Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• To steal a line from Motorsport, 2nd place is just the first loser.

Not one of that squad looks happy to be 2nd.

Yes, a new manager is a risk it could get worse. But imo, if we were to win the Euros it will be in spite of Southgate’s tactics and not because of.

• Southgate has resigned.

Frank Lampard please.

• Ainsworth is available

• Southgate has resigned. Personally I think it is a win win situation. Southgate is a very good manager particularly at organising a team, albeit his first thought is setting up a team to stop the opposition scoring.

With our current young squad I feel a more positive attitude will benefit us. Somebody in the mould of De Zerbi. Although it wouldn't be popular (on here particularly) I would try and get Klopp.

Southgate will have no shortage of offers, probably at a greatly inflated salary. He has been our best manager for many years but time moves on.

• International record since 1950 (Southgate eight years, others sixty six years)

tournaments won - Southgate 0 Others 1

Overseas finals reached - Southgate 1 Others 0

Finals reached - Southgate 2 Others 1

Semis reached - Southgate 3 Others 4

Walk tall Gareth Southgate.

• Well said, @DevC

• It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. I can't see many big clubs going for him but football's a funny old game.

• I have read all the comments and are broadly in agreement that Southgate has done well, he has created a great team ethic and also, with his earlier work in the age groups must take a lot of credit for bringing on the current group of skilful youngsters. How many really skilful England teams have we had in the years before him? Not many if any.

What I thought was disappointing and indeed surprising, was that he arrived at the tournament without a settled team in his mind, although that is partly due to so many good,, young players coming on the scene in recent months - Manoo, Eze and so on.

Then of course his over-reliance on Kane when the speed and freshness of Toney, Watkins had such an impact.

But my biggest disappointment was the failure of Bellingham and Foden to perform. Surely players who have had such good seasons should have been able to impose themselves on the team and structure. That could not be Southgate's fault. Foden in particular looked a lost little boy at times and Bellingham at times lost his cool and was over aggressive.

The next manager has some work to do!

• edited July 16

I agree, there is only so many times that he & his team can come in 2nd place before everyone starts loosing faith and during the Euro's is the first time people have started questioning and being negative about England's style of play under Southgate.

He won't be the first person to go in the clear out. Walker, Maguire, Tripper, Dunk, J. Henderson and maybe even Kane have all reached a point where they need to question their availability and what they can offer England. Without Walker, Maguire, Henderson & Kane, that was the spine of the England Squads that Southgate has built around so without them, it makes sense that someone new comes in with their tactics and ideas.

Whoever comes in with need to think about their tactics and getting players to work together. Just like Sven & Capello had issues with Gerrard & Lampard. We now have the same issue with Bellingham, Rice & Foden and as a National Team, need to think & find a way for them to work & gel together.

• I agree with @mwite in their post above in us having disappointing performances from players expected to shine. That said, I don’t know enough to have an answer. Is it that Foden, Bellingham can only play one position? Is it that they look world class for club because they play one or two positions in a system that plays to their strengths with hugely talented players to complement them? If that is really the case then such players might be more of a luxury than an essential unless their talents fit what the rest of the squad can deliver.

At the moment it looks like there is a depth of English talent in the top leagues across Europe. We need a manager adept at finding and working with those players and finding those who can flex to the different demands of an international side. Play well out of position, be willing to sit on the bench. I have no idea who that manager is but I’d argue for someone with a clear system in mind that is shaped for tournament football and the steel to stick with it under media and pundit and big ego player pressure.

Over to the FA.

• It's an incredibly hard task. Taking over Southgate, who has done an incredible job with the team's psychology, and trying not to completely rip it apart. Also, we're heading to the WC in the USA, with some games in hot, humid climates, no manager is equipped to deliver the style of pressing and attacking football England fans want, with players who have played a season of frantic premier league football.

• The Gibraltar FA to make official complaint to UEFA following Spanish Men’s National Team Euro 2024 celebrations.

The Gibraltar FA has noted the extremely provocative and insulting nature of the celebrations around the Spanish Men's national team winning Euro 2024.

The Association is this morning taking advice on the filing of a complaint to European Football's governing body, UEFA, in relation to the unacceptable chanting and songs, relating to Gibraltar, sung by Spain's Men's National Team players after winning Euro 2024.

Football has no place for behaviour of this nature.

They were singing that Gibraltar belongs to Spain, obviously.

• He seems to be high up the list if Ten Haag can't get Utd going. Old boys network to some extent. Palace would jump at any chance to employ him, possibly a Brighton or similar too. Will have to choose carefully as if the next job doesn't work out the one after could be levels below.

• edited July 16

The extraordinary thing about that post is that my knowledge about football managers is virtually zilch. But a standout memory from recent years of watching Premier League football on TV was the unexpectedly brilliant flowing football a couple of seasons ago (?) served up by Graham Potter’s Brighton. I could probably name about half a dozen current Premier League managers but for a variety of reasons they seemed unlikely candidates.

I was pleasantly surprised therefore to learn this morning that Graham Potter is currently the bookies’ favourite to succeed Gareth Southgate. I must be more “knowledgeable” than I realised !

Spontaneous, unthinking gut instinct probably describes it better.

• I still think Harry is the better shout. Didn’t he captain Hogwarts when they won the Quidditch World Cup or something like that. Also he does magic.

• I'd go with that.. Hermione as assistant, she'll do the bollockings ! And Ron as bucket and sponge man

• You’re a right card and no mistake!!

Now that you’ve revealed your age, I think you might just be able to relate to that expression.

• Would he bring in Hermione Granger as his assisant?

• That’s very pleasing. I’ve never been able to find references to the phrase on line and I was shocked when I googled Terry Thomas just now to find that he was active mostly about ten years before you were born.

@wingnut might be able to shed more light on the origins of the expression and remember toffs (interesting origins of that word) other than (and perhaps more recent ones) than Terry Thomas who might have used the expression.

• It will never happen, but Ainsworth would be a great England manager wouldn't he?

• Crikey, that’s about as left field as it gets.

Great motivator though.

• If we all post 'Ainsworth for England' across the internet the FA's ai will pick it up and appoint him. That's the way the world works these days isn't it?

• I am as slow as you now in typing out posts and others beat me to silly responses!

• Excuses Excuses. There😛that was greased lightning.