Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• I spent a lot of time saying ‘Gareth, make a change!’ during this Euros - it was nostalgic!

• Depends whether spelt with a k or not. Although then again…

• Ainsworth for England

• On a happy note, these are the English players I really think bumped their reputations during the Euros, in order:

1. Marc Guehi - playing as a defender for Palace is not really a recipe for being a household name, but I thought he was superb for most of the tournament, and at 24, could be an England CB for many years to come.
    2. Kobbie Mainoo - incredible that he is just 19! This season has been spectacular for him, and once the TAA (and then Gallagher) attempts ended, he was the perfect player to be in there.
    3. Ollie Watkins & Cole Palmer - bunched together because they both made the most out of very limited action to show why they should probably have been played more over the "names".

• I am not sad to see Southgate go nor am I happy to see him go, I just think it was time for a change. He has changed the culture of the England team for the better but hopefully someone else can take it on another step. I would like to think that next step would be to make sure the amazing talents that we have coming through can become a team that equals the sums of it's parts at the very least, something I don't think it was in the finals.

• Another aspect following @Shev's post is that there will always be fresh opportunities that a new manager will bring to the National squad. Positions like Right-Back will now be available and this should be TAA or James' focus focus. Also, the need for a left-footed left-back is something that the country needs. Shaw's fitness is a concern and being 29, he's prob got 2 more major competitions in him. Ben Chilwell is 27 so could stake a claim but needs to be more consistent for Chelsea.

We need to find some depth at Centre Back. Guehi is a player for the future but we need another 2 or 3 to stake a claim. Can Konsa make a step-up? Striker is another position that needs to looked at more. Toney needs to find consistency and continue to repair his standing in the game while Watkins is still finding his feet in the international game. With both of them are 28, they'll be 30 for the World Cup, do we have another younger striker who is coming through? Should Palmer play more central? Can he play there? The midfield looks settled, they just need to gel and work together.

Pickford is 30 as well, however, good keepers can have a career into the late 30's, he might still have upto 6 or 7 years on his side but Ramsdale (26) needs a new club for regular minutes while Dean Henderson (27) needs better performances at Palace.

• Some really excellent points here! I think Branthwaite is another one people expect to step up at CB. I am definitely concerned about the 9 issue, as age is not on the side of any of our top three strikers. I am racking my brains to think of an up and coming young English striker and not thinking of anyone, though I am probably forgetting someone obvious!

• As a Scotsman (used to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory & the early return home) I find it slightly wierd how when it comes to club football we all moan about the arrogant entitled attitude of the likes of Reading & Derby fans, but seem to think it is perfectly ok for England fans to display exactly the same attitude.

I think England have a decent squad, that is probably in the top 4-6 in Europe & this summer got the results needed (until Sunday), despite the lack of imagination shown by their manager, however there are at least 2-4 Latin/South America sides who are as good if not better, so I would suggest realistic expectations ought to be WC quarters & Euro semis. (my lot will be happy if we qualify & win a game in our group in USA 2026).

• I'm still bemused how back to back finals aren't good enough when Scotland finish 24th out of 24 and Steve Clarke keeps his job.

• Quansah and Colwill also promising CBs.

Rico Lewis maybe at FB and not aware of another LB or RB coming through. Maybe one we dont yet know (as most of us knew nothing of Mainoo this time last year)

CF seems to be the big weakness for the future again unless there is a bright young thing coming through.

It all looks promising but of course Spain, France and Germany all no doubt have bright young things also coming through.

Euros 2028 is at home ....

Go on Jurgen, you know you want to.....

• Because the best national team they could put out is Championship standard at best.

• edited July 16

I think a good comparison would be the Wycombe-Sunderland playoff final.

Did we do well to get there? Yes (and playing much better than England, too).

Was it massively disappointing that we did not seem to show up at Wembley, and missed an enormous opportunity that would have brought joy to all Chairboys everywhere? Also yes.

Were Sunderland the favourites, and have slightly more talent, just like Spain? Yes.

Were our players still well capable of getting the win, or at least playing much better? Also yes.

Not only that, but if that final had followed a playoff final the year before where we played it as favourites at Adams Park, had a lead and then turtled, the frustration level would be a little compounded.

I have yet to hear a Wycombe fan say "we should just be happy we made it to the playoff final - what a successful season!" or accuse other Wycombe fans of being entitled because of feeling it was a missed opportunity to at least have a go.

I have also yet to see any Wycombe fans claiming Bloomfield is already our third greatest manager because only two managers have achieved a higher finish. It's almost as if context is a thing at club level but not at international level!

• Expectations for England should always be exactly the same as they have been for the last 58 years:

Lose to the first true contender we face in the knockouts.

Expect that, and you will never go wrong.

• At least, in theory, you should never be disappointed.

• Germany 2000?

• Spain 1996?

• Holland 1996?

• Belgium 1990?

• Knee-jerk yank attempts soccer analysis

• They didn't get out of the groups in 2018 (bottom behind SWE, MEX and KOR) nor 2022 (3rd behind SPA and JAP) so hardly a strong Germany team at that point

• edited July 16

Decent squad, 4th to 6th?

Look at that attack. You've arguably got an attack featuring the best player from last season from the English, Spanish and German leagues.

There's not many better right wingers than Saka.

Grealish and Rashford didn't even make the squad.

Palmer could become the best attacker of the lot.

Stones, Walker and Shaw are class acts.

Trent and James can't even get a start over Walker.

Rice is a 100m mid, supported by a wonderkid in the making in Mainoo.

We're absolutely throbbing in talent.

Who on earth are these 3 to 5 teams in Europe with a better squad?!

Maybe I should have stopped at the first 3 words of your post?

• Still time for another edit, @Malone !!

You know how I love them.

• You've still not quite worked out how to quote a post have you

• There wasn't a "hug" emoticon available unfortunately

• edited July 16

I’m known as Mouse but not sure if that is one !!

• It was a good season and it would have been stupid to call for Ainsworth to be sacked.