Skip to content

Yob culture amongst our 'fans'

Comments

• I disagree Peter.

Wycombe supporters were some of the best behaved in our division, I have seen a few things that suggest this is drifting away amongst a minority and posts on here suggest this is becoming more common. That should not be allowed to continue.

While I agree the vast majority do not need to be told how to behave, a few, perhaps 10-15 perhaps 50-100, may well do. it strikes me as only fair to them to make it clear to them they are skating on thin ice before banning them and I certainly wouldn't feel patronised by a well worded statement advising me that all supporters are expected to behave precisely how I intended to anyway, particularly if I felt it may improve the experience for all.

• Sorry Chris, should really think about sending my posts via yourself for approval. Have you worked a way out yet as to how this can be done??

• @peterparrotface Most of us don't need to be told how to behave, we know not to shout out "Easter is a c***", we know not to tell fellow supporters to F Off when they ask us not to block their view. Are you really defending the people that think these type of actions are acceptable and normal?

• Quite happy to critique your drafts before you submit them if you'd like :)

• @doob I'm not defending that at all. I'm saying deal with those people.

Announcements from the Trust would draw attention to our supporters behaviour which is entirely unfair on the 99% of perfectly behaved fans.

• On my way to the ground for the Accrington game, three shouty teenage Wycombe fans waving cans were openly pissing up an alleyway whilst angrily calling out a couple of equally hammered, but more jolly, Stanley fans. Perhaps it's the new club style...

• Interesting Doob to note your comments about standing up in seated areas. This occurs a lot now and it caused some serious aggro between our supporters at Wembley. I remember a fight nearly breaking out in front of us as a result of people standing and a Dad asking nicely if they could sit down so his young boys could see. He was met with dogs abuse and this very nearly turned violent. Across the rows I again saw a Dad walking down to the front asking if they would sit down for exactly the same reasons. He was met with a blunt refusal and some choice remarks. The age group involved in the standing were 30 and under I would say. ( Being ageist I know.) It's happened at Aston Villa and Portsmouth as well, just to name a couple more. I look at Premier Grounds and a huge amount stand in seated areas, so it's pretty obviously an accepted thing to do. It doesn't help the older fans or the youngsters at big games. I suppose it's just the way of the World now. I am pretty sure that some youngsters would be put off by not being able to see, but hey ho, the I'm AlrightJack don't give a monkeys.

• I wasn't at Oxford. There seems some disagreement over the beer throwing and fighting accusations. Can anyone there provide a measured assesment of what went on please?

• I am sorry to learn of the alleged bad behaviour of a minority of our young fans at a number of away games this season. I stand behind the goal as old as I am & join in many of the songs cutting out the f & c words. I do feel that our stewards need to have a word with certain individuals & if they carry on then much stronger action should be taken by the club.

I am convinced that Safe Standing German style is the answer. This gives fans of all ages, a proper choice on how they prefer to watch/ support their team. I truly believe that this system will be easier to police.

With regard to banter some of the stuff I hear is very funny, sadly some of it is pathetic. To those fans who know me have a fantastic summer.

• As a self confessed oldie who is tearing what's left of his hair out with the nonsense being spouted on Facebook by some of our younger supporters it would be very tempting to go along with the let's give everyone a list of dos and don'ts brigade but unfortunately outside of the obvious no nos in someone's conduct I don't think it's my job to tell them how to support the club so basically if they want to be a dick...

• Unfortunately the little mob who act up are amongst the most loyal, so you don't want to discourage them too much, you just want to gently point out that being anywhere near them is an utter misery :-)

Maybe they'll grow up as they enter their early to mid 20s.

• Why so soft @Malone ? The 'little mob' are either absolute morons or sidekicks desperate to be accepted by the morons. Their behaviour has no place in any form of society and they should be more respectful of the other fans of our club. I don't care how loyal they are. They don't support the team for more than 10 mins a game and bring the club in to disripute.

• True, but I suppose like most things it's only a very small minority, and the sort of fans willing to spend time travelling to Carlisle and other outposts don't grow on trees.

• The way some of you talk about these people is actually disgraceful at times "drunk chavs" . These people have well respected jobs and university degrees. The allegations of fighting are complete lies, as is the throwing of beer on pensioners. People should be careful what they wish for, because if all these people are banned, there will be zero atmosphere at Wycombe games. As for standing, the language people use in defence is totally not acceptable, however you will find that every club in the country has fans who stand in seated areas so really is just the norm nowadays hence the stewards do nothing to prevent it

• Chairboy 12...drunk chavs is an excellent description of some of the morons I have seen. Thank goodness idiots like them are in the minority. If the chav element is banned well you know it might actually improve the atmosphere, as most of the time they are an embarrassment...you will not know what the support was like 25 years ago will you.

