Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Wonder if anyone will ever admit to being in that pack of goons who stayed back to abuse him after that Brizzle Rovers defeat.

• Lack of education and Colombian marching powder was my best diagnosis on the day.

• edited August 24

Really weird that. I actually make a point of non stop encouragement for anyone wearing the quarters. Whilst it might not get heard, I am pretty sure that abuse does and how on earth can that help any player. 🤷‍♂️

• edited August 24

• Indeed, and what in earth does booing your own team achieve? Which sadly we've all heard at some point .

• Are we going to be looking at signing another Goalkeeper on a short term deal?

It looks like Bishop had an operation today and who knows what the recovery time will be

• We’ve got Rav and Shala, presumably we can pick up an emergency loan if we need to.

• I really feel for Bishop, but after today, I am not concerned with the starting quality at all. Ravs may end up as our long term permanent keeper at this rate.

• you joking? the bloke is a disaster waiting to happen! few times today he could of easily come off his line and collected the ball.

• We can’t pick up an emergency loan as Ravizolli is an eligible keeper (ie someone who has played more than five qualifying games).

if Bishop is out for anything longer than a month, I would suggest getting in another keeper on a half-season loan.

• edited August 24

Ravizzoli was better in general today and I credited him in my MOTM vote for his performance, but he also could have given two goals away today in other circumstances. Some of his shorter distribution was very wayward - dangerously so. He also seems to have superglued himself to the goal line from set pieces and crosses which never breeds confidence at the back. I gather that he is a popular character in the dressing room and I’m not sure replacing him with a U21 prem loanee sends the right message to the rest of our squad or agents of senior pros at this level. I think we have to begrudgingly accept that Rav will be #1 for now - perhaps not begrudgingly for many on here. Again, he seems like a great guy and I really hope he proves me wrong.

• Sorry, I meant in the event that Rav gets hurt we can get an emergency loan so there’s not necessarily a rush to sign one right now. Although if Bishop is in a cast we probably should.

• I'll take a disaster waiting to happen with a clean sheet over conceding a bunch of goals with disaster on vacation.

I was in favour of Max last season, but I think Ravs has developed quickly, and projects to someone who could be a long term starter. I understand that is not the consensus, of course.

• I've not got much confidence in Rav I'm afraid. He's a great shot stopper, but reckon my old gran would be more commanding in the area and stronger on crosses than him

• what are you basing this on ? he has never let us down and would rather him a million times over max

• To be fair, you could be describing Scott Brown and Ryan Allsop, the keepers we achieved our last two promotions with!

• I've never been totally convinced by Rav, but his record in goal is actually quite phenomenal. Can't really argue with the stats. He must be doing something right to keep the number of clean sheets that he does.

• If he was good enough to take the no 1 from Max, he’s good enough to cover while Bishop is out injured.

• That appears to be the norm. Despite all the evidence and stats demonstrating that he is a very good ‘keeper for us people still don’t trust him.

• Perfect opportunity to show what he's worth for another extended period now.

• edited August 25

Not that he isn't good but better to be lucky than good? and better to be good than popular.

It's getting like when people look at Haaland and say all he does is score goals.

Max wasn't without error and seemed to lose the plot a bit before he left us to supposedly progress on the bench in Poland. Before him you have to go back a while for a universally popular keeper.

Rav deserves a run. Surely better places to use loans up.

• My own take on Ravizolli is he can do a job. He is able to come on in event of injury or sending off or play a game or two and be trusted. But is he capable of making the difference between top six with some magical saves? I don’t think so. Does he have the odd error in him? Yes. With that in mind I think a tough decision is necessary to cover for Bishop.

• Apart from the Morecambe horror show that went from 1-11 in the team I don’t recall Rav letting us down. What I don’t know is how our defenders feel about him.

• He made some really good saves yesterday to be fair to the lad. He is weak at corners and doesn’t come of his line like Bishop but then again neither did Max or Allsop etc.

He deserves a go at it and if we win 2-0 and he has made at least 4/5 good saves then he is OK by me.

• I wasn’t a believer in Rav, but he’s made some cracking saves and his figures speak for themselves.

He made a really good stop yesterday when the game was finely poised and that set up our win.

Yes he isn’t commanding in the box but that can be coached.

On my opinion he should keep his place unless he makes a string of howlers.

• edited August 25

If Ravazolli was an inch or two taller I reckon he’d be playing above our level. Still I think he’s an excellent keeper and absolutely not an issue having him in while Bishop is out and perhaps longer.

Not coming for crosses, whilst adding work for defenders, at least lets them know where they stand and that first balls in are always theirs.

• edited August 25

The stark difference between Ravizolli’s stats and Bishop’s (limited in number and validity as those stats may be) suggests that his tendency to stay on or close to the line does not detract too much from his ability to keep clean sheets. I don’t know exactly how many he has kept, to be fair, but it felt like quite a lot towards the end of last season. And, at Wembley, he was only “found out” by a freak cross cum shot that would have beaten most ‘keepers, especially if they were off their line.

@Blue_since_1990 says he is weak at corners. Really? He and his improving defenders managed to keep nine out yesterday so he must be doing something right.

@StrongestTeam team says it’s better to be good than popular. I don’t think for one minute that he was suggesting that Franco is unpopular (other than with certain fans perhaps whose judgment might not be of the first order). Indeed, Joe Jacobson made a point of saying on commentary last season what a lovely guy he is and how well liked.

See also @Steve_Peart’s post on the MOTM thread.

I hope Franco goes from strength to strength.

• I don’t think any of this is necessarily wrong but for me it’s also about the club I want to support.

We employ a guy to be the back-up keeper and push the first choice all the way for the shirt.

So when the first choice gets inured, given the reserve has shown some genuine aptitude, he should get the opportunity. it’s just fair and sends the right message to the squad as a whole.

We shouldn’t just keep signing more and more players on the basis that the next one is the difference between us being in the top 6 or not. That’s the road to ruin.