Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Congratulations to High Wycombe born and ex WWFC youth player Gavin James who has reached the Vase final With Thatcham Town.
    The St Vincent Int scored one of the goals in the semi final 2nd leg.

• Roger Johnson sent off for Bromley today.

• Bromley! Wow.

• Blackman sent off for Sheffield UTD.

• Best wishes to Ray Wilkins, hope it all turns out OK for him.

• I understand he had a fall and hit his head after his heart stopped. He was put into an induced coma in St George’s hospital in Tooting. Apparently he had a double heart bypass last year.
    We wish him well.

• Another goal for Eze today.

• sadly Ray didn't make it. RIP.

• Sad news, RIP Ray - he played in the first football match I ever went to - Chelsea v Wolves in 1977.

• I think I’m right in thinking that he played just one game for us. He said afterwards that it was a novel experience watching the ball sail back and forth over his head. Plus ça change.

• Yep at home to Luton in 1996 we lost 1-0.

• I remember that game well.
    A massive queue for his autograph, that I got bored of waiting in, so went and grabbed one from...Michael Mahoney Johnson instead.

A guy whose sole contribution to football was scoring 2 near identical goals away to Peterborough in a shocking 6-3 defeat. that basically ended Smith's spell here. Just 4 games after the Wilkins appearance.

• Indeed sad news, RIP.A footballing genius for Chelsea, Man It's and Wycombe.

As I recall in that game at Adams Park he had as many touches as I do on a match day, none - unless we are playing keepy uppy behind the goal.

• Just read that Kortney Hause has just signed a 3 year contract extension at Wolves with the option of another year,not bad for a player who's only played 4 times this season.

• We want Kortney to move on for a decent sum, so we can cash in on the assumed sell-on clause.

• There was a flurry of interest in Hause a few summers back, including from Red Bull Leipzig, with figures around 6m being suggested. Here's hoping a longer contract, more regular football next season, possibly in the Premiership, and his continued involvement with England U21s will see a nice big bid come in.

• Just saw Dannie Bulman and another Crawley player in the Costa Coffee in Cressex. Asked him to beat Exeter for us in a couple of weeks. He said they'll try.

• Crawley play Port Vale away tomorrow, so that seems a fairly odd place for him to pop up?

• edited April 2018

Conspiracy is a fluid and tricky area (but I am currently and pleasantly enjoying an OVD Rum influence).

• @Malone said:
    Crawley play Port Vale away tomorrow, so that seems a fairly odd place for him to pop up?

I know. We were trying to work out why he was there, but I didn't want to ask. I guess he still lives nearby? The other player was Joe McNerney I think. They were both in Crawley training gear, jackets, and tracksuits. Maybe the team coach was going up to Stoke tonight and picking them up from the bus station at Handy Cross?

• Myles Weston about to join the fray at Ebbsfleet.

• Distribution Dave Winfield winning a penalty, not something you'd think you will ever see.

• Now he has got a man sent off, in arguably one of the worst decisions you will ever see.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Now he has got a man sent off, in arguably one of the worst decisions you will ever see.

Ref jumped to the wrong conclusion seeing the tomato sauce around Winfields head!

• Steven Taylor sent off at the weekend for roughing up the penalty spot prior to a last minute Argyle penalty. No video sadly but apparently blatant.

Which gives me an excuse to post again the famous sniper incident.

• @DevC , didn't realise it was that. From the footage, I thought he was dismissed for really cynical hold up, just hanging around the area delaying things.

Didn't see any raking of pen spot.

• Trotta on BT sport playing for Crotone vrs juve

• Stephen McGinn has signed a new two year contract with St Mirren. The Scottish Championship probably suits his style better as he was very lightweight in Division 2. Surprisingly he is their captain as well.

• St Mirren are in the SPL from next season - Stephen will be potentially facing his two younger brothers (one currently with Hibs, the other with Partick).

• Very pleased for the guy.