Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• I think Southgate's done a good job, but I also think it's time for a change.

No doubt he's done far better than any of his predecessors for decades, and you can't knock his consistency at being able to get through the rounds, but we're still a long way from our potential considering the players he has at his disposal and the current international opposition.

Spain were pretty good throughout the tournament, but they're nowhere near the level of other eras of international sides, similarly Italy and Croatia who we lost to as well.

We have the potential to have a side like France late 90s or Spain recently with the attacking talent we have at our disposal. That's not easy to do, or even guaranteed to be possible with any manager, but I think we should be closer to it than we are.

New manager, I'm genuinely not sure who I'd want as I can't think of an obvious ideal candidate but my priorities would be :

Attacking football, to a system not to fit in the biggest names, we have enough quality that it doesn't need to be the "best player" in each position, but the best for the team.

Someone who's a proven winner, our problem as well as style is getting over the finish line in the final.

Won't be a mardy arse, one of the best things Southgate has done which has clearly helped is improve the atmosphere around playing for England.

Preferably English, but also could be someone with a strong history managing in England and is respected. As much as a lot of it is jingoistic bollocks, "getting" the country helps get the nation behind the team, also surely helps bond with the squad.

• I completely agree. Bellingham and Kane have probably been the best players in the world in their positions in the last 12 months. We have a vast array of attacking talent playing at the very highest level - including some who didn't even make it into the squad this time. Rice is an exceptional midfielder, and Walker has been one of the world's best fullbacks for a decade.

Forming them into a cohesive unit is clearly a challenge, but the talent is there at the moment in a way that it hasn't been for a very long time. I am concerned about how many more tournaments we will get out of Kane, and without him we may end up rather like Italy and Germany at the moment, but we have an exceptional opportunity over the next four to six years.

Our record for a country of our footballing 'size' is appalling really. We have never won the Euros - international football can be very cyclical and therefore we have to seize this moment.

• This is self-evidentally nonsensical

We've reached two finals so we've won two semi finals. By definition you are a true contender if you reach a semi final. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous

We beat Colombia on the way to the world cup semi final. They had played so well in the group stage that I think they might have been favourites to win that match. Oh, they played in the final of the Copa America on Sunday. They must be shit.

In the 8 years before Southgate took over we failed to even qualify for one tournament, we got knocked out of another by Iceland in what is genuinely one of the worst football performances of all time, let alone England's, and we finished bottom of a group containing Costa Rica. In the 8 years since we've reached two Euro finals and a world cup semi and quarter final.

Your devotion to Wycombe borders on the cultlike at times. I find it really weird that you are taking this line with England

• It can't be long before Keith Scott's name is thrown into the ring

• The not a mardy arse was written almost entirely with him in mind.

Although having watched a few documentaries and listened to players talk about him, it sounds like that's more to the media and fans rather than in house, but still.

• Ainsworth for England

• Ironically, Spain almost became better when their "best" midfielder (Pedri) got injured and Olmo came in. Shoehorning best players into unfamiliar roles is not the answer. Sometimes best players are used as impact subs these days.

• Ok ok, enough now ladies and gents....

It is what it is.... we lost to Spain in the final of the euros.....

The ins and outs of it, our managers tactics.....timing of substitutions , players he left at home.......

Fuck it! It's over now!

Time to talk WYCOMBE!!!!

• Which hill is better...Amersham or Marlow?

• That anti-Gibraltar chanting by the Spanish team seems pretty disgraceful - @inflikted how’s it going down over there?? I imagine not too well...

• The gibfa have appealed to uefa, but it's not the worst thing is it?

Argentina constantly and anti democratically sing about the 'Malvinas'but FIFA do ef all

• Ergo FIFA supports Nazism

• UEFA have to investigate due to the GFA complaint but not sure they'll do much. Probably a relativel small fine at worst.

Argentina are in a LOT of trouble for their racist chants towards France's black players though. France complained to FIFA and Enzo has managed to completely alienate his Chelsea teammates.

• Word is that if Carsley gets the job, the England U19 boss will get promoted to the U21 job. The current U19 manager? Will Antwi. You may have heard of him.

• Solid centre back

• Do you really think Argen+++a will face any sanctions?

Corruption wins

• edited July 16

Maybe not but Enzo Fernandez has ruined his Chelsea career as the players there want nothing to do with him anymore. Fofana the only one to publicly call him out so far but others have cut social media ties with him.

Either way neither winner from Copa America or the Euros has managed to win with any class.

• Argentina..a nation that blocked African immigration

• You and your badgers @micra

• @Maline badgers me more than most.

• Ainsworth for England

• Nick Freeman.

• In the late 1700s up to half the inland population was black, and a third of the population of Buenos Aires. But through the 1800s they all mysteriously disappeared. Nobody thinks to ask why, though.

• During the 78 World Cup many went missing regardless of 'colour'. The referee against Peru was paid off and. Ar++++na won their first world cup

• LX1LX1
    edited July 16

The lawsuit for those unfortunate families continues to this day

• What a wally Henry Winter is

• At first I thought this was a question asking who is your favourite member of Blur