said:
    No reason not to invite Ibe to a couple of weeks of pre season, but given the squad limits this season it’s unlikely he’ll end up here.

This would seem a great idea for all parties.
    Well, presuming Ibe still has roots in this area. Think his family originally moved to Liverpool with him? May not be correct on that, but I think so.

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    No reason not to invite Ibe to a couple of weeks of pre season, but given the squad limits this season it’s unlikely he’ll end up here.

This would seem a great idea for all parties.
    Well, presuming Ibe still has roots in this area. Think his family originally moved to Liverpool with him? May not be correct on that, but I think so.

I think he was South London rather than Wycombe not that it really matters but if he's out of contract and has things he needs to deal with he might not be in a great hurry anyway, I can assure you he will have been given Dobbo's number if he wants to chat to him about football or any issues in his life as he said he has done with all players, wether sold for £5m or released as 16yr olds.

• I'm 90% sure I've seen mention of him speaking to Dobbo several times since leaving.

• He looks thrilled ??

• Knight to Pish confirmed

• On their website it looks like a hostage video.

• Steve Arnold signs for Southend.