Skip to content

Yob culture amongst our 'fans'

Comments

• @RITM you could well be right. I know at least two people who have taken their young children (3 in one case and 2 grandchildren in another) to Adams Park who have said they will not go back again due to the language.

• @banterking "It's a perfectly reasonable expectation for a fight to break out if Oxford fans are in the away end"

Why? If you're unable to be in the same vicinity as someone who supports a different football team without physicality assaulting them then I'd suggest you're a blight on the game and should never come to another game until you've learned how not to act like a total c**t

I've said it before, but it is to football's eternal shame that fan segregation is needed to prevent all hell breaking loose, and perpetuates the stigma that still exists today in certain people's minds about football fans

• Agreed Mr Plant

• Well said, Eric. I'm starting to feel that I want to revert to non-league! No doubt Andy Worboys can confirm that fans at non-league matches rarely, if ever, behave in the way that a small but possibly growing number of our own "fans" do.

• You are always going to get a tiny minority of idiots in a football club. By giving them the attention they crave by moaning in forums like this only prolongs their existence. Treat them with the contempt they deserve...

• I'm not sure reverting to non-league is the answer. I'd rather have a few idiots supporting us at Fratton Park than have away days at Guiseley.

• Yeah, that's why there were no hooligans before the internet was around!

• I like to think that I was ever so slightly "tongue in cheek" @bill_stickers ! @Greg makes a very good point. Enough has probably been said about the subject now.

• @MBS You're being ageist to both young people and older people. You're being sexist in implying that a "young girl" can't lead a team. I presume you have no knowledge of prior experience and skills of any of the individuals you are talking about so you are effectively judging them based on appearance. I'm not being overly PC in my view. You could have just said "they are not good at their jobs" but your implication is they are bad at their jobs because of their age or sex and that is plain wrong.

• I'd have thought Wycombe fans above most others would be more than tolerant of other teams fans being close by. Those who followed the club before league football would have regularly sat or stood with rival fans. Indeed I've stood with Colchester fans at Adams Park before the big stand went in (it didn't end that well so maybe not the best example).

Maybe those who have never watched football with segragation are less tolerant but fighting should never be an acceptable option. Just goes to show the moronic nature of some of our younger fanbase. It may not surprise anyone to know I've had enough of them. They are a stain on our football club.

• Is it possible ones denying anyone was pissing in public and causing trouble were probably the ones pissing in public and causing trouble?
    (it's not a lie about the ones I saw on the way to AP because I SAW them!!)

• I'll take @Wendoverman s word for it

• I can stand everyone except for the one moron who spends 99% of away games screaming at fellow supporters to 'sing up, you might at well be at home'. This is directed at everyone from pensioners, clearly exhausted after a marathon coach journey to Carlisle, to fathers with screaming children who have a few other things on their minds other than to encorage that 'c**' Easter to 'f*** off' for 20 mins straight or to remind Woody how 'overweight' (cumbersome?) he is.

Anyone know who this guy is and why he feels the need to spend most of every away match doing this?

• @AttitudeEra said:
    I can stand everyone except for the one moron who spends 99% of away games screaming at fellow supporters to 'sing up, you might at well be at home'.

That man is a total arse. If people want to sit quietly and enjoy the game, who is he to demand otherwise. He's just celebrating himself, not supporting the team.

And this total guff about making noise bringing results. Do people genuinely believe it makes a blind bit of difference? I've seen teams out sing us while winning, losing and drawing.

Fair play to those who want to have a sing and dance and likewise to those that don't.

• I know who you mean, believe his name is Den. Stands with the yobs, but is actually in his 50s, so it's not just younger fans who have trouble behaving with common decency.

The dog's abuse him and his cronies were giving Wood at Carlisle was absolutely shocking. Obviously the irony that he had opened the scoring with an expertly guided header was completely lost on them.

Wood's been treated unfairly by fans all season, the terrible performances in the last 2 months in his absence show just how much we miss him.

• @chairboy12 if you've ever seen a FB clip of "the main lot" going by train to games, then I think "drunken chavs" is about as perfect a description as you'll get.

I pity any randoms who have the misfortune of being amongst them

• edited May 2016

@DevC
    I would personally punish the mob by getting you to give them a lecture.

That'd sort them out ;-)

• The problem this mob is growing, we as the older generation must stand against them, problem is they intimidate many

• They're about as intimidating as One Direction.

• Maybe you sir could have a word, as i surely do not want to confront 20 plus yobs throwing beer and ask them to politelt stop, when every other word feck

• "They're about as intimidating as one direction" the funniest thing I have seen in ages

• Wycombelad is a compulsive liar. Oops

• @banterking said:
    It's a perfectly reasonable expectation for a fight to break out if Oxford fans are in the away end and were already frustrated about the game and how the season has ended.

Err no it isn't a reasonable expectation for a fight to start just because a few fans want to support their team and had to resort to going in the away end (some years back I had to resort to getting tickets in the Oxford stand - old ground - when we sold out our allocation)

Fighting should not be tolerated - it isn't an expression of passion it's just mindless. Watch the Hillsboro documentary. Behaviour you've just accepted was at the root of everything that happened

• @wearetheyouth said:
    Wycombelad is a compulsive liar. Oops

This is distasteful in the extreme on an issue threatening to stop loyal fans going, when ive been a fan longer than you have probably been alive, show some decency

• @wycombelad Maybe rather than hiding behind the gas room, you should speak to the group in question? Pretty sure if the group could see who it's affecting and the reasoning behind it all they would be more likely to change/tone down behaviour rather than a petty website where it's all anonymous.I imagine all will be at the pre season games, Maidenhead away being the first! Also what relevance is it that you've supported the club longer than I've been alive? Doesn't make it anymore your club than mine?

• @wycombelad not specifically saying you should speak/challenge the group personally but all of us sharing our opinions over this group where I assume a small percentage of the so called 'yobs' or 'drunk chavs' have access/accounts on seems slightly pointless.

• @croider Oh, yes I'm familiar with that guy. He's permanently drunk which probably doesn't help.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just a thought but if all the morons were banned I think a better more positive and supportive atmosphere would be generated by those who up to now have become frustrated by the purile, abusive chanting from the vocal few at the moment.

I have no sympathy for them what so ever. They make every away trip I make a nightmare and I am very often embarassed to support the same team. A job or a Uni degree is not guarantee of common sense and respect for others. Both of these are severely missing from the drones. The larger more respectful fan base needs to make sure they are put back in their box and never to darken the name of our club again.

Ban them all. I think you'd be surprised what happens.

Your saying fans should be banned for abusive chanting? You realise how ridiculous that sounds don't you?

• edited May 2016

@wearetheyouth There is a difference between witty chanting (including swearing) which pokes fun at the opposition or even our own team, and outright abuse.

Someone who calls the opposition goalkeeper a c**t for 90 minutes every match should be banned, yes.

• Agreed bill_stickers, seems the children have invaded a decent forum and ruined it.