Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Well not quite, eh? Don’t recall average gates of 600 at Loakes Park.

• Steven Taylor listed by Peterborough.

Now there's a thought......

• He has ruptured his Achilles tendon twice in the last 6 years, was out with a serious hamstring injury for 4 months this season and is 32. We already have Stewart regularly injured so I don't think we need another injury prone player Dev.

• No Robin its not at all like us. I went to Boreham Wood in the 80's to see us in the Isthmian League they could hardly muster 200 in those days. they have hardly moved on. But it's another club that once the money runs out will fall away.

• Steven Taylor arguably one of the best players to ever represent the mighty Blues

• The injuries would be a massive issue, but being 32 wouldn't!

• He played over 50 games this season. Not bad for someone "injury prone"

• Presumably not available on a free having been transfer listed by Peterborough (as well as a number of other players including Grant and Morias.)

• Has a year left on contract. Doubt if fee would be the problem, wages might be

• @DevC said:
    He played over 50 games this season. Not bad for someone "injury prone"

Sorry, misread his injury record got the years wrong.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-taylor/verletzungen/spieler/17273

• Paul Hayes released by Newport.

• Simon Church has retired on medical advice.

• Hayesy to Newport really didn't work did it. Having to wait ages to be eligible, and then released 6months later wow.

• Worked if he was getting paid for sitting about. Career-wise not so much.

• Didn’t work if he was sitting about.

• @micra getting paid for sitting about is my dream.

• @Malone said:
    Hayesy to Newport really didn't work did it. Having to wait ages to be eligible, and then released 6months later wow.

He was injury prone that's why we agreed to release him with his injury record in the last 2 seasons i was amazed he got another League 2 club to take him on.

• Mutually agreeing Paul Hayes departure and reinvesting his salary on other playing personnel seems to have been a positive for Wycombe.

As for whether featuring in 13 matches since Christmas and scoring 3 goals is considered a poor return on what they were expecting, I'll leave that to Newport County and Hayes himself to decide.

• Did we ever get to the bottom of whether we paid him off, and were happy to see him slope of into some lower tier..only to a few weeks later see him sign for a rival? When we could have just given him the direct route without a payoff?

Doesn't really matter now, but seemed most odd at the time.

• Didn't he sign for someone for a couple of weeks (Hemel Hempstead? Leighton Town?) before he went to Newport?

• Yes. That was what added the slight controversy to it.

• Danny Rowe released from York a year early.

shame he hasn't fulfilled his early potential.

• Rowe is an odd one. He was tremendous in his first few loan spells, keeping Stewart out of the first team. It is definitely a shame it hasn’t worked out (yet.)

• Outstanding when we were struggling near the bottom in the near relegation season. Decent at times after.

I wonder if as expectations grew, output simply didn't match it?

• I still think he should have stuck at centre back. He was much more suited to that than in midfield. He was a great talent.

• Do you not remember the home game v Northampton or Barnet away ?
    Rowe simply not tougher enough to be a lower division centre half.

• Sometimes players just fall out of love with football and their performances show. Whatever he does I hope it goes well as he was a decent guy whenever he was about the club.

• Agree totally with @chasharps there. You need to be much tougher to play centre back. Pierre, Stewart, McCarthy, Bates, Evans, Crossley, Creaser, El Abd - even Mawson, all very tough physical units.

Rowe seemed the classic utility to me, and they can often go the way he did, never first choice anywhere, so struggle to get regular consistent runs.

• Nikki Bull announced as player/manager of Leatherhead

• Bruno Andrade equalises for Boreham Wood on stroke of half time.