Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Maybe @eric_plant but maybe it's time to exaggerate a bit. Maybe it can be in honour of Harry Kane saying England can win the World Cup.

• I don't think it's hype and everyone is going over the top. I only saw him a couple of times but he seemed like a tidy player, when he came on but as others have pointed out...he might be worth a punt for Beano's berth...but we've not seen enough to be sure.

• Gareth has barely been wrong on any players in the last few years, so if he backs him, that'll be enough for me for sure.
    Just that he struck me as a squad fill player to get us over the line as cover, rather than a guy who would be a main player.

• Agree with both sentences @Malone .

• @Malone while I appreciate we're all in a very positive frame of mind about Gareth Ainsworth at the moment I'm not entirely sure you can justify saying he's barely been wrong on any players. What about Max Muller, WDH, Nathan McGinley, Alex Williams, Dayle Southwell, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Sellers, Danny Rowe, Alex Jakubiak, Gozie Ugwu, Rowan Liburd, Jerrell Sellars, Myles Weston, Jason Banton, Stewart Lewis, Hogan Ephraim and, not least, Nathan Evans (lol)?

• McGinn was a decent player, just didn’t fit our style.

Danny Rowe was good for us and left due to personal issues.

Myles Weston looked good to me and was surprised we let him go.

Stewart Lewis was ok at what he did. Didn’t he predate Ainsworth anyway?

Nathan Evans was a forced signing from a pool of non-league quality players as part of the Samsung sponsorship.

• McGinley wasn't as bad as was decided in my opinion...but surely most of the above were fringe players or loans that Gareth gave a chance to. (Weston was worth it just for the Spurs cross for Thomson alone.) Banton looked a decent punt but fell short as he has everywhere since, McGinn is doing okay elsewhere, Rowe had potential, none of the above cost us success though did they?

• @Wendoverman I don't disagree with any of your points but the fact remains that, other than a few decent matches for McGinn, Weston and Rowe, none of them could really be considered successes. It was a bold statement of @Malone's that deserved a little cross-examination...

• Gareth Ainsworth is a hugely impressive manager for many reasons but one of his key strengths since becoming manager is his record in the transfer market

To suggest otherwise is blatant nonsense

• @aloysius I would suggest that in most of those cases - perhaps the farce of Evans aside - on paper none of those signings would present themselves as a potential disaster, Gaz must have seen potential but they just didn't work out. None of them cost us an arm and a leg and impoverished the club or cost us a promotion. When it counts I think Gareth's record is pretty good.

• GA is yet to sign a Lambert, Farrell or a Conforth. Lots of money and don't deliver......

• @aloysius, i think @Wendoverman makes the response I would have.

I don't really consider players brought in to beef the numbers up, like loanees and the Ugwu's as him being wrong. They are simple low risk, fill an immediate need, high potential prize stuff. Cheap youngsters not expected to start are similar.

Banton and Southwell I'd pick as players he was wrong on. El Abd would have been in there until the autumn for sure.

• Even with Banton he only took a calculated risk in the hope that he could achieve what countless other managers had failed to achieve, namely unlock the lads potential. There are many seemingly talented youngsters, who, whether due to lack of application, desire or other reason, fail to achieve what they should, Banton and Holloway being two prime examples.

• I suspect if players, however talented, are perceived as being half-hearted, they get sidelined quite swiftly. I bet Dean Morgan put him off that sort of player. Rowe I think showed glimpses, but never really cemented a proper position. Perhaps Southwell was a mistook, but he certainly did not suit a wide role.

• Southwell, as well as Hayes to some extent, as injuries were quickly ravaging him anyway, were just completely marginalised by the impact of the Beast.
    Southwell trying to perform in the wide forward positions did him no favours in the slightest, whereas Hayes put in some awful performances there.

• An average striker having to play in a wide position will show still show some goal threat. Southwell did nothing whatsoever to indicate he could be effective down the middle.

He gave his all in terms of effort, but unfortunately was not anywhere near league standard.

• Southwell was well worth the risk in my opinion. He was unlucky that when his goal came he got injured straight away. He was an interesting striker in some ways as he rarely got a chance to miss. He simply never seemed to get chances. Good strikers make their own chances etc etc but I do wonder if he was a better player than we saw if played right.

• I’m certain he was (and is) @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. Little doubt that “his time will come”.

• If WIKI is right, 7 goals for relegated Guiseley in 18 games is not bad. Still only 24. Reasonable chance that one of the northern conference proper teams will pick him up in summer - Harrogate perhaps?

• Our favourite ex-player who has never actually played for us, Colin Daniel, has signed for Peterboro...

• Elliott Benyon today signs for Nikki Bull’s Leatherhead.

• Ex-Chairboys loanee Bruno Andrade has signed for Lincoln City.

• Matt McClure has had his contract at Aldershot extended until the end of next season.

• See Jordan Archer made his International debut for Scotland in their 2-0 defeat in Peru while Matty Phillips also played.

• Not sure if he counts as an explayer, but Henry 'Hideaway' Newcombe has signed for Margate.

• Billy Knott, still only 25 and a native of Canvey Island, has signed for Concord Rangers.

• Thats a great signing for them

• Looks like they see it as more a way of helping him through his problems. Lets hope they are successful. http://www.concordrangers.co.uk/message-from-the-chairman/

• I did wonder what had happened to Ant.
    Seriously though, it sounds like good news and let’s hope it leads to happier times for Billy and his family.

• Thinking of forming a glamrock band with El Abd I understand