Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Steve Arnold signs for Shrewsbury. The goalie that got away.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Steve Arnold signs for Shrewsbury. The goalie that got away.

Perhaps a bit strong considering his circuitous path to where he is today. Good on him though.

• Agreed. Best of luck to him but I’d rather have Allsop.

• Jerell Sellers signed for Ostersunds today.

• Great stuff @Aok84.

• I see that Josh Laurent who moved from the Wycombe youth system to QPR in 2012 has signed for Shrewsbury. According to the generally reliable Wikipedia he is 23 and a 6’2” midfielder.

• It's a shame the Headington name changers can offer this unusually named chap academy football.

Congratulations to Slavi Spasov U16s, who has put pen to paper and signed for Oxford United Academy. We have very http://www.wwset.co.uk/uncategorized/wwfc-get-another-player-signed/

• 'unusually named' ? Slavi is short for Stanislav, and Spasov is a not un-common name in Bulgaria/Macedonia. I don't know how long Slavi and his family have been in the area, but I think we should applaud that wwset supports enthusiastic footballers and transcends national and cultural boundaries.

• Congratulations, you won today's faux outrage award

• Whatever !

• I may be wrong, but I believe that Mr Harps was referencing the apparent ‘U16s’ part of the surname...

• I think you’re right @Ned_Ludd but.(here I go again) whatever happened to “referring to”? Old fashioned and insufficiently American I suppose.

• @micra Despite being someone who is both old-fashioned and insufficiently American, I don’t know.

• I don’t think there’s any indication that “referencing” is an American usage, is there?

• I don't think it's specifically American, but I do think that it doesn't seem quite right as used above.

My view is that what Mr. Harps was "referencing" was the article on the WWSET website and that his "unusually named chap" comment was "referring to" or "making reference to" the name as it appears in the referenced article.

• Hi @Chris ! I’ve no idea whether “referencing” came across the Atlantic but it’s only relatively recently come into common usage and is ugly enough to make me suspect that it did.

@Uncle_T has smashed it.

• I see.. I had not realised Mr. Harps was somebody who usually picked up on such matters.

• I think we need to reference VAR on this issue...

• @micra Oh dear! I hope he has adequate insurance.

• Is that a reference to @Malone’s driving (referred to by @drcongo on the Pre Season Friendlies thread)?

• Sorry, I’ve done it myself. I meant the @rmjlondon thread.

• No. Whatever it is that @Uncle_T has smashed...

• Gotcha!

• Ingram given the number 1 shirt by QPR for this season. Eze number 10.

• My QPR supporting pal says they have a whole host of Eze like players in the development set up. The job we did on him last season is well acknowledged so fingers crossed the M40 will soon have a mk2 model on its way.

• Blackman on a season loan to Leeds

• Alfie Mawson coming back to London at Fulham.

• Indeed - I was briefly getting excited about the sell-on clause (mercenary I know) before remembering that he was never actually our player. Doh. Anyway, good luck Alfie.

• edited July 2018

He was definitely our player for that season, even if he was never our player.

• He'll always be 'our' player. Even if the short-sighted board failed to make sure the loan agreement would include a million pounds for wycombe if he played in the Premier League. The fools.