Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Surely you would agree that if a side reached a semi final then by definition they are contenders?

We've won two of those very recently. I sense you're not too bothered whether the international side do well or not, fair enough, but you must be able to see that they have been on an upward trajectory for a number of years now. I think we have an excellent chance of winning trophies in the next 6-8 years

• Reminds me of a bar I accidentally ended up in last time I was in Amsterdam.

• I suppose it's how you look at it. In the Netherlands route, either them, Romania or Turkey (based on when they played Holland) HAD to make the semis. So in a sense that they were in the final four, yes they were "officially" a contender, but if you just took the best teams from the tournament, they were all in the other half of the draw. I don't think anyone in our half would have likely beaten Spain, Germany, France or Portugal. I actually liked Austria the best in our half, but they couldn't get by Turkey.

As far as our trajectory, I do think Southgate did some really good things, however much I didn't like the cautious style (and feel it cost us at least one tournament win) - he took England from an absolute laughing stock post-Iceland and post-Allardyce and brought dignity and unity to the England set up, which is no mean feat. Euro 2020 was a good tournament until the final, and he can only beat what is in front of him, however kind the draws were - irrespective of the routes, there is now a sense of expectancy that we can play in finals. There are aspects of his time which I think we are going to get away from to our detriment (I don't think Tuchel will be able to maintain the kind of environment Gareth did).

I still think England have some kind of fundamental mental block which is going to cost us, but I suppose we can pick over the bones of that the summer after next if that turns out to be true. Either way, even if we look amazing in the build up, I am already giving England a pass for not winning WC 26 because I think it will simply be too hot.

• Southgate did a fantastic job making us contenders in competition even if some might say he was too cautious. If Tuchel can build on that we should be in the running for a trophy before long.

• I'd be interested to hear what people think about Wrexham possibly going in the Welsh league cup so that they can get into Europe. Evidently other teams are unhappy, as it blocks their own opportunity, and I am with them - surely if you are not playing in the Welsh league, you should not be allowed in the Welsh cup?

• As someone who has sweated through many World Cups I think the climate is definitely a negative factor for England. However it doesn't mean they can't win. Sports science has come a long way since we travelled by steam ship to Brazil and ate steak pre match to give the players strength. As you point out, two of the last three wcs outside Europe have been won by European teams. Furthermore every losing finalist (outside Europe) since the first WC in 1930 has been European.

• Something about Welsh teams playing in English football and English teams (Berwick) playing in Scottish football.

Eventually it will be be Earth versus other planets but probably not in my lifetime.

• The Scottish FA will probably block a united Earth team 😉

• Playing in the EFL and the Welsh Cup is a bit of having cake and eating it isn't it? If they were in the Welsh League they would possibly qualify for Europe every year.

Have they asked about the B&B Cup?

• At least "world class" would be more definable then! Though I think we will lose to the first contender we face, probably in the Dagoba System.

• Very good points. Hopefully England do win - it is more just a case of seeing it as a mitigating factor for me if they struggle.

I hadn't thought to check how many stadiums are climate controlled, too - at least Los Angeles and Dallas will be.

• What would the Earth team look like with current players?

Best XI (4-3-3 Formation)

Goalkeeper:

Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid / Belgium)

Defenders:

Achraf Hakimi (Paris Saint-Germain / Morocco) - Right Back

Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool / Netherlands) - Center Back

Ruben Dias (Manchester City / Portugal) - Center Back

Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich / Canada) - Left Back

Midfielders:

Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City / Belgium) - Central Midfielder

Luka Modric (Real Madrid / Croatia) - Central Midfielder

Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid / England) - Central Midfielder

Forwards:

Lionel Messi (Inter Miami / Argentina) - Right Wing

Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain / France) - Left Wing

Erling Haaland (Manchester City / Norway) - Striker

Hmmm.....

• Swap Messi out for Kone, obviously.

• Better than when Chris Waddle played in the Dragoverthebar System

Am I right guys?

Guys??

• Much as I hate Man City, I would have Rodri in there as the best DM on earth. Even those eight legged Octoquarks from the planet Zworple would have trouble getting by him.

• Messi wouldn't qualify as he isn't an Earth sign.

• The Welsh league teams always used to play in the Welsh cup as in fact did quite a few English teams based close to the border although I believe the latter weren’t eligible for the Cupwinners Cup if they won it.

Ask the Welsh league clubs what they want to happen. Suspect quite a few would welcome the money to be made from drawing Cardiff in the national cup.

• That's right. I'm sure Chester, Hereford and Salop have won it in my lifetime.

• edited October 18

I reckon SC Herford from Germany should try to enter for a laugh and see if the FAW notice.

• Cardiff City have won the Welsh Cup on 22 occasions and reached the semi-final of the European Cup Winners Cup in May 1968. The opposition in that semi-final was HSV Hamburg, with over 43,000 attending the home leg at Ninian Park.

• More importantly they've just beaten Rooney 5-0. Arf.

• Jack Young has scored for Dorking.

• Portsmouth lead QPR 2-1. If it stays like this, Rangers go bottom.

It's funny - GA had a bad time there and you couldn't really argue against his sack, but their fans will defend the new chap to the hilt despite being bottom, evidently because he has made them more easy on the eye, or something.

• So glad Gareth is out of that circus, I can go back to enjoying their woefulness.

Hopefully we can give them a wave on the way up as they sink a tier.

• Jack Young scored 2 for Dorking and they nearly lost, but for a late equaliser!

• Horndean return to winning ways, 4-2 against Rayners Lane, and Birmy gives his post-match interview with a pot of Sudocrem on his head.

https://x.com/Horndean_FC/status/1847685115788357828?t=NiJVPATPnMFivQIeq8p5uA&s=19

• I thought you'd gone 'whimsy' but no, he really does have a pot of cream on his head.