Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• I was pointing out that the spokesmen for the owners have insisted that the manager is not under pressure to achieve a particular target. If the owner has his own view of where he thinks the first team should finish he has not made that public. I think this is a sensible approach because our previous owner was criticised for setting what many people believed to be unrealistic expectations.

• If I were the owner, then I would certainly be giving the manager a target and that target would be based on improving on last seasons 10th place finish. I do however appreciate your point regarding the previous owner.

• PJSPJS
    edited August 25

I do feel any expectations as to where we might finish this season have to be tempered by the astonishing amounts of money that have been spent by some of the teams in our division this season. Our new owners have said it is not their intention to compete with that and that’s a stance I am very happy with.

• I’m still comfortable with 10th as a finish. I think that’s par for us. My specific concern with the keeper is that we know we have a hole in the squad and we know it’s gonna be til the new year. So I would definitely get an experienced keeper in to help for six months. Not to replace but to challenge Rav. That has to be sensible

• They will have had discussions with the manager and set aims and a budget. Won't do the academy plans any good if we get relegated after all.

Does it bother me that we haven't been told exactly what they are so we can all bang on the door if Blooms is a point below target or spends a bit more or less? Not really. Logically they probably want him to do a bit better each year , progress his style of play and hold the culture together so we aren't Steve Evans' but it's a very long season with highs and lows. He'll probably get a bit more leeway on both counts if we need to replace signings who get injured but there's no absolute need to get promoted this year, with Rob there was a real concern if losses kept rising and he ran out of funds, ML unlikely to be affected in the same way.

How much buys you promotion this year if you really want it anyway? Against Birmingham, Wrexham, Huddersfield and others. Sustainable improvement year on year and a splurge or two where needed is probably far more likely to get us where we need to be.

• A bit better each year would indeed be logical but that doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t aim to get promoted or into the play-offs.

I agree, that aspiration is probably not achievable when you take into account the money being spent at our level but aim for the stars and if you fail at least you tried.

• I saw in one place we (supposedly) have the 12th highest wage bill in the league, though someone else said 14th. Either way, it is reasonable to see 12th-14th as "par" and everything above that as overachieving, in my view. I doubt Blooms would get sacked for finishing in line with our financial outlay.

• These are all very sensible posts, but it's not very sexy talking about consolidation, mid table, gnat's gnibbler better than last year type stuff is it.

• The injury to Nathan Bishop clearly has given Matt Bloomfield and the football management team a dilemma as to whether to bring in another goalkeeper before the transfer window closes this week, or rely on the seven-day emergency loan rule for goalkeepers should, God forbid, Franco Ravizolli also succumb to injury.

• You can only sign an emergency loan goalkeeper in the following circumstances -

"Emergency loan signings are permitted, for an initial seven days, when all professional keepers at a club are injured, and certified as such by an independent doctor".

I assume Shala is professional, and therefore would need to "stick one on him" in training to ensure he gets injured in order to qualify for the rule.

• No, Laurie Shala has to have played a minimum of five first-team matches to qualify. Therefore we will be able to loan a goalkeeper should Franco Ravizolli also suffer an injury.

• If Bishop has broken his ankle and as someone suggested he injured it in the Birmingham game, does that mean he played some of that game with a broken ankle?

• I've seen people do their ankle and drive home while the adrenaline is still there keeping them mobile. Then it wears off and they can't move an inch.

But it'd be quite remarkable if he'd played through a proper ankle break unless it happened very late on.

• He says in that Instagram post screenshotted on a previous page that he sustained the injury in the first half. On one hand, kudos to him for playing on... On the other, perhaps it wasn't sensible to lose the team doctor on the cusp of the season?

• The physios we employ are perfectly capable and qualified to assess injuries and, as far as I’m aware, a doctor was on duty as that is an EFL/FA requirement.

• @glasshalffull do you think it sensible that the physios allowed a player to jump around, dive and kick for 45 minutes minimum with a fractured ankle, quite possibly exacerbating the fracture and leading to a longer recovery time?

• “Try and make it a clean break, will ya?”

One for the kids there

• I don’t know the full extent of his injury and whether or not he made it worse by playing on and I assume that you don’t either. As far as I know-and I stand to be corrected on this-there has been no confirmation that his ankle was broken.

• Nathan Bishop posted a picture of his ankle/leg in plaster on Instagram. I’m no medical expert but my medically trained partner has told me it would only get put in plaster if it was broken.

• On 5 May 1956, Manchester City defeated Birmingham City 3–1 in the FA Cup final before a crowd of over 100,000 at London’s Wembley Stadium. It was a remarkable win, considering that the Man City goalkeeper, Bert Trautmann, played the last 17 minutes with a broken neck.

Today's kids....snowflakes....etc etc

• edited August 26

Plaster is also used for certain ankle sprains to help heal or prevent further damage to the ligaments.

• But he’s had an operation. And you don’t have operations on sprains.

• Just this. Sports injuries are treated differently to those suffered by the rest of us. I’ve seen players leave the ground in a surgical boot and be fit to play a week later. Always unwise to guess the extent of injuries until the full details are revealed.

• I don’t remember the physio ever even attending to Bishop during the game. It’s pretty obvious he didn’t realize the extent of his injury until the adrenaline wore off.

• Whatever the injury I just hope that it's Nathan Bishop that stands corrected soon enough

• Hear hear ! Brilliant. You and all your bloody thumbs up. Well, just mine at the moment.

• I had GMac tell me directly that his leg fracture meant his season was over unless we made the play-offs only to play 10 days later (2 seasons ago?).

Anything is possible with player injuries.

Re the injury to Nathan Bishop, I have a vague memory of him seeming to pull up during the first half against Birmingham after a long clearance only to not even call on the physio. I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure.

• You remember correctly. I assumed at the time he'd pulled his hamstring and was surprised he came out for the second half.