Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• And the record of scoring 2 or more goes on. I'd love to know what the record is for consecutive games scoring 2 or more. Oh wait, chat GPT....

"The record for scoring 2 or more goals in consecutive games from the start of a single EFL season is held by Peterborough United, who scored 2 or more goals in their first 15 consecutive matches at the beginning of the 2011-12 Championship season.

This remains the longest such streak for an EFL team from the start of a season"

• I wonder what the record for scoring exactly two goals in every league game is?

• The record for a team scoring exactly 2 goals in consecutive games from the start of an EFL (English Football League) season appears to be held by Coventry City, set during the 1963-64 season. They managed to score exactly 2 goals in their first 10 consecutive matches that season.

Coventry City was in the Third Division at the time, and this run helped them towards a successful promotion campaign under manager Jimmy Hill.

If you're referring to a more recent or updated record, I would need to check for any new developments in the statistics

• If you really think about it....

There are schools where parents pay for stupid people to have an education in the UK.

Stupid people get highly paid jobs.

The only way to correct this is to make 'fee paying schools' illegal

• South Bucks from naphill to Beaconsfield is littered with these people

• Wycombe Wanderers against capatalism

• Which planet were you on before out of interest 🤔😂

• Every other solar system has irregular orbits

• That we have identified

• Extended highlights here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3mldK9sNA

Bez definitely fouling the keeper but Low being fouled on his run in to the box.

• Crikey, not only have you made my day with such kind words, you’ve really surprised and encouraged me about ‘the yoof of today’. Your posts are invariably thoughtful and well expressed and you come across as someone of more mature years.

From the second or third oldest Gasroomer (?) to one of (if not the) youngest, my grateful thanks.

• Joe Low said his post-match interview the ref told him he would have been given a penalty if he hadn’t have scored.

• edited September 29

Bez was not fouling the keeper. He’s not looking at him, he’s not touching him, the keeper has got himself into a terrible position that he can’t recover from, and Bez has used his strength to keep his position.

• Hmm, not so sure looking at the YouTube highlights. Whilst Bez wasn't "looking"at him, he appeared to be pushing backwards. Difficult one to call, however we were owed one from the Villa game. 🤷‍♂️

• It will be interesting to see which line up is selected for Tuesday night. With Fred getting fitter, Dan Udoh probably back plus Sadlier and Leahy looking for starts. We could possibly start with Josh, GMAc and Kone on the bench.

Rav

Grimmer, Low, Taylor, Harvie

Humphries, Butcher, Leahy

Fred, Udoh, Sadlier.

Subs;- GMac, Morley, Scowen, Skura, Kone, Bez, George,

• I think Humphries will be rested. He's very young and needs to be protected and we have strength in that area.

• You can clearly see him backing in to the keeper and the keeper moving back 1-2 yards in the extended highlights. Bez is not stationary

• @LX1 Pcp or similar...

• Humphreys was also building up his fitness following injury when he joined.

Leahy had quite a bad knee injury that kept him out for a few weeks if I recall correctly.and is therefore unlikely to start. To be honest, I think he has slipped down the pecking order slightly following the arrival of Fred and the two wonderkids but, saying that, he is one of the best loved characters at the club and must be a major contributor to the great team spirit that seems to permeate the current squad.

The fluency, confidence and smiling happiness of Matt Bloomfield’s post match interviews are in stark contrast with those of a great deal of last season.

Happy days.

• Without doubt this is the strongest squad in terms of quality and depth since I’ve been following the club. Clearly the new owner has invested heavily in the training ground and the setting up of the academy. Also he has backed Bloomfield in the acquisition of players, which has clearly cost money.Just wondering how much pressure Bloomfield is under to deliver this season.

• Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but why was Bakinson booked for over celebrating (lol) when it was Bez who grabbed their corner flag?

• Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but why was Bakinson booked for over celebrating (lol) when it was Bez who grabbed their corner flag?

• Presumably mistaken identity. Which follows quite a pattern given he was unable to correctly tell which side had committed a foul for much of the match.

• Not sure why you feel the need to highlight this as blocking, holding, pushing, shirt pulling etc goes on unpunished at every single corner and other set pieces. Looked to me as though Low was pushed in the back as he jumped to head the ball which actually gave him greater momentum.

• edited September 29

I’m getting dangerously overexcited.

When (sorry, if) we beat Barnsley on Tuesday evening and provided Blackpool are held to a draw by Lincoln and Mansfield fail to win at Crawley, we move into 3rd place.

I still have a lingering fear of Stockport based on their recent meteoric rise, some very disappointing results against them earlier this century and those ill-chosen remarks by Paul Lambert to the effect that nothing had changed after they’d beaten us comfortably in the first leg of something. And their current position, of course.

Looking at the stats from their game at Barnsley last night, including 81 headed clearances shared between the two sides, they’ve not evolved into a slick passing outfit !

Did anyone watch the match last night and, if so, what impression did you get of what we might expect from either of those sides?

• ‘When, if, maybe’ @micra . Take it easy old son it’s a long old season and we need you on top form throughout.

Having now watched the extended highlights (Nostradamus commentary presumably added in post production) then Baz on the keeper for our second is very much in the ‘seen ‘em given category.

• After reading the Bristol Rovers match day thread I get the impression that a) they don’t like us and b) they don’t like their manager.

entertaining stuff and you can see why Joey liked it there.