Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• There's been a few really poor individual mistakes for goals on top, but the centre mid shape definitely isn't helping anyone.

It'll be intriguing how we regularly look to field Lubala, Wheeler and Hanlan on top of everyone featuring today!

And still people are asking for new signings on top!

• It feels like we haven’t replaced Potts

• For all his skill and grace Potts still had a hell of an engine. Win a ball and make a pass, certainly not a Hollywood player. I honestly thought Leahy would be capable of taking some of that role but it hasn’t clicked yet.

• Potts is a heck of a player to try and replace in fairness.

• Bit like saying we haven’t replaced Dave Carroll.

• Sorry mate, I posted something similar on the other thread before reading this. Not trying to be a plagiarist! I totally agree. Each position should be on merit, and Harvie has been a sieve so far, with nothing going forward either.

• Well we did sign Martin Bullock

• Ultimately, Pattenden is being used a little like Wheeler - stick him wherever there is a need, as he has a great attitude and will put in a shift for the team. But he is not a full back, and that goal showed why. Grimmer would have made sure the ball was out long before being beaten.

• Trying to remember what he was billed as when we signed him, was it actually a central mid, or a right midfielder?

He's had some decent games at full back, like v Northampton. But if ever he'll be tested it's when play gets stretched against a team with Birmingham's resources, as per the 3rd goal.

I saw him looking towards the big screen replaying the goal! Can't have felt good!

• Pattenden said during his interview with @bluntphil the other day that he saw himself as a right wingback. He is still developing into the role and in my opinion he will improve steadily as the season progresses.

• Where is the young lad we signed from Brighton? Another misjudgement or one for the future?

• Harvie had a shocker today and havent seen anything from him yet to suggest he's up to standard. Heavan knows what he was doing for the first goal. Guy looks like a liability so far. Would play both Leahy or Hartridge ahead of him at left back

• Have to agree. He currently looks a bit of a liability. Very poor for Birmingham’s first goal. Hopefully he’ll improve.

• I can't remember where in midfield he was for Worthing, but he does not seem combative enough for the central positions to me, especially when that is already a pretty decent area for us. I think he has had a good game or two in defence, but I am not seeing what anyone is at RB, evidently, aside from an A+ attitude. Today gave me flashbacks to Portsmouth last season when he was also beaten very easily. He does seem a good stature for the position, and if he sees himself at RWB per the quote above, maybe he could even push up further as an understudy for GMac?

• Pattenden great attitude but ultimately he's not up to league 1 standard. Hopefully he'll have a solid career at his standard which is probably around National League.

• You had a tough early morning, negative posts about McCleary, Taf, Harvie and Patt. And that's just 3 posts I saw!

• The lack of patience shown by some fans is bewildering. First Hartridge, now Harvie are being written off after less than a handful of appearances, two players with hundreds of games between them at our level. As someone posted, remember the criticism of Lonwijk when he struggled to settle in immediately and look how he turned out. Give these new guys a chance.

• I tend to agree. Absolutely love Pattenden attitude and work ethic. He’s also a phenomenal man. Sadly I don’t think he’s good enough for this level. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong as his attitude is what you want in every footballer.

• He was man of the match on Tuesday night wasn't he?

• Watching Birmingham yesterday was quite something: power, pace, skill, energy. For a team newly blending they seemed to have shape and strategy as well. Obviously vulnerable to counter attack but they will sort that. The reality is we were second best in every department. No disgrace in that, just a lesson in what £40+ million buys you at this level.

• edited August 18

Jasper Pattenden’s attitude, intelligence and affable disposition are beyond question. Naturally, there are reservations about his ability to cope consistently with the pace and guile of £million pound attackers - he’s by no means alone amongst our defenders in that respect - but he has consistently shown an ability to get to or near the byline and put in good crosses. I even remember one overhit (?) cross from the left last season which he cleverly headed back into the box.

I am convinced that he will prove to be one of the best wingbacks we have had.

• Will we regularly ever play wingbacks though?

We're down to the bare bones at centre back already, without having to find 3!

• edited August 18

While I agree he's more suited to wingback It can be a bit of a cop out , nobody is guaranteed a career in league football. If he wants a good long first team career he needs to improve his defending and his crossing and that probably applies to all of our fullbacks. JJ was a one off so not fair to compare there but we don't have solid fullbacks.

3 at the back seemed to work well in midweek and suit our forwards against very poor opposition but I think for us to do that regularly we need more cover in the centre. it also doesn't really play to Sads or GMacs strengths.

• Really don't get the criticism of Pattenden. He may have struggled yesterday against multi million pound players, the like of which he won't be facing on a regular basis, but he's proven himself already to be a very capable L1 player. And worth remembering he's still a rookie with just a few dozen appearances. He has plenty of scope to improve.

• If our new owner was watching the game I wonder if he will have second thoughts about the steady progression approach to the first team.

• Well, the progressive approach led us to being one of the four best teams in League 1 over the last dozen or so matches of last season.

In the words of the song, we’ve only just begun.

• edited August 18

Writing off some of the new players after 2 or 3 games has been ridiculous.

I don’t think we could have had a much tougher opening two games to a season than newly promoted Wrexham away at there sell out ground. A team who must be full of confidence after the last few seasons, and a Birmingham side that has spent 15 million.

We have 3 new players that have played in back 5/6 depending on formation as well as a new Midfielder in Bakinson that people are jumping on for not setting the place on fire immediately.

sure, vs Birmingham there was a chance to get something while the signings gell, but ultimately, they’ve spent 15 bloody million quid in league 1 and should be so far ahead of everyone else serious heads should roll if they aren’t. I fear for the return leg!

As ever, after 10 games or so we might be able to form some informed opinions but right now anything now is just a bit reactionary.

oh, and we have scored 6? goals in 3 games across all competitions and Vokes has 2 in about 20 minutes, Kones scored and been pressuring defenders for own goals and Udoh is off the mark. The defence will get stronger, I’m sure. The goals and chances seemed our Achilles heal last season, and touch wood, we seem to have that sorted.

• I’m certainly not writing off any of our squad and I’m a firm believer in the sustainability of the club. I’m just speculating on the thoughts of our new owner.

• edited August 18

Very good points, especially the three central defender conundrum. We are arguably short of personnel there but, from what I saw of Declan Skura last season, I feel sure he is more or less ready to step up. I hope he will get the opportunity on Tuesday to show his potential. He is another central defender who likes to get forward and at 6’3” (?) he could be a nuisance (as they say!) at corners and set pieces. Also, Hartridge will no doubt settle into the left sided role over the next few matches.

Matt Bloomfield does seem to incline towards playing three/five at the back but, as you rightly say, that complicates the situation of having two out and out wingers.

Who’d be a manager!