Skip to content

Other Football

1318319320321322324»

Comments

• I think you need to produce evidence that you are of Anglo-Saxon blood!

• edited 5:03PM

I don't think England have much of a chance in the next WC either way, partly because it is going to be here in North America, and absolutely roasting hot. Until fairly recently, the only South American team to have won in Europe was Brazil (Sweden in 1958) and no European teams won outside Europe (I think I am right in this) until Spain in South Africa in 2010, quickly followed by Germany in Brazil in 2014. In short, European teams don't historically travel well for WCs.

Beyond that, there is simply no way England keep getting delicious, soft muffins of a draw like three out of the last four. That was a historical run of luck that statistically would seem improbable of continuing.

The thing I am most interested in is if Tuchel becomes the first England manager in forever to avoid square pegs in round holes, and resists the urge to shoe horn all of the attacking talent into one team.

I am going to stick my neck out and say that England will lose to the first serious contender they face (if they make it out of the group stages), like every knockout since 1966.

• Because short contract equals cheap and easy to fire