Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• I agree with you in respect of Southgate, Eric.

If there is a choice between Guardiola or Graham Potter, it doesn't feel like a difficult decision....

• I don't think for a moment Guardiola would take it so, as is often the case, it's a futile debate

I would also personally prefer the England manager to be English, but I appreciate other views are available

• Not sure what your starting line up is with a 4-1-4-1. Assuming Rice and Mainoo in midfield, that presumably means you are only playing one of Foden, Bellingham, Palmer and Saka `- arguably our best four attacking talents - while playing Gordon and Bowen - surely standard Premier League players but no more. Not sure that team would have done anything like as well as we did. I get your point about balance but honestly don't see that as the solution.

• Pickford has kept us in games and made some great saves but his preference for the long ball forward every single time would have Pep pulling his hair out if he still had any.

• Surely that would be rectified by telling him not to do it?

• That of course we don't know Eric. Given that he is opening talking about stepping down from Man City and his next role being perhaps international and that it feels unlikely that the Spain job will be available for a while, I wouldn't be so sure. I'd be checking him out and Klopp as second choice ahead of a bloke who did reasonably well at Brighton for a couple of seasons.

Personally couldn't care less about the nationality of the manager - just whoever is best qualified to finally win something after 58 years.

• The match seemed rather reminiscent of our other big games under Southgate. Simply, get pushed back and don't manage to get out. Then the ball comes back and back and, over time, the game goes against us.

It also seems to me that there are two main arguments in all of this. One is that Southgate has done really well getting us to the end of tournaments. The other is that he's been very lucky with the draws and that as soon as we've played anyone decent, we've been beaten. The two sides are never going to agree.

As I said after the first game, did anyone else think that Foden's Man City form isn't going to translate into England form?

• edited July 15

You keep all of those things the same and do one thing - Southgate manages Spain and Luis de la Fuente manages England I think you see a different country winning the competition.

The press would be higher up the pitch, our wide two will be crossing it into the front man every time they get the chance (instead of stopping, turning and playing it back to the RB) and Harry Kane gets more that one touch in the opposite box for the entire tournament.

We have the team. We have the players. We can and would fill in on any injuries. We didn’t have the tactics.

That last bit isn’t on the players.

• Not 100%, He does it because he often gets the ball under pressure with limited time, isn't great on the ball and probably has limited confidence in his defenders.

Is not all about him tbh as people need to be willing to receive but he seems to not be the calmest. Pep basically threw Joe Hart out for similar.

• If we don't ever try we won't know but it's probably too easy to say if we were more open we would automatically win rather than just conceeding more playing the same game as people who are better suited to it.

• I'm glad someone else has mentioned Bellingham. Arguably a world class talent blighted by an on field attitude that does not help those around him. Needs a bit of growing up, which at his age is totally acceptable of course.

• I don't really watch the pl or any other premier European leagues. But I did get a sense from other England supporters that Jude needed to look at his attitude.

• It’s not about being open - tbh it’s a bit more about the Gareth Ainsworth approach to football in that you are always more likely to score by having the ball in the oppositions half/the last third.

He went with a quick lump forward, Spain went with the high press. But there are several ways to do it.

Southgate goes with the get the ball to the last third, stop and go all the way back again.

Kanes scored 40+ goals this season with support running on and getting defence turning towards there goal. We have players that can do that, but we didn’t put them on, didn’t pick them in the squad or told them to retain the ball and pass it backwards.

• On a positive note there's no need to change the chants.

Football's come home and Two world wars and one world cup and a European Championship don't sound as good.

• Happily the above song wasn't sung in Berlin.

I hope you receive councelling to get over your bitter narrative

• Next World Cup will be fun... everyone qualifies!

• What is this magical team that could have beaten what was clearly the best team in the tournament?

• Paul Daniels in goal

• Debbie McGee ont wing

• edited July 15

England. Like I said, you switch the managers over and there’s a big difference in results imho.

Neither side had messi or Ronaldo in their pomp that ran the game (albeit, Spain might in a few years). Spain were not head and shoulders above England last night.

It was all about tactics and how you set that team up to win

Spain wanted to win - as they have every game.

England didn’t want to lose - as they have every game.

• edited July 15

Of oh course. How silly of me. Can we switch over Nico Williams to play on the left as well please. And Rodri to play DM. That Olmo wasn't bad. Cucarella LB. Feck it, lets swap all the players over.

They had better players on better form this summer. If the tournament was played again in October it may be different. If the ref had given Germany the penalty for Cucarella's potential handball - who knows what would have happened. That's football.

• Oh, and there’s Dev c being willfully obtuse again. Of course

• It shouldn't really need mentioning...but given the behaviour of some people on the Gasroom..the tabloid press..and social media

It's extraordinary that over 100000 people from England travelled to Germany with less problems than a Saturday night in Marlow.

Congratulations to every England supporter for making friends, behaving brilliantly and outperforming average statistics.

There is no doubt (and my Germans friends agree) English fans are the best in the World

• (the Scots and Welsh are obviously close with the same culture, but England have clearly won the fans tournament)

• Fewer problems.

• Japanese fans are the best in the world as they never cause trouble and tidy up after the game is finished.

• Not sure I would agree that we were/are as good as Spain. Looking at the starting lineups which England players do you think would be certain starters in the Spanish team? I would offer up Bellingham, Foden and possibly Pickford. I would normally say Saka but since they have Yamal and Williams that’s open to debate. An on form Kane ahead of Morata? Yes, but Kane wasn’t on form.

• John Stones, I'd say