Skip to content

Yob culture amongst our 'fans'

Comments

• ChasHarps - the point is that we got beyond the violence of the 70s and 80s - confronted by people dying, be it at Heysel or Hillsborough; confronted by being caged and treated as animals due to the miserable excesses of a few - football dragged itself out of a very dark age. Some on here seem to be condoning a return to that age. Do you?

• @drcongo That's quite a mental image!

@ChasHarps You could argue it's important for people who lived through that era and saw where it ultimately led to tell the Danny Dyer types where behaving like a total prick can end up.

• I wonder if @leapfrog hasn't hit on something here. I'm 31, so too young to remember Hillsborough, but old enough to have grown up with it. I can certainly remember when we played at Sheffield Wednesday being moved by going in the Leppings Lane end with my dad and some of my closest friends, and living to tell the tale.

Maybe now we have a younger group of supporters who have grown up being fed on the 'glamorous' side of hooligan culture, aided and abetted by Marseilles and Charleloi, and some appalling books and films, and don't realise how dangerous, fatal even, these attitudes are. It's spooky reading the coverage of the trouble at Upton Park, particularly the lack of police preparedness and thinking how much of that could apply to Hillsborough.

Maybe i'm overstating the case. Just a thought.

• @wearetheyouth wrote
    "Use of the c word is too frequent but no one can claim it hasn't been used in the past previous seasons."

I'm sure many people on this board have used that word at a football on rare occasions (usually for particularly hated players or a certain match-abandoning and last-minute penalty awarding referee), but don't use it as a general term of abuse as seems to have become the norm for certain people of a younger age.
    It doesn't intimidate opposition players or supporters, it doesn't support our team, and makes WWFC supporters look like a bunch of unimaginative, witless low-lives. And increasingly there is anecdotal evidence of people deciding that they won't put up with it and just not bother coming.

Hopefully those people who c-bomb more than a foul-mouthed gynaecologist will have a word with themselves over the summer.

• Last season at Burton one of their fans was chucked out early on for excessive swearing at our fans - the steward near us said they simply won't tolerate a certain level of abuse from anyone. Sadly this was also the day I probably felt most embarrassed to be a Wycombe fan with the abuse directed at Beavon. Harder to chuck a whole group of idiots out than an individual, I guess. I wonder if anyone has made use of the text number advertised around the ground specifically for reporting unacceptable behaviour and if so, was anything done?

• And as I've stated before, I'm not anti-swearing per se, many of the old favourite songs have swearing in them, and any kind of witty chant is okay in my book, but mindless abuse directed at any player, opposition or fellow fans is always unacceptable. It's not `banter', it's just moronic.

• I stand in my season ticket seat because I am at the back of the Beechdean and it bothers no-one. When I wasn't at the back I didn't - it is just manners. I shout and swear (within reason) at the referees and I boo ex-players as it is a bit of fun. I don't shout obscenities at either sets of players as there are a range of ages of people around me. It's just manners. At the end of the day if people are posting in support of behaviour that most other people on here are trying to explain to them appears to be disrespectful, boring and pointless...they should at least take it on board. The fact they just end up reducing it to a question of who is or is not a proper fan, with added insults, is an illustration in itself. Pissed up people (of any age) and their mates purposefully looking for aggro from the opposition fans...or even their own...are not football fans in my book.

• @peterparrotface said:
    arnos_grove I'm not sure if you've got your wycombelads and your wycombeloyals mixed up here.

Possibly. If I have I apologise!

• @wearetheyouth has invited Gasroom posters to post their views on this subject on the fans' Facebook group site. I used to belong to that group but was obliged to leave because I didn't want to encounter the c*** word every time I signed into Facebook. The spoken (or shouted) swear word in the heat of the moment is one thing (not that I condone it) but, with malice aforethought, writing or typing it is another. This Facebook group page is a million miles away from the (usually) reasoned and grammatically correct Gasroom 2, which I now enjoy. You have been warned.

• The young lad is taking a bit of a pasting, some of it is fair, some a little harsh.
    Clearly there's absolutely no benefit in anyone bothering to take the little yoof pack on, on the actual FB page. Why would you? I see the abuse Chris Perrin frequently gets, the abuse that Alan Parry gets. Why do they even bother, I don't know.

I;ve constantly seen some of the pack guys say "if you have a problem, come and speak to us". The idea of a lone chap going and trying to politely converse with these guys! It's ridiculous.

Just one last point. The young lad mentioning standing at games, they're all seater stadiums these days! Unless you're at the back it's dam selfish. What makes it worse, is that if some twat stands in front of you, you then have to stand, creating a real knock on effect.
    Maybe don't expect to wade out of the pub mashed up 10mins before kick off and stroll straight into the prime viewing position en masse?

The scenes at Luton were embarrassing. most people were in position well before kick off, then the pack, 2 blokes in their 50s who have a strange affiliation with a bunch of 20 year olds, all tried to create a new back row, and stand down the isles.

Funnily enough they got moved on..eventually!

• @wycombeloyal said:

... designated seating does not exist so dont give me that. At times clubs like Luton,Portsmouth and Oxford try to enforce it but it dosent have an impact. majoirty of people go where they like. Portsmouth this season i was a member down the front and i did feel bad for the young children and people who wished to sit. but funny enough from the 3rd row at the back down people were sitting so there was no where for us to go? we would of happily stood at the back if there was room but people decided to sit so far back so we didnt have much choice to stand down the front. ( before you ask, no, i was not willing to sit down the front as i wished to stand)

A. Yes designated seating does exist.

When clubs try to enforce it but "is doesn't have an impact" that is because idiots like you choose to ignore it.