• @chairboy12 said:
    These people have well respected jobs and university degrees ... People should be careful what they wish for, because if all these people are banned, there will be zero atmosphere at Wycombe games.

Don't want to piss on your parade or anything but university degrees are not quite the signifier you think they are. And what is a 'well respected job' exactly? Are some of these folk practising at the bar rather than falling over at it?

If atmosphere is now defined as some inebriated loser screaming 'c**t' at any ex-player, I'll take it without please.

• These comments about People going around pissing in public are false, I have attended every away game except York and mob around with these so called "yobs", I can't believe you can lie just because your trying to zone out a few lads that clearly have a better time then you do just to get them banned for supporting their club different to you, selfish. As @chairboy12 said there will be no atmosphere if you was to ban the "yobs" in the terrace because your zombie like support couldn't even start up the chair boys barmy army song with 3,000 people and we can start any chant with 10 people shows what contribution you have to an atmosphere UTW!

• 'your' support? Which team do you support, Aaron?

• I can confirm that my father in his 70s got caught up and drenched in the beer throwing and we also had to try and exit the stand with people throwing punchs and pushing each other in yhe concourse. These are facts.

• There is no doubt in my mind that there is an element of the fanbase who need to grow up a little.

Saying that, I'm also old enough (and young enough) to remember being on the other end of this debate in the late 90s and many of those fans are the diehards and stalwarts of the club today.

Finding the balance between encouraging a little more decorum without losing passion for the club is something that has to be carefully thought through.

• Interesting that people can categorically deny that not a single Wycombe fan pissed up a fence or threw beer at some point during Saturday in Oxford.

Are you some kind of all-seeing, all-knowing entity? Did you accompany every single one of the 1,000+ Wycombe fans around the town all day?

• All seeing deities more like, Bill.

• Pathetic post. 1. It's a perfectly reasonable expectation for a fight to break out if Oxford fans are in the away end and were already frustrated about the game and how the season has ended.2. Half of what's being said here is slander and probably never happened or is over exaggerated.3. I've been to away games and all the 'yobs' stand at the back allowing people who don't wish to stand/ can't stand to sit down and see the game sitting in front of them.

• Doubt whether the Oxford fans, alleged to be in the away section, "were already frustrated about the game......" @banterking.

• edited May 2016

Banter king said...
    " I've been to away games and all the 'yobs' stand at the back allowing people who don't wish to stand/ can't stand to sit down and see the game sitting in front of them."

Obviously not the case at Portsmouth, though.

• Slander is oral not published. Something can be exaggerated but not over exaggerated. 5 out of 10. Must try harder!

• @aaron_vere I can assure that my comment about seeing Wycombe fans pissing in public was true.

• And here lies the dilemma. It is true that much of the atmosphere is created by those who at times misbehave. It would be a shame to lose this. But that does not give them carte blanche to behave unacceptably damaging the reputation of those around them and spoiling their enjoyment on the day. That simply doesn't follow.

I hope those involved can be persuaded to moderate their behaviour - continue the passion but avoid the excesses - continue the atmosphere but avoid the gratuitous offence. IF the posts from some seeking to justify such behaviour are typical of that group, then I am not confident.

If not, and having had fair warning from the club authorities, with great regret I suspect the club will have to prioritise its good reputation over the atmosphere these lads create and some will need to be made an example of. Which would be a great shame.

• Some interesting comments here. Banterking was obviously not at Portsmouth to witness 'yobs' standing in front of supporters who wished to sit. Aaron_vere is obviously omnipresent since he hasn't witnessed 'pissing', therefore it hasn't happened.

• Just a thought but if all the morons were banned I think a better more positive and supportive atmosphere would be generated by those who up to now have become frustrated by the purile, abusive chanting from the vocal few at the moment.

I have no sympathy for them what so ever. They make every away trip I make a nightmare and I am very often embarassed to support the same team. A job or a Uni degree is not guarantee of common sense and respect for others. Both of these are severely missing from the drones. The larger more respectful fan base needs to make sure they are put back in their box and never to darken the name of our club again.

Ban them all. I think you'd be surprised what happens.