Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

123457»

Comments

• edited 2:58PM

I feel Lambert was always unfairly maligned with that “it changes nothing” remark, because he was spot on.

It was said after a late equaliser in the 1-1 draw in the play off semi’s and I personally thought it was perfectly obvious he was saying “whether they scored that goal or not, it changes nothing in regards to our approach to the second leg at there place - we have to go there trying to win”.

But it got jumped on by everyone that only saw that it went from a win to a draw in a play off game, when in reality a one goal lead going into the away leg meant it may as well have been equal.

always been an example to me that football fans can rarely look at the bigger picture.

• edited 3:23PM

That Lambert quote is high up in the Wycombe related quote archives for me.

Alongside "silly little dream" and "don't worry about the money".

• We lost 6-0 away at Stockport that season and drew 0-0 at home.

A rousing call from Lambert and understand your take but I think we all knew the tie had turned hugely at that point.

• edited 4:09PM

100% correct. He so obviously meant "with regards to how we approach the 2nd leg" it's a bit cringe to have to keep explaining it to people who continue to willfully misunderstand

• edited 4:29PM

Miss post

• Can't imagine we've spent anywhere near as much as Brum or the Hollywood mob, we should be delighted with play offs or near, agree though don't think Blooms would have been allowed to have an awful start and be floating around 18-20th. Bit of credit for Blooms, he's done a marvellous job over the summer.

• The admittedly limited stats from the first 7/8 games, suggest that we might have the third, or even second, best squad in the league.

However, that should be tempered by the fact that our 4 wins have all come against teams in the lower half of the table. Against teams in the top half, our record is W 0, D 1, L 2.

So Tuesday night vs Barnsley, one place above us, is the real litmus test of where we are.

• Interesting post. I would caveat it by saying that Morley and Humphreys didn’t start in any of those games - we didn’t even have them at the club for the two losses, which were narrow losses anyway. I think they are two of the best midfielders I’ve ever seen at Wycombe. I really hope we keep them beyond January. They will be a huge loss if recalled! I’m sure the club has a plan for that circumstance.

• edited 5:41PM

If he really had said what you inferred I think most of us would have been fairly sanguine about it. If his words had made it abundantly clear that he was saying that the approach to the second leg would be no different to the approach at Adams Park, I don’t think those words would still be lying dormant in most people’s memory.

It could be of course that those were his words and that they were mischievously attenuated to give the impression that most of us had - ie that he was saying that our task in the second leg had not been made any more difficult. Journalists, eh? Given how much trouble we had in those days trying to cope with Stockport County’s extremely muscular approach, Paul Lambert’s words as I recall them, were ridiculous.

At a ‘meet the ex players’ session in the Woodland Lounge about eight years ago, Jermaine Easter, who joined Wycombe from Stockport County in January 2006, got a great laugh when he said that he honestly couldn’t understand what Lambert was saying half the time.

My opinion of Lambert was not helped when, on a fairly hot August day, walking the dog across the grassland of Holmer Green Sports and Social Club, I passed him coaching the first team squad. My cheery greeting was greeted in return with a blank stare. Things like that stick in the memory.

• edited 5:57PM

I agree with you on this one. Lambert was quite an insular, spiky character and there was real bitterness with Gannon at Stockport that season. We had a 0-6 deficit against them over the 2 league games so going 1-0 up in the playoffs was huge.

I can't believe we'd have gone there with the same game plan at 1-0 up then at 1-1 .His comment was a snappy response putting a brave face on it.

• Absolutely right and you can add Taylor and Fred to the list of players we didn’t have during the very early part of the season.

I think we are in for a good season but we will have the usual ups and downs. A play - off spot would be a massive achievement taking into consideration the strength of the teams in this league.

Brum should run away with it after spending £30M but I am not sure Wrexham will find it that easy this season. Yes Wrexham started really well but it is a massive jump from League 2 to and our league and I am confident we can beat them at AP.

• We’ve been here before. March 2012, with four wins in six and six goals in six games, Paul Hayes is recalled by Charlton Athletic and we fail to win any of our last eight games and get relegated.

I’m taking the approach that they will both be recalled in January and if they stay then it’s a big Brucey bonus.

I’m going to apply this to Caleb Taylor too because his stats yesterday were pure Beast Mode.

• edited 6:40PM

It’s weird. Because the 0-6 deficit really did mean nothing. Whatever happened in the league meant naught. Whatever happened in the first leg meant naught. That one goal literally meant nothing.

The full quote for him, btw, was:

"The goal changes nothing," he said. "If someone had come away from here with a four or five goal lead, then it would mean something."

All That mattered was the one off game of the second leg. That is the game and what actually mattered.

Nothing before. Nothing that day. Not that last minute goal. The only thing that mattered was the next game.

That goal really did change nothing.

• Yes, I mentioned Low in my original post.

Bez backing in to the keeper was very clear in Rovers extended highlights, sorry you feel the need to tell me what I can and can’t discuss on our forum.

• Turned? Having a 1 goal lead going to a place we got tonked by 6 would just mean we lost 6-1 if there was a repeat. With the equaliser, we would have lost 7-1 if there was a repeat.

The result in both scenarios? We lose. Ergo, that goal changes nothing (if the same thing happens the last time we went there)

• It mystifies me why a mild comment elicits such a tetchy response. Where did I tell you what you can and can’t discuss? I simply wondered why you chose to mention something that happens multiple times in every game. This time it benefited us, on countless occasions it has gone against us.

• You start your post with “Not sure why you feel the need to highlight this”.

Can’t be more clearer to me that you’re telling me I should not be discussing it.

• Barnsley's defence having a troubled sleep tonight

• Doesn’t make it a foul. He’s just adjusting his position. Anyway, the ref didn’t give it, and I’ve learnt from Eric this week that referees are always right.

• It’s very easy to be positive at the moment. Things are going very well for us. Bloomfield is sharpening-up tactically. There’s some excellent quality and outstanding depth to the squad. The brand of football is superb for the level. Our leaders are fantastic ambassadors for the football club. I love getting to see the glint in Bloomfield’s eyes after these wins - he looks so proud and he’s really growing as a manager. We’ve got a great blend of old and new; experience and youth. I think we’ve got a great chance of making playoffs.. This is the most excited I’ve been as a fan since we were top of League 1 in that momentous covid promotion season.

• edited 9:10PM

I keep forgetting we've also got players out injured. Early days I know but exciting season so far. I think Barnsley will be a tough one. Not sure any of us thought we would only be a game off the playoffs this early.

• I live in Stockport and had to go into work in Stockport on the Monday after the 6-0 - I really do wish it meant nothing but I still have nightmares about that day back in the office!

• edited 10:01PM

I commented earlier about Luke Leahy’s recent knee injury and the possibility that he might, at least temporarily, have slipped slightly down the pecking order.

I forgot to mention that I’d be very surprised if Josh Scowen doesn’t start. He made nearly 100 appearances for Barnsley between 2015 and 2017 and scored 10 goals. If, say, Jasper Pattenden gets another run out, he could even be skipper for the evening. (Scowen, not Pattenden!)

My biggest concern about Tuesday’s match is that, with all the rain expected over the next couple of days, the pitch could be a bit of a pudding (if not actually waterlogged) which would not be conducive to our slick passing style.

Was it last season that we won 3-0 up there?