B. People "from the 3rd row at the back down(ward)" (at Portsmouth) were, indeed, sitting: probably because they had arrived in good time and had taken up their designated seats. Perhaps you might explain what was wrong with doing that.

C. "So there was no where for us to go".
    Bollocks. There was, actually, plenty of space at the side of the stand, assuming that you did not wish to take up the seat as indicated on your ticket. But you'd rather stand behind the goal - no matter how much inconvenience that causes for others.

D. "We would of happily stood at the back if there was room but people decided to sit so far back so we didnt have much choice to stand down the front."
    As explained - people did not "decide" to sit so far back at all - most of them were sitting in their designated seats. If you, and your mates, had thought to get out of the pub in reasonable time then you might have been able to stand at the back. The reason that you couldn't is because others, who wished to stand, did precisely this and beat you to it. So - you and your pals spend maximum time in the pub, arrive at the ground late, then shove in front of other people, many of whom were elderly or were accompanying small children, so that they can't see the game; then spend most of the match actually ignoring the football because you are more concerned with abusing the opposing club's supporters located in the adjacent stand.

E. "before you ask, no, i was not willing to sit down the front as i wished to stand"
    So, in other words, "stuff everyone else". You stupid, thoughtless, self centred, ignorant, sod.

• How are you comparing standing up at Portsmouth away in front of children and swearing at players to the Hillsborough and heysel disasters? > @LordMandeville said:

wearetheyouth has invited Gasroom posters to post their views on this subject on the fans' Facebook group site. I used to belong to that group but was obliged to leave because I didn't want to encounter the c*** word every time I signed into Facebook. The spoken (or shouted) swear word in the heat of the moment is one thing (not that I condone it) but, with malice aforethought, writing or typing it is another. This Facebook group page is a million miles away from the (usually) reasoned and grammatically correct Gasroom 2, which I now enjoy. You have been warned.

I don't recall seeing the C word on a regular basis on there ever so that's an awful reason to why you mentioned the point I made about posting your opinions on there without answering why none of you will? You enjoy posting anonymously? Or don't have the nerve to challenge any of them (not even face to face). If seeing the C word is your excuse then I can guarantee that you wouldn't be called a C*** for what you'd be saying. Do it and you may be surprised at the response rather than a group full of anonymous members saying things to wind others up.

• So you're all happy to slag them off onomuoisuly behind their backs ? But too gutless to say something with your identity revealed, or to their faces. Sums some of you lot up, embarrassing

• New word alert! #onomuoisuly Top stuff!

• This is either the most tragic thread ever or the funniest thing I have ever read. Still making my mind up.

• Ono wotsit?

I think a lot of people are only too aware that if you try and "confront" a mob that they only know through some dodgy behaviour, the result is only going to be negative, abuse/victimising etc.
    Look how Perrin is treated on the FB group. He gets abuse most days

• Perrin is patronising, as good as told someone they weren't allowed an opinion because they weren't born when Ainsworth started playing football. Suppose he can do and say what he likes though as he's over the age of 50 and went to Loakes park...

• Nearly 6k views...hooly lit lives on

• I suppose for every "over 50 years" oldie, there's the "I went to Carlisle" yoof poster. They're both trying to show their opinion is worthwhile as best they can.

Some of the FB posters are complete idiots, devoid of any intelligence.

I saw one thread the other day, some dopey chap was saying last year was "luck". I think Alan Parry was getting involved, debating it. Not sure why he bothered.

Luck indeed!

• Is there something just a wee bit ironic about banterking and wearetheyouth complaining about posting anonymously/onomuoisuly?

• I'd happily tell you who I am

• who are ya, who are ya

• I've been lucky as a Chairboy through the years all the fellow blues supporters I've met have been genuinely nice, witty and had kept that optimism we entered the league with I guess I felt a bit superior to other less fortunate clubs, well that was until I joined the Facebook page and discovered some of the muppets on there and I don't want to get on any bandwagon but most are under 30.

• There are quite a few people with the surname King, but not many with the forename Banter...

• If it's my mum I'm going to be mortified.

• @Jonny_King Post of the year.

• edited May 2016

we are the yoof mob, we do what we want

• you old farts need to get off your high horse. You was all young once. I agree the constannt shouting of the C*nt can be toned down and i will try and help this situation. I also take on board what you are saying cyclops and i agree perhaps we should leave the pub earlier to ensure we get a place at the back. but designated seating does not exist, dud the stewards actually ask you to sit in the seat on the tickets? as i have never been told this... this is a forum for people to have discussion cyclopsm the wording at the end of your message is showing your lack of class. You wonder why we shout keyboard warriors and sing up gasroom at every occasion possible.

You think we are the only people who do what we do? every club has a younger generation who go for probably to many beers beforehand and act like we do...

• "You wonder why we shout keyboard warriors and sing up gasroom at every occasion possible"

Jesus Christ.......

• Tone it down and you can be a real asset the club.
    Show a bit of consideration to those around you - even more so
    Other clubs may have their dickheads - that is true - doesn't mean you have to choose to be the same - you could choose to be different and better than them